No customization options are available.

Wunderlich Handlebar conversion

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by damianadv, Jun 26, 2017.

1. damianadv

damianadv Member

Hi,
    Is anyone using this bar replacement?
    http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/31000501-502.html

I am interested but first I would like to hear what you guys say about it.
    Is it worth the investment?
    Are you happy with the results?
    Could you post some photos if you can please?
    I have the Helibars installed and i am not quite satisfied with the results. I still need the handlebar higher and backwards a tad more. ( I know, I shouldn't buy the R1200R instead, no no, i like the look of the RS much better).

Thank you for your help
    Damian

2. Johann

Johann New Member

Whats the difference? obviously the color but...

3. damianadv

damianadv Member

It is like the one on the R1200R
    Wider and more comfortable for more relaxing seating position

4. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

I do not believe you can achieve a "higher" or "more backwards" with this conversion compared to a Helibars (not Helibar Risers) install. The Helibars (for R1200GS are a bolt on solution, after rerouting the clutch and brake lines to behind the bars) and are 5" in height. The Wunderlich bars list the height at 100mm (3.94 in.). So far the R1200GS Helibars offer the most up and back (and have six way adjustment) of any "better up and back" bar solution I have found for the RS.

5. damianadv

damianadv Member

T
    Thanks for the reply
    If I am not mistaken the Helibars for GS are different than the one for the RS which don't have adjustability and different positions and there is no need for the lines to be replaced right?

6. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

Damianadv, take a look at
    Just so we are clear, the Helibars (for R1200GS WC fit our RS) however you do have to reroute the clutch and brake lines to feed down behind the handlebars and triple clamp. (see attachments) R1200G Helibars.png 6CableRouting.jpg . Following is instructional text,

I rerouted the hydraulic lines behind the top half of triple clamp (#6). Reroute the clutch hydraulic line (per the video available on Hornnig’s website)(remember to find and cut the hidden plastic tie behind intake tube). I cut the top plastic tie for the Brake Line.
    Using BMW workshop manual I removed the Clutch and Brake Master Cylinder lines, repositioned the master cylinders to new bars and reinstalled lines. (Follow BMW instructions for replacing lines without bleeding). Next check full bar swing both left and right for Hydraulic Line clearance and then retie the lines to the uppermost provided tabs on upper frame.

The Wunderlich bar conversion converts the flat bars to those that are stock on a R1200R and I do not believe they require rerouting the clutch or brake lines.
    (See "Short Riders Solution to Bar Backs" post and "Wunderlich Hand Guards" post for a lot of info on Handle Bar and Comfort solutions.
    Ron

7. damianadv

damianadv Member

8. damianadv

damianadv Member

Anyways, it seems like nobody tested the Wunderlich bars yet.....

9. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

Hopefully the posts about handlebars has helped defined three classes of "up and back" handlebar solutions.
    1. Bar risers (almost all in the 1 - 1 1/2 rise with 1 - 1 1/2 back) are offered for our OEM flat bar RS. Many riders will be happy with just a little more "up & back" unless they are shorter riders. No cable modifications or rerouting are required.
    2. Using the round bars from Wunderlich offer 3.94 in. of rise and since they are round you have a radius of 3.94 in from pivot point in triple clamp. I have not measured the height for OEM R bars. The Wunderlich bars are less expensive than purchasing R bars and matching triple tree top clamps. The website pictures indicate the cables remain in original routing. I suppose medium height riders with a comfortable seat height will like this solution.
    3. Helibars (for R1200GS WC models) offer 2-4 in. height and 2-4 in rear adjustable offset. This is a 6 way adjustable bar (Amazon at $595 incl. shipping). The bar end weight part numbers for the RS and GS are different so my guess is that you must also purchase GS bar end weights. You must reroute the brake and clutch cables to behind the bars and triple clamps but you use the OEM brake and clutch hydraulic lines. There are several suppliers for bolt on Hand Guards for the GS should you seek additional wind protection. The Heli Adjustable Bars, a low seat (29.9 in option), a PowerBronze 535mm windshield and a Laminar lip (with top of lip at same height as top of shield) completed my adjustments for a 5ft 6' rider. 14k miles in first year and all is good!.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  10. damianadv

damianadv Member

Good write up

Thanks

11. mreeter

mreeter Active Member

I know this is an older Thread, but I wouldn't have known of the Wunderlich version of this Bar Conversion otherwise.

