No customization options are available.

Why I will never buy another motorcycle boot again!!!

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by Vtbob, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I know this statement is heresy.

But after buying to many motorcycle boots over the last 50 years I'm tired of the overly stiff, heavy and outrageously expensive crap I've wasted money on. Every motorcycle boot I''ve bought has leaked eventually, some in the first week. None of them have been comfortable enough to do a day hike in. An every one of them have been big $$!

This has been a long frustration of mine. I like to walk..in comfort. For my motorcycle trip to Alaska I bought some mid height hiking boots. They felt great! Did a lot of walking in them before and on the trip. While they did not leak, the comfy soft, top ankle liner wicked water like a pump.
    And my rain pants...delivered lots of water to that exact spot. My feet were wet every day it rained on the trip. One of my buddies felt compassion and bought me goulashes while in Fairbanks. Ha Ha!!

There are alternatives. I looked at Cop boots. All day comfort, and claimed to be dry.
    While their looks are not sexy...no metal tips, fancy buckles, zoomie graphics, pointy toes or high tapered heals....just plain old boot! No CE stickers...not sure what they mean in any case!!

I've had them nearly two season now. They work great! Doing a day hike is great. They are dry too. This spring we got caught in heavy all day rains heading to Arkansas. Rain hard enough to slow interstate speed to 30...and hid under an over pass. Feet were still dry.....no so much my neck and shirt...but you can not always have everything.

I bought Danner Lookout side zip boots. They are still going strong, still dry, don't weight a lot and are nice ad flexible. I have sprayed them 3 times now. I highly recommend them.

I suspect there are other "Cop boot" suppliers that are just as good...but these work for me.

Just wanted to share this find....

Leon.P. and ray2 like this.
  2. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Willy likes this.
  3. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Peter Burridge likes this.
  4. Peter Burridge

I use Daytona Pro boots myself. Amazing and very comfortable. Altberg Hoggs are in my sights.

5. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Yep, I looked into these and contacted them. They were happy to sell me a pair, at about 300 euro or was it pounds, There were no dealers in the US i could find and I did not want to spend that much money with out trying them on. Not saying there are not good but they are expensive!
    I did try on Daytona....too heavy and too many $$$. Again not saying they are not good but way to expensive.

The Danners cost me less than $150. I can't see how the Altberg's or Daytona's could be more comfortable.

6. Fisher

Fisher New Member

I have just bought daytona boots - but I have ridden with hiking boots in the past for the same reasons. The only down side is that eventually the gear changer wears through as there's no protection for them.

7. Peter Burridge

Probably correct but they may offer more protection. Protection comes before walking and cheap in my book but not exclusively.

ray2 likes this.
  8. nigelj

nigelj New Member

Just bought a new pair of Altbergs to replace my 20 year old ones. They had one refurb at the factory in that time and covered 250,000 miles doing year round commuting into London in all weathers with no leaks and good comfort. I hope the new ones, which are fabulous, see me out!

9. daesimps

daesimps Member

Bought my Daytona boots in 2007. Somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 miles on them (all year round). Still waterproof and comfy as slippers. Can walk all day on them if required. I paid £240 for them, or £24 per year so far.

I can't see myself buying a different brand when they die. I'll probably just take advantage of the Daytona refurbishing fixed price service.

10. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I had Akita Viper boots but then they were changed, discontinued just couldn't replace them, described as town boots?
    Aldi (german cheap) supermarket boots £30 but seemed an exact copy, even down the tread pattern. Have two pairs now as first set the Velcro is now not as good as it was after 6 years.
    Only thing I do before wearing them is cover them in leather dubbin and let it soak in for a few days. They have been waterproof and ok to walk in but agree some heavy duty bike boots are just too strong and inflexible for me. Would probably wish I was wearing them if an impact test occurs with car or tarmac but hope I never find out.

