No customization options are available.

Wunderlich Handlebar conversion

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by damianadv, Jun 26, 2017.

1. damianadv

damianadv Member

I just want to share my experience:
    Since I installed the Wunderlich bar with the bar risers for the R, the handling is much better, much more comfortable seatin/riding position and I am able to move on the seat without problems. I am very happy with this changes and they work perfectly for my liking.

2. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

3. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

Please see my post of Oct. 14,p (above). The MV risers (along with several aftermarket risers or bar conversion to tubular handlebars ("R" model) all offer about 1.5 in back and 1.5 in. forward. It sounds like you have the Helibar "Risers" rather than the Oct. 14 post about using Adjustable Helibars for the R1200GS WC. This type of conversion to round bars offers up to 2-4" back and 2-4" up. Most Cast Risers are around $125 and are bolt on. The Helibar R1200GS and the Wunderlich conversion to "R" type round bars, mentioned above, are around $500 and offer up to 4" of up and back. I sprang for the $500 bucks because I tried the Helibar Cast Risers and still needed more up and back for my short stature. After 16k miles I love the Helibar conversion due to complete (6 way) adjustability.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  4. damianadv

damianadv Member

5. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

Your risers are 1"high only (no back), Wunderlich "R model" 31000-301 risers are 1 1/4 higher, 1" back, Helibar "R Model" are 1" higher and 1 1/4" back. There are other bar back risers on aftermarket for "R" models however all seem to offer 1 to 1 1/4 higher and 1 to 1 1/4 back. If you are a mid size guy (5' 8" to 5' 10" or so) you might find you would be happy with a bar back riser (rather than the ones you have now). If you are shorter or have a short arm length you may find the 2 - 4" up and 2 - 4" back (adjustable) Helibar R1200GS WC right up your alley. You can turn your upright only riser upside down and they will work as handle bar clamps for 1 1/4 round bars.

6. Tony Deek

Tony Deek New Member

I appreciated reading this thread regarding handlebars and bar risers for the r1200rs. I'm going to pursue the Helibar risers for the R1200GS WC. Ron, did you end up using GS bar ends, or were you able to use your original r1200rs bar ends?

7. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

8. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

Tony, I actually used a Helibar for a Honda ST1100 (a 2016 post detailed the install) and therefore had to use ST1100 bar ends. I checked the part numbers for a OEM (flat bar) RS and they are different (as are the screws) than the part numbers for a GS. Both are priced the same so it is possible you will have to purchase GS bar ends and screws (about $100 total). The screws on your RS are 8x35mm on the GS they are 10x50mm Fillister head. The OEM GS bars are round so my guess is that the bar end weights are different to accommodate the difference. Maybe a trip to your friendly dealer or to a friend w/a GS, unscrew a bar end and compare, you might just have to buy 2 screws. Again my guess is that your RS bar ends will fit but might a might have a slightly different weight (thus a bit different damping) and require drilling holes to larger GDS screws..