No customization options are available.

Wind protection other than windscreens

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Last, Sep 28, 2017.

1. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

What happens in Paris stays in Paris..

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

UKFORUM1 works as well if you are in the UK - 10%

3. TheGarratt

TheGarratt Active Member

Just picked up the Powerbronze wind deflectors from the Bike Show at the NEC (Motorcycle Live) - cheaper than listed at £55 (in case anyone is going)

4. GordonH

Did you get the tinted, clear or coloured variant? If tinted, how do they compare to the OE winglets that are fitted as standard - same tint?

.....and how do they work out? Do they deflect the wind well?

5. TheGarratt

TheGarratt Active Member

I went for 'Dark tint' (they have light tint too) - and looks spot on in matching the colour scheme.
    They're a 'fraction' darker than the factory witted winglets, but only when you put the torch right up to it - in normal light you can't tell the difference. (I saw the light tint option at the show, and the dark tint I think works better as a better match).

I haven't ridden it with them on yet (there was a washer missing in the packet, but they're posting them on free-of-charge) - but looking how they fit on in position, it looks like it should easily divert the flow of air over the hands well.

ccer likes this.
  6. GordonH

Thanks for the update. I think I'll give them a go (using Wessie's discount code).

Do they fit using existing holes or do you have to drill new ones?

7. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I have been using the wind deflectors for a couple of years and like their function, but they do look a little odd as they don't quite fit with the styling of the RS and they are not quite symmetrical when installed. No holes to drill, just a couple of Velcro tabs to stick on the fairing plastic. One thing about the deflectors, they sure pick up a lot of bugs. I think they intercept more bugs than the windshield. o_O

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  8. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

For folks that require wind/rain protection for their hands only occasionally, the Aerostich Triple Digit glove covers are the business. They fold down to the size of a pack of smokes and they allow you to use your favorite gloves underneath. It is so hot here in Louisiana that full-time hand fairings can be a liability...

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-triple-digit-covers.html

9. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I use those glove covers when I am riding my Triumph and I really like them. They are completely waterproof and seem to add about 10 degrees of warmth to my gloves. Plus, as James mentions, they are very light and pack up really tight, making them easy to stuff somewhere on your bike for when you might need them.

10. TheGarratt

TheGarratt Active Member

No drilling needed - You remove the two inside triangle fairing panels (immediately to the left/right of the forks, with the two bolts on each.
    Then the deflectors fit using two new bolts in the same holes, plus a 3M velco grab fixing for where it rests along the top of the main side fairing.

11. GordonH

Thanks TG.

Just had a pair delivered and fitted them yesterday evening - very straightforward.

Have yet to check out how they function but they look like they will deflect a good proportion of the wind blast (I'm using stock bars and mounts)

TheGarratt likes this.
  12. GordonH

Went for an extended ride today - deflectors do what they say on the tin and deflect most of the windblast away from the tops of my gloves, temperature wasn't too low today (8deg c) but didn't need the heated grips on........so far, so good.

As already posted, they mostly fit in with the look of the bike but are a little odd from some angles......but much more in keeping than bar protectors.

Last likes this.
  13. James Bagley

I actually think that they are an elegant solution. The dark tint looks pretty good.

Last likes this.
  14. GordonH

Hi James - yes it works well - but it could've been engineered a little better. For example, I think the OE winglets are injection molded whereas the deflectors are formed and cut, leaving a rougher finish on the edge.

I'm being a bit picky here as, overall they do the job and don't look shabby by any stretch.

Last likes this.
  15. James Bagley

If I lived in a colder place, these would be on my “wanted” list (though our temperature today would warrant it...it’s below 20 deg Fahrenheit this morning!). I need all the airflow I can get in the summer months...

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  16. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Below 20 degrees F! Not bad James, actually pretty balmy. It was -11 F with a wind chill of -35 F this morning. :eek: I bet our friends in Minnesota have it even colder. We just try to avoid even thinking about riding this time of year. :(

17. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I bet it's nasty up there today.
    It was -23F when I took Debbie to work at 6AM today. That's without wind chill.
    It looks nice out though. Sunny with fresh snow on the ground.

ray2 likes this.
  18. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

(Of course, Iowans generally wear clothes when out of doors, and don't need to worry about wind chill.)

Good sleeping weather to recover from the summer's activities.

0 deg F here in St. Louis, and a little snow left over from the 24th, but on general principle, I got out on the bicycle earlier and I'm taking my afternoon coffee on the front porch.

• Too cold for salt to work on the roads.
    • Too cold to ice skate.
    • But plenty of traction for those cross-country skis to stay in shape for the riding season....