So, yes I have installed the new Wunderlich Bars and they fit great and look the same as the BMW "R" Bars that I've seen also. The install was not too bad, just took some time, disconnecting the switchgear was the most tedious part. You have to remove the switch components to gain access to the screws that hold the controls in place on the Factory Bars and the replacement set.

Other than that process, it was a pretty painless project. I rerouted the Electrical Wiring to outside of the Triple Tree to free up some slack, the wiring was a little tight in the "stock" position, as well as the Brake/Clutch Cables. I'm planning on rerouting those cables as well, especially if I pop for some Bar Risers.

Love the wider feel of the new bars and the more "upright" position they put you in. My Arthritic joints appreciate the move as well.

IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1680.JPG

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  12. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

mreeter - glad to see you are happy with your solution to more "up and back" handlebar position for the RS. If, in addition to the conversion to r1200"r" bars you obtain a set of bar risers for R1200r (several in aftermarket community) it appears that the results of your conversion (r1200r type of bars plus a set of r1200r bar risers) vs using the Helibars for an r1200gs are nearly the same. The Helibar r1200gs conversion offers more adjustability. The main point for all of this is that "yes" there are several solutions to more "up and back" handle bar position problems yet still use the stock brake and clutch hydraulic lines.
    rmiller21@bak.rr.com

13. mreeter

mreeter Active Member

Yes sir, I'm looking at the Helibars Risers for the "R" Model to be next ( 1" up, 1-1/4" back). I recently install a pair of the Knight Design Lowering Pegs also, I'm getting the RS more "Old Man" user friendly all the time!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  14. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

R bars and the Helibar risers, (which I have already), seem like the most practical way to go. If the GS helibars are the same price or less, then it's hard to ignore that option. Decisions decisions...

15. mreeter

mreeter Active Member

I've attached some pictures in this thread http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/helibars-handlebar-risers-sold.4508/ of some before/after shots.

I thought I would have to install a new, longer Brake Line, but I managed to get by with the Factory one by rerouting and tweaking a bit.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  16. Dorschdn

Dorschdn New Member

Hi,

if it's just for higher and back i can also recommend the MV handlebar adapter, additionally it looks great imho.
    And no rerouting needed.

If you also wish to have a wider handlebar for more agility, well then forget my post.

best regards

Bunter likes this.
  17. gc141x

gc141x New Member

Just had Wunderlich risers installed by Sportland Motorsports, Champaign, IL. Makes a big difference to me in terms of comfort. The bike seems to understeer slightly but I adjusted to the new feel in a few miles.

18. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

There seems to be a bit of confusion on my notes about the Helibar handlebar conversation for the R1200GS WC and the Helibar Risers for the R1200R and R1200RS models. Please go to You Tube and enter Helibar R1200GS and select videos about their R1200GS Horizon Risers. With the addition of a set of R1200R clamps this adjustable solution to handlebar risers will fit the R1200RS. The results are near the same price of the Wunderlich conversion from flat to R1200R type round bars and offer close to the same "up and back" dimensions. The main feature of the Helibar conversion is they are 6 way adjustable (as shown in video #2)

19. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Thanks for that I wasn't aware of these, do you find they affect the handling at all?

Bill

20. Dorschdn

Dorschdn New Member

Well, technically they don’t affect the handling because there is no change in the geometry. But from my Personal perspective the handling did improve.

I think the reason might be, that with the more upright position I don‘t tend to support my hands on the handelbars as much as before. And thus my grip is looser, which in the end improves handling.

As my teacher always said (might lose a bit in translation):

„Dude, it‘s called handlebar not hold-tight-bar“

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Bunter likes this.