No customization options are available.

Why do folks blank out their license plate in pics?

Discussion in 'Readers Rides' started by Brimstone Mahone, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

I have noticed frequently that when some folks post pics of their bikes (not just here but on other bike/car sites), they cover or edit out the license plate number. Why is this seen as a good idea? I have never done it but am willing to learn why I should! :)

darrell likes this.
  2. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

It's so people don't clone the plates for illegal purposes ie speed cameras etc.
    I know a guy who used to put a false plate on his GSXR1100 and purposely goad the police into chasing him;). Nowadays you should only get a number plate made by producing your log book when you purchase but you can get them off eBay for 12 quid....... I've got Boxerboy's ,Oscars and Andy's all made up in my garage should the need arise.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    m1bjr, duccrazydave, DABs and 4 others like this.
  3. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Hard of thinking. It's not like the number plate isn't exposed to the general public when riding or parked up...

fischetg and ray2 like this.
  4. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Ah, yes but the coverage of t'internet is far broader. The problem with cloning a plate near where you live is that there is a great chance of the 'real' person spotting you. Take it from a photo of a vehicle 600 miles away and far less chance of being rumbled.
    (Not advocating this by the way )

Leon.P. and Bravo like this.
  5. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Yes but in any speed camera photo , that gimp suit will be the giveaway ( I cannot unseen that by the way !!!)

Bravo likes this.
  6. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Cheers Bravo, impersonation is the greatest form of flattery!

7. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

This was started by companies who were collecting vehicles that were terminally ill,,write offs ,
    Knowing the vehicle was either in for major repair or dead means it's registration can be cloned to another vehicle same model colour etc, so transport companies used to cover the plates, this became common knowledge and it's been blown up by scaremongers a bit. Never covered mine, not even down s' th and abroad , :)

Ged

Mac J likes this.
  8. Bravo

That's how my mate got his,spot a bike identical colour,note the plate and get it made up
    Got yours too:)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Leon.P. and boxter like this.
  9. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I was told by someone once that if a person knew your license plate in the U.S. they could find the location of your home and steal your vehicle if it was something that they wanted. That sounded like a reasonable reason for blurring your plate, but not one that I am very worried about. Around here BMW motorcycles almost never get stolen. :rolleyes: The criminals who steal vehicles can't afford to maintain them and consider them to be just money pits. ;) The would rather steal a nice cheap, reliable, Japanese-brand motorcycle or scooter. :)

10. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

If they can hack the database to cross reference a number plate to an address, why would they just not do a search via make & model?

The simplest way to to get the model you want is to follow someone home - that way you get to watch them store away the bike. Then case the joint to work out their routine and enter the property at your leisure so you can find the keys. Go back in 2 months to take the replacement bike (in the UK a comprehensive insurance policy gives you a brand new bike if it is under 12 months old). The trick is to buy bikes that are not terribly popular so you are not targeted.

Leon.P. likes this.
  11. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

If people didn't buy stolen bikes, it wouldn't be worth the effort and risk to steal them.
    My guess is the bikes are stolen mainly for parts. Racing or unreliabilty would create more demand.
    Still a lot of HDs are stolen.
    It may well be that there is no universal rule and people steal things for many "reasons". Damn them all to Hell.

duccrazydave and Leon.P. like this.
  12. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it's more like .......... Do you really want your ex-spouse to know that your bike/car is for sale and a much delayed alimony could be in the future??? Or, for those working up to ex-spouse status, do they really want folks to know where they are???

Leon.P. likes this.
  13. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

If you own a modern BMW motorcycle, would you go to the local fence or guy on the street corner who sells parts from under his overcoat for used BMW parts? Not me. ;)

boxter and Leon.P. like this.
  14. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Changing the topic slightly. I did see a sign on the back of a tradesman ute here in Melbourne.It said,
    DON'T PINCH MY TOOLS. I NEED THEM TO PAY YOUR DOLE. I thought that was beautiful and spot on.:)

15. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

This gives me a picture in mind, similar to Jean Reno in Leon. As he went out with big overcoat.

Ged

16. Bravo

Was he a flasher?

Leon.P. likes this.
  17. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

18. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Vroom, fantastic licence plate .......... and an enviable garage set-up!

MrVvrroomm likes this.
  19. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I blank out my license plates (as and where I can ... harder on videos) on media displayed on the Internet to reduce the risk of criminals using my number for their nefarious reasons. Clearly one cannot blank out these numbers from people who are local to the car so the risk cannot be totally eliminated. So there is always some risk, just as there are always dregs of society who rather than finding gainful and honest employment would rather rip people off.

Leon.P. and darrell like this.
  20. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

I've seen dealerships with fewer bikes and less clothing.......

runnerhiker, Vtbob, Leon.P. and 3 others like this.