No customization options are available.

Will the Navigator IV work with my RS?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by mzpog, Oct 23, 2017.

1. mzpog

mzpog Member

I've got the opportunity to buy a navigator 4 cheap and wanted a definitive answer regarding if it will work with my RS.

I've seen conflicting answers so thought I'd post on here to see if anyone can confirm.

duccrazydave likes this.
  2. boxter

boxter Active Member

I have a navigator 1V on my rs, works ok with the bar roller but all it does is flick through the screens, you cannot actually select any function. It doesn't transfer any data between the computer and the nav to my knowledge, I like mine, I do not like too many functions, old man like me gets confused easily.

Ged

mzpog likes this.
  3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Definitively - Yes, if it works at all, it works with the RS. :)

There is full GPS functionality as well as music storage / playback etc. The Jog wheel works to go back and forth through the screens, zoom the map, and maybe even scroll up / down through menu items (not totally sure on this last bit though). There is no provision for motorcycle telemetrics as in the Nav V and Nav VI.

If you need GPS, basic music storage and playback and would like to use the jog dial, and don't want to spend the full price for a Nav VI then buy the Nav IV. That is what I had before getting the Nav VI.

4. mzpog

mzpog Member

Thanks for the response GG. I might purchase a 4 as can be had for much less than a 5. I didn't know either had music facility, that would be a plus if it will pair up with my scala team set.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  5. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

You are welcome. When I got my RS I bought a Nav IV for much the same reason - cost of the Nav V.

6. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Don't stress about fractional savings and buying old tech. You never know when you're going to go. Enjoy your limited and ever decreasing time here.

7. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Member

I'll vouch for the functionality of the Nav IV. It's just as GG described. And the menu page does interact with the jog wheel (display off, go home, etc).
    Works great with my '16!

8. mzpog

mzpog Member

Bought a IV and works fine, however not tried the jog wheel to see if/what it does.

9. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

It also interacts with the trip computer and will tell you when range is down to 30 miles....and show nearby petrol stations at this point.

duccrazydave likes this.
  10. boxter

boxter Active Member

Mmm, my mk IV does not interact with the trip computer re miles left, you can set the sat nav to come up with a warning on fuel but you have to set miles between fill ups and consumption zzzzzzzzz

Lose interest at that point, got a readout on clocks to let me know when I'm likely to have to walk home.

Ged

11. Keith R

Keith R Member

The only thing with the IV is that as it is based n the Zumo 660, it is now effectively 9 years old. I had one before getting a free V when I bought my RS in March. I found the IV very slow to recalculate and redraw the maps. The functionality of the V is so much better.

12. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

If you pop the speedo up on the IV it mimics the same range remaining figures etc as the trip computer.

duccrazydave likes this.
  13. mzpog

mzpog Member

Are you sure you have a Nav IV and not a Nav V as I didn't notice any communication of range data from the bike when using the IV.