No customization options are available.

When did you replace brake pads? If at all.

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by SauRoN, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I am not hard on brakes but happy to used them when needed. At 22000 Klms I had my rear Rotors and Pads replaced under warranty as they were warped . Hope that's not a pattern.:(o_O

2. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking on my way home last night that maybe the Quickshifter is helping the decreased pad wear even further along because I certainly engine brake more with this bike and stay off the brakes completely in many cases over previous ones.

Previous bikes I would generally only engine brake after already applying the brakes and in the motion of slowing down. Because of the Shift Assist though I often find myself just banging down the box and braking at the very end instead.

ray2 and James Bagley like this.
  3. Number9Cloud

Number9Cloud New Member

I do almost all my riding in heavy traffic with lots of braking. With my previous Hondas, I was going through rear pads every 4,000 miles and the front ones every 8,000 miles. I hope the RS pads are no worse :rolleyes:

4. boxter

boxter Active Member

Hard pads = high disc wear, few pads usually short life discs.

Soft pads = low disc wear, more pads but long life discs.

It's a trade off,. ( Usually )

Ged

James Bagley likes this.
  5. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Today I installed my 7th set of tires on the RS at 45,300 miles and the brake pads were all fine. Both mechanic and I felt they will last through 2 more tire changes.

MrVvrroomm and petey like this.
  6. petey

petey Member

Impressive milage Darrell, I'm less than 2K miles behind you, I however used a couple more rears than you. Lets see who gets to 50K first....I love this bike.

7. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Thanks for the note. It is an enjoyable bike to ride. I can let you know when I reach 50K but I'm not a person who just rides to accumulate miles. I try to enjoy the journey by stopping to see things and educate myself along the way. Also the 3 BMW GS bikes in the garage like to get out when I'm home from a trip and rotate their wheels a bit. We are probably about 6 weeks away from salt being tossed on the roads and then they all go in to hibernation for 5 months or a bit longer. And then I get to start planning for some rides in 2018.

terry847 and Olgry1 like this.