No customization options are available.

Yesterday......In the neighbor's yard

Discussion in 'USA Northeast Riders' started by Mr. 36654, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Apparently, I now live in the set of a BBC/PBS nature show. The happy hunter was 2-ft from a neighborhood street lined with houses. The menu consisted of rabbit

My apologies for the quality of the picture. I was a bit surprised by the opportunity. rough neighborhood.png

darrell, Bravo, To and Fro and 4 others like this.
  2. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I recommend he try squirrels and roof rats next. :D

3. Mr. 36654

Roof rats?

You mean chipmunks?

4. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

We get a number of raptors passing through our area as they migrate south down the Mississippi flyway. The Redtail Hawks seem to be partial to rabbits, the Swallowtails steal other bird's eggs, and a variety of smaller hawks terrorize our doves. Eagles and larger hawks tend to stay closer to wetland areas. Having a big open field surrounded by woodline gives us a front-row seat for all sorts of natural dramas. Surprisingly, they haven't cut into our poultry stock much...we just lose a chicken to one of our local owls every so often. Coyotes are the biggest threat...followed by foxes and local dogs.

boxter likes this.
  5. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Nope, roof rats. They are big around California this time of year and love to eat whatever you have planted in your yard that you were hoping to eat too. My guess is that they are called roof rats because our homes are all jammed together and it is easy for them to hop from one roof to the next to get around the neighborhood. :eek:

I have no problem with chipmunks as long as they stay off of paved roadways where they tend to provide poor traction after being squished into roadkill. :oops:

Mr. 36654 likes this.
  6. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

Raptors !!! Boy, bet that was freightening, last I heard they was only on Jurassic island.

Ged

Mr. 36654 likes this.
  7. Mr. 36654

Roof rats? And you expect people to visit???

Might as well travel south to view all those foot long cockroaches and swim with the poisonous snakes. Yee Haw, sign me up! Sweat to death most of the year and die from the critters in your backyard.