Leon.P. likes this.
  11. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I just bought a pair of Chinese-made waterproof Motocentric-brand motorcycle boots. Like all Chinese-made boots, I don't know what type of material they are made of and they fit me perfectly - being two sizes larger than I normally wear. (The Chinese really know how to cut corners when you are not looking. :rolleyes: ) The boots are pretty comfortable for walking around and I tried them out for 2 miles around the neighborhood to break them in. I paid $50 for the boots from Motorcycle Superstore on a clearance sale. :) Of course, I didn't need any more boots, but they were too cheap not to buy. ;)

Vtbob likes this.
  12. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Yep...but other than a subjective observation of the boot being heavy or stiff...actually does it provide much protection or not so much protection? Are the Altberg or Daytons CE certified? I have no idea what the CE criteria or test is. Maybe the Danners would pass if they paid the $$$ to get the certification done. Does any one know on this list know?

13. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

So these are similar to the boots I wear now ... paid under US$100

[​IMG]

They were the replacement for other Bilt boots like these, presently on sale for US$40

[​IMG]
    The above ones lasted me at least 2 years and still were good but one of the zipper pulls came off and I decided to upgrade to the ones at the top :). Both are light enough and both are waterproof, and that is without putting any treatment (like dubbin) on it. Oh, I forgot ... because I did not put any treatment on it there were cracks through the leather where it creases at the top of the instep.

Moral of story - boots are disposable and for me I spend accordingly. I want them for ankle protection, waterproof-ness and decent tread grip - all of which these cheap Chinese boots deliver. They are also comfortable to walk in around as well and if I need to walk longer distances I pull out the sneakers.

Never say never VTBob ... give them a try, you might like them. :)

14. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Same here - my current boots are just starting to look a little tatty after 16 years of use. They are these https://www.fc-moto.de/en/Daytona-Rainbow-GORE-TEX-Boot - short length but Goretex and with the metal section in the heel to protect against a crush injury. I had a 25% discount voucher so got a pair for about £150 as a replacement. I can wear these in the office all day or go walking around when touring.

15. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Sixteen years is a long time for any boots / shoes. At that rate it is a very good bargain.

16. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

and they were not new as they were bought from someone on the UKGSer forum! I reckon they have probably been used for around 65,000 miles of riding by me plus a lot of walking. I have also used a different pair of boots in winter that are big enough for heated insoles to be fitted. Of course, these are Daytona as well, bought used from UKGSer.

17. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

Nothing wrong with Danner boots. Handmade, goretex with a variety of insulation thicknesses and solid crush resistant soles (depending on model). Several of the guys I work with wear them and they are a very good boot for police, ems, etc. My concern would be the lack of shift pad reinforcement. "Bates" makes service boots for police, fire, ems, military and a couple years ago came out with a motorcycle version. I've not worn that particular version but the others are comfortable and dry.

18. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I also have a pair of Bates motorcycle touring boots that I bought 30 years ago. They have been resoled once and still look almost new, but you do need a shoehorn to put them on as they have a zipper in the back and it is tough to get your heel into the boots without shoehorning them in.

19. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

I'm in the 6" hiking or work boot camp. As long as it has a leather toe and is flexible, I"m good.

20. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I used to go with a "service boot" from Big 5 Sporting Goods. If you watched the sales, you could get them for around $50. A few years ago, I switched to some Bilt motorcycle boots like those above. The cost wasn't much more, but I was getting a design that was more waterproof. (The tongue area on any hiking or service boot often has a slit on each side that will let water in.) The comfort wasn't as good, but was good enough to wear all day at work. I also liked the idea of having the shin and ankle protection.

I went to some far more expensive Gore-Tex boots, the TCX Airtech EVO Gore-Tex Boots. At $259 for Gore-Tex, I expected a really good boot. I didn't feel I got it. I ended up returning them twice. They were uncomfortable. The size ordered was the same with both boots, but they were like two sizes different when I wore them. One too small. The other too big. And they leaked.

I went back to Cycle Gear and bought the Sedici Ultimo boots. They were extremely comfortable and didn't cost a fortune. Unfortunately, they leaked. But I have to say that when they leaked, it was in torrential downpour conditions after being exposed for hours to the rain spray coming off the front tire. I recommend these if you're looking for a good boot. Plus, with Cycle Gear, you can return things with no questions asked.

I'm using Tourmaster Epic boots now. Again, all day comfortable. I don't find they breathe as well as the Sedici boots, but they are okay. In the little bit of rain I've hit, they seem waterproof. And they are CE rated for protection. I like them enough that I will probably buy the "Air" version next summer that breathes well and is still water-proof.

Chris