No customization options are available.

Wind protection other than windscreens

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Last, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Last

Last Active Member

2. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I have a CalSci wind screen, mid length (similar to the stock RS) but a bit wider and much simpler shape. (straight in the vertical axis and simple curve side to side)...this is conducive, in my opinion, to more laminar air flow resulting in less noise and turbulence. I like the extra width as it keep the rain off my chest, which the stock windscreen dumped there. I bought this in early 96 shortly after I seen a day riding in the rain with the stock wind screen.

Aero flow is relatively new to the RS.

I did have a full set of Aeroflow bits, screen, deflectors on my old F650GS twin which i put over 50k miles on and a trip to Alaska. I was very pleased with the results...but was NOT perfect.

There is NO perfect wind screen. The rider, top box, etc etc all effect airflow.

My suspicion its that the RT is likely the best integrated design to manage air flow that is possible to buy. If protection , noise, turbulence your highest priority, go with the RT. Everything else is a compromise from that.

From a helmet only perspective, clear air is the best circumstance.

3. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I quite like the look of those Aeroflares. Speaking purely personally, as someone who loves this bike tremendously, if I found myself looking for such devices (and or raising the bars, lowering the footrests and fitting a barn door screen) I'd realise that the RS wasn't the best bike for me.

But, then again I do live in an area where straights are short and bends are a'plenty. I also work to be as dynamic as I can with my bike handling rather than sit on and go. I appreciate that things are often very different in the US.

4. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Peter, others have also made the "wrong bike" comments and I feel compelled to discuss. No stock bike has ever fit me perfectly...I have always started out ownership by figuring out how the ergonomics can work for me. Sometimes that means turning to the aftermarket for a better screen or saddle. In addition, BMW has all manner of touring options available for this machine. Despite it's pigeon-hole in the lineup as "sport," this bike is clearly a traveler. My point is, it is no more the "wrong bike" for me than it is for you. I love the lightish weight, handling, and braking, but I will use this machine for trips measured by thousands, rather than hundreds of miles. Comfort and better control matters...

Or maybe you're right. Which means I also bought the wrong bicycle. I changed out the saddle, pedals, stem, and handlebars on that rascal.

5. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Of course if you want to take any bike and modify it to suit you James that is good. I have a bit of a 'hobby horse' about good riding technique as most are probably aware :rolleyes: and I get a bit agitated when riders get around poor technique by making a sports tourer into an armchair. In the UK the RS doesn't qualify as a sports bike.

But that's my 'stuff' :D and I don't want to fall out with anyone about it.

I cycle too, I've got 5 at the last count. My bike saddles are higher than my bars which are always 'proper' bars (except on my TT bike) and I use clip ins. So I'm fiercely conventional and old school there too :D

Grumpy Goat and James Bagley like this.
  6. kenf

kenf New Member

Yes, I do have an aeroflow windscreen. I've had it for about 2 weeks and it works really well for me. The windscreen is 231/2 " tall and mounts to the lowest 2 screw holes and the upper most 2 screw holes of the oem mount. I'm 6' 1'' tall, with a 32" inseam. My RS has the standard height seat and NO bar backs as well. Also, when the screen is in the UP position, I just look over the very top of the windscreen without having to stretch to see over it.

Back in the early 1990s I used to see Aeroflow at the the 49er Rallys here in California. Many people bought them because of their design. The one on my RS allows air to come up behind the windscreen, however the majority of the air runs up the screen front and is flipped up over the upper curved lip to join the slower moving air coming up the back side of the shield. It really works for me.
    Additionally, in the UP position the screen does not flutter causing a distraction. I can ride with my face shield open and get descent air flow (puffs of air coming of the shield) . I'm not referring to a steady blast of air.

As yet I have not purchased the Aero Flares as the mounting instructions are just being finished up. I'll see if I can get a few pictures posted if anyone is interested.

kenf

Mr. 36654 and Last like this.
  7. Last

Last Active Member

Thank you, I'd appreciate the photos. I read on this forum that the aeroflares didn't get the wind off their hands enough and they went to wunderlich.

Anyone seen any wind deflectors that bolt up where the side canards are, or for the legs?

8. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Which aeroflow model is it?

Personally, I like the aeroflow folks and miss seeing them at the rallys in the US. Scratch and dent is the way to go.

9. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Guys, I hate to mention this but the OP made this a thread about NOT windscreens. We have discussed windscreens ad nauseam and have come to the same conclusion - there is no perfect windscreen.

So what are the alternatives to windscreens, other than ditching the motorcycle in favour if a car?

Last - you mentioned "weather protection" (the best solution being a raincoat) in your original post - was that your intent, or did you actually mean "wind protection other than windscreens"? Judging from your posted links it seems that the latter is your intent.

That said I don't think that there are many other options other than some sort of deflector on whatever parts that needed to be shielded. Someone mentioned that the small winglets that come with the RS are also there to help deflect wind away from the body. The AeroFlares look interesting and are designed to be fitted above the stock winglets.

[​IMG]

Last likes this.
  10. kenf

kenf New Member

There are various lengths of windshields for the RS. The one I chose was the "TALL" version which is 231/2'' tall. I believe they only come in clear. In the drop down box for the RS you see the different heights and widths give for the shields being offered.

ken

11. kenf

kenf New Member

Apologies to all regarding windscreens. I'm in agreement with Grumpy Goat that windscreens are personal preference for how they perform, fit, etc. I will install the AeroFlares as soon as they become available.
    kenf

Last likes this.
  12. kenf

kenf New Member

First photo screen in the low position. Second photo in the Up position, Third photo screen in low position, Fourth photo in the Up position. I used as a reference the green light pole in center.

kenf

Attached Files:

13. kenf

kenf New Member

Powerbronze offers lowers in various colors for the RS. They have photos of the lowers installed on a GS. They have a part number for the RS as well.

kenf

Last likes this.
  14. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Gaucho - I used one when winter commuting 35 miles each way. Not needed on my current 10 mile commute but it really worked with my R1150GS. Can't see why it would not work with the RS - this version has flaps that protect your feet below the cylinders.
    http://www.tucanourbano.com/gb/gaucho-9144.html
    [​IMG]

Last likes this.
  15. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

You've gone too far this time!!!!!!

16. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Here is my Super Tenere in winter mode in Feb 2013.
    winterized2.jpg winterized1.jpg

Last and Grumpy Goat like this.
  17. Last

Last Active Member

18. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

duccrazydave likes this.
  19. kenf

kenf New Member

You're welcome.
    In looking at the Powerbronze hand flares, it looks like they're attached to a couple of the oem screws. I think there's 7 photos on the web where you can get a good glimpse of how they fit.

The leg protection for the RS really tempted me because it would be so easy to install for winter or an extended trip. Once home, remove for another day.
    All the best.
    kenf

Last likes this.
  20. Chiefmoto

Chiefmoto Member

Hello All.
    I just purchased a set of Wind Deflectors from Powerbronze they are still giving a 10% discount if you use the discount code USAFORUM1. This was a discount code from a year ago but I tried it and it is still working. I also want to give a shout out to Powerbronze for there past support to members of this forum and for the wide range of products they offer. My purchase was on the USA website.