No customization options are available.

Wolo Horn

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Sideshow Bob, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Member

Fitted a Wolo horn this week following the instructions from the Hornig site
    Was slightly unimpressed because I thought that it would have been louder
    Have no modified the installation to have the original horn working as well and I have to say that they appear to complement each other, the low tone from the Wolo and the higher pitch from the standard horn - going to finish off the installation over this weekend

2. Al D

Al D Active Member

I just bought a cheapish pair of car horns, that looked similar, and fitted the high tone on the opposite side of the bike. Nice and loud :cool:

3. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I went on a mission trip to the Philippines in the beginning of November. One thing I noticed there was that everyone used their horn. A lot. Traffic was a mess...but moved well. Sort of like water moving through a bayou. Some places moved faster than others and the vehicles found the openings they fit in and moved through.

But the use of the horns was unlike what I see here in the USA. The drivers used their horns with a light tap to politely let the other driver know they were there. There was no rudeness. No road-rage. Just a polite tap on the horn.

Chris

Leon.P. likes this.
  4. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

I'm very disappointed I have not been about to mount an actual air horn on this bike. On my V-Strom, piece of cake and took an hour. On the Beemer, I just can't find a place to mount it.

Mr. 36654 likes this.
  5. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

I can honestly say that in nine months of RS ownership I have not sounded the horn a single time...

6. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I'm in about the same position. As wimpy as my bike horns have been, I've noticed that drivers merging on the freeway with their windows rolled up, sit up and take notice when I have used it in the past. But I generally don't even think about using my horn.

If I use my horn...following the logic...I have enough time for the other driver to (a) hear my horn, (b) notice the problem, (c) take action. And if they don't take action to avoid the problem... (d) I need to take action. It's far easier to simply avoid the situation on my own.

7. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

I could honk the horn, but the other driver has the option of shooting me........

duccrazydave and Leon.P. like this.
  8. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Loud horns are useful in heavy traffic and in the suburbs. The louder they are the better.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Leon.P. likes this.
  9. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

With Freeways and multi lanes of traffic I tend to ride with my thumb on the horn button but only needed to use it a couple of times. I would always try to move ahead or behind steady traffic but as that is not always an option my horn button is at the ready. Predicting what drivers may do in their cars is a challenge in it's self. A laud duel horn can help. It may even wake some drivers up and stop them from eating their breakfast. Putting make up on. Reading the news paper or street directory and lets not forget Texting whilst travelling at 50-90 km per hour. Other than those few ongoing problems with our drivers here in Australia I try to stay as far away from them as I can. I am very lucky as there is only 2 sets of lights before I am out in the country side with open roads. Some people need to commute and ride in peak hour traffic and that's risky.
    I have just found out that our government in their infinite wisdom have just spent $$$$$$ to do a study costing $$$$$$ to tell us riders are more likely and do have more accidents on a SATURDAY rather than any other day of the week. They have not mentioned Sundays which for a lot less $$$ I could have told them would possibly be the next worse day in the week. That could be the next part of their study next year for similar $$$$$$. We could all have a good lough if this was not such a huge waist of our $$$$$$.
    Sorry it's time for me to get off my soap box. Happy Riding to All.:);)o_O

Jim Evans likes this.
  10. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

The Denali SoundBomb works on the RS. I have the split one on mine and someone else says that they mounted a one-piece one. Both are in the standard horn location. I have a video covering how I did mine.

11. Grumpy Goat

:D :D
    Troublemaker .... :D

12. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

In rural America, honking your horn usually elicits one of two responses.....
    1) The more he honks, the slower I go....
    2) Keep honking, I'm reloading....

That's why we're the best.

13. r80sdon

r80sdon Active Member

I would love the details on how to get the stock horn to work in tandem with my Wolo...please post!

Scorch likes this.
  14. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

It depends on how good you are with a soldering iron. My tip, don't bother. Fit a matched set of horns. I use FIAMM horns, but you can use anything you like. All you need is a fused relay.

AZGeek likes this.
  15. Grumpy Goat

Haha ... couvfefe!! :D:D

No one is stopping us from bringing our own guns. The more the merrier.

Leon.P. and swedkg like this.
  16. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I did it but I used the 'Canopener' horn output from my Clearwater installation to initiate's relay.

You can just take a feed from the existing horn live to the relay too, that would work as well. Tap into the supply to the existing horn and use that as your Wolo relay supply.

I find that the Wolo compliments the standard horn well. Maybe I'll fit a Denali over the Winter as they are much better. I had one on my ST1300.

The horn discussion has come up before. When riding a bike, especially in the congested UK there are times when you reach a point of no return, where if someone pulls out your goose is well and truly cooked. If I'm getting particular warning signals like they haven't looked properly or they are creeping forward then my thumb is already on the button and looking for an opportunity to sound it. It has saved my bacon. Thankfully firearms sanity reigns over here.

Jim Evans likes this.
  17. Grumpy Goat

Don't you think that connecting them in series like that could cause a change in the CAN Bus voltage that might lead to error codes? I have no idea how fault tolerant the Bus is, so pardon my ignorance on this.

I too connected the CANSmart switch and the Denali SoundBomb while the stock horn was still connected and I had both horns sound with the press of the horn button.. Then I proceeded with the disconnection / removal of the stock horn since I installed the SB horn part in the same spot.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  18. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

It may cause an issue Wayne and it certainly would if you tried to power both from the one supply but in my experience the relay load is very light and it doesn't cause a problem. Do you have a thread on your Denali fitment Wayne? It'd be a good Winter project.

Peter

19. Grumpy Goat

No thread but a small video giving the highlights of the installation.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  20. swedkg

swedkg Member

In the 3+ something months of owning mine, I used it once, on a guy that was texting on a traffic light. It was uncomfortable. People here don't use their horns.

: Horn, Wolo