No customization options are available.

Wolo Horn

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Sideshow Bob, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Swedkg , that is because you have a civilised society. It is not the same elsewhere.

Leon.P. likes this.
  2. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

+1 on that
    I had FIAMM Hi and Lo horns with a relay that I installed on another bike and am planning on doing the same with my soon-to-be R1200RS. Sounding like a regular car horn helps get attention when needed because drivers are used to that sound. I think it takes other drivers a bit longer to register the sound from a wimpy bike horn whereas a typical car horn gets their attention right away.

Aussie Import likes this.
  3. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I like the way the drivers in the Philippines determined the right of way. They used the "Lug Nut Rule".

He who had the most lug nuts, had the right of way. It seemed to work well.

Chris

4. Aussie Import

Hi AZGeek

I got a Nippy Normans cable to take the switch function for the relay. I removed the std horn (stepped off the bodywork for access), mounted the relay where the horn sat, ran a fused HOT lead to the relay. I mounted the horns from the frame bosses under the radiator and wired their earths back to the battery. I used thick wire with good crimp connectors. Has worked well and reliably for 2 years so far.

AZGeek likes this.
  5. Aussie Import

Hi AZGeek

I got a Nippy Normans cable to take the switch function for the relay. I removed the std horn (stepped off the bodywork for access), mounted the relay where the horn sat, ran a fused HOT lead to the relay. I mounted the horns from the frame bosses under the radiator and wired their earths back to the battery. I used thick wire with good crimp connectors. Has worked well and reliably for 2 years so far.

6. swedkg

swedkg Active Member

Obviously not. Where I come from, the first sound of a horn comes a split second after the traffic light turns green. Maybe I a celebratory thing or something. Even seen people waiting in the first row doing that. It's just that they are so used to it that it became second nature.

boxerboy and Grumpy Goat like this.
  7. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

:D Must be like in India .... I am told that those guys will not feel right unless they are blowing their horns at least sometime while driving, riding, whatever .... even if there is no one else on the road.

8. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Wayne, the bell, lucky charm or does it serve a purpose? Camping alarm?

9. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

I don't think I have ever used the horn on any bike as far as I can remember...other than to check to see that it works - usually prior to the annual safety inspection. ;)

James Bagley likes this.
  10. Grumpy Goat

That is called a gremlin bell. :) It has quite an important function actually. Read about it here. :)

boxerboy and Peter Burridge like this.
  11. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I like :)

12. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Usually found near the Marvel Mystery Oil....

13. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

Excellent video Mr. Goat, thank you for taking the time to make it! I think I can pull that installation off. I will be ordering tonight but will opt for the wiring harness for $26 vs the can-smart controller for $240, although the ease of it is tempting. I have an Eastern Beaver 3-circuit solution under the seat and it will be easy to connect the harness there for power, same as I did with my V-Strom.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Grumpy Goat likes this.
  14. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

Project us underway, so far so good. All panels off and I've run the wires to where the need to be. The harness has a lot more wires and is quite a bit more bulky than the CanSmart controller. The problem I'm running into is finding a place under the seats for all that mass since I already have an Eastern beaver 3-circuit distributer under there.

The compressor is mounted right where you put yours, Mr. Goat. I don't have crash bars (since I don't plan to crash, lol) but that hole on the frame is perfect for a bracket which I already had several 3" ones laying around with ready made holes. I'm glad I grabbed a variety of them from a hardware store a couple of years ago under the "you never know when you might need these things" dept.

So after I figure out where to stuff all the wires, I will mount the horn, run the tubing and let 'er blast.

15. Grumpy Goat

There is a fair bit of room under there and I expect that you will spend a significant portion of the installation rearranging that area and all the wires going to both the distributor and the CanSmart controller. I am interesting in seeing some photos of the under-seat area and the mounted lights when completed.

: Horn, Wolo