No customization options are available.

Why do we have this topic??

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Jim Evans, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

RS versus the competition? There is no competition!

pasko, duccrazydave, Bravo and 5 others like this.
  2. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

Ha Ha, hear hear!
    Though some will might disagree.... (I remember a topic about someone swapping his RS for a Ducati?)

Leon.P. likes this.
  3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Seriously, though. I agree that there is no present competition for the RS, and that is me being objective. The Yamaha FJR1300 comes closest. No other bike has similar engine size, power & torque, all-day long distance touring capability, electronics bundle, great handling, and shaft drive all at the same time.

Daniel, Jim Evans, Leon.P. and 2 others like this.
  4. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

True - I read a review of 3 sports tourers in RIDE Dec'17: Kawa z1000SX, Yam MT10 "tourer" and BMW S1000XR. No suprise that the XR was judged the best and most comprehensive all rounder of these 3 so called sport tourers, their complaint with it was steady speed engine vibration. My reflection is that the RS would have performed as a better comparison to the Yam and Kawa with ergonomics more in-line with a sports tourer and they would have found a much less viby engine AND shaft drive !

Jim Evans, Leon.P. and Grumpy Goat like this.
  5. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Member

*cough* GTR1400/Concours*cough* The FJR is a dinosaur in comparison. The GTR isn't exactly bristling with electronics, but at least it has traction control. Heck, the FJR only got a 6th gear in the 2016 model!!

I can speak from experience, the GTR has all-day long touring capability, great handling (for such a huge bike) and shaft drive :)

Oh, and although it's badged a 1400, the GTR is really only 1352cc. The power of marketing!

Cheers

Paul B.

PS: I still prefer the RS over the GTR. No one needs to "tour" at 180mph ;)

6. Al D

Al D Active Member

I agree, the FJR is long in the tooth, I have ridden both and the GTR (Concours) is far superior but as with all things it's down to taste, so if GG likes The FJR so what.

7. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

speak to professional riders (police, paramedic, blood runners) and they will report that they like the FJR over other bikes offered since the demise of the ST1100 Pan European. The GTR may be fine for touring but when you want to use the sporty character of a sports tourer with blues on then the FJR runs rings around it so I am told - why else would Kawasaki also market the ZZR?
    A friend used to tour 2 up on a ZZR but has now converted to a FJR as he and his wife want a bit more comfort, now they are in their 70s, but they did not want to lose the sporty nature of the ZZR.

8. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Member

Chill, fella. I wasn't criticising GG's taste. He likes what he likes.
    I was merely pointing out that the FJR shouldn't be considered the "de facto" Japanese shaft-drive sports-tourer anymore.
    When I was after a tourer, I immediately looked at the FJR. Even test rode one. But then I test rode a GTR, and never looked back.

Cheers

Paul B.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  9. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

still don't understand why BMW stopped the k1300gt which was a closer bike to gtr (had one, liked it) FJR rode one and the k1300gt was easily the best. TheRS for me is a different beast to the FJR and GTR, and K1300GT which I would lump together

Jim Evans, runnerhiker and PaulB_UK like this.
  10. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Member

You've been told wrong. The FJR is more comfortable to spend all day on, lighter for slow maneuvering, hence preferred by professional riders. The GTR is faster by a country mile.

And why do they market the ZZR? Because it's a 200bhp monster, and was the fastest production bike during 2006-2007. I seriously doubt the FJR has any of that "sporty nature".

Paul B.

11. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Lighter and more maneuverable in a pursuit is also an advantage - it's not top speed they want. The GTR would be an unwieldy barge trying to be first responder over 20 miles of mixed roads, weaving through traffic with panniers stuffed with life saving equipment.

The GTR is a superb, inter-continental missile. The FJR is more fun when the terrain is challenging but can also cross continents at high speed.

12. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Member

Valid points, well made sir :)

Cheers

Paul B.

Jim Evans likes this.
  13. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I actually don't particularly like the FJR. Looks fat and is heavy. :)

I did overlook the Kawasaki ... that too is fat and heavy (for my tastes) but at least is fast. The point is, there are not many bikes in the same category as the RS, and where it beats both of these bikes is in weight, centre of gravity and I am sure fuel economy. As for speed ... who rides at top speed anyway? As long as she does 80 all day and can get up to 100+ if I need to pass something quickly, then I am happy. :)

Daniel, Nomad5326, Al D and 3 others like this.
  14. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

To the OP: there are so many great bikes now, I want half of them! I think it's great to talk about them.

To the FJR vs C14 discussion: I put over 30K miles on an '08 FJR, great bike. I have owned two ZX-14, not the same as the C14 but basically the same engine, THE best engine of any bike I have ever owned. But, alas, the C14 does not have cruise control, that's a deal breaker for me, every October I anxiously look at the Kawi website to see if the new C14 has cruise control. One of these days, they are going to do it and I am going to get one. Because of that, today, I would pick the FJR over the C14. Like I said above, so many great bikes today!

darrell and PaulB_UK like this.
  15. Al D

Al D Active Member

I am chilled bud, That's why I'm not to keen on online conversations, it's to easy for someone to misunderstand the tone of your post. I actually meant each to his own, if we all liked the same thing it would be boring.

16. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Wait til next month. Kawasaki is going to unveil a supercharged sport tourer. Very little in the way of information on it so far but lots of guesses.

runnerhiker likes this.
  17. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Member

Yup, lots of guesses and speculation, including this site:
    http://www.r1200rsforums.com/threads/rs-killer-anyone.4615/

Cheers

Paul B.