No customization options are available.

When did you replace brake pads? If at all.

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by SauRoN, Sep 11, 2017.

1. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Took a look at the bike this morning before setting off and at 18,000km figured I'm in for a lot of money on the 20,000km service due to needing service as well as new tyres and probably front brake pads.

To my shocking surprise there is so much groove left on those front pads it's not even a question of being anywhere near replacement.

Didn't check the rears as they weren't simple to get to but will do so later but don't expect it to be much different.

On both my Buell and Triumph I had replaced front pads by the first tyre change or very near it.

Is this normal? Here I was worried about expensive Brembo pads, but if they last this long they are probably cheaper in the longer term than alternatives.

Richard230 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  2. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I have not replaced (or even checked) mine yet. I suspect they must be in good order since they were fine at the last service 1500 miles ago. Must have a look next time I remember.

3. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

What mileage are you at now?

4. Grumpy Goat

Just over 21k miles.

SauRoN likes this.
  5. petey

petey Member

44000 miles and no worry about replacement yet, but fork seals is another story, had to replace both. The left at 18000 m the right just the other day.

ray2 and SauRoN like this.
  6. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Keep an eye on the rear pads. It has been my BMW motorcycle experience that the rear pads wear out at least twice as quickly as the front pads. Also, the inside front pads (closest to the wheel) seem to wear more quickly than the outside pads. :confused: So be sure to check both pads on each caliper.

Aussie Import and To and Fro like this.
  7. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Yeah I definitely will. It just wasn't as simple to check in the moment while I was on my way.

Did check both inside and outside on the front and loads of groove left on both, but will take a deeper look over time.

8. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Wowzer that is crazy.

I mean looking at my mileage now I would be very happy if they did 40,000 km never mind 44,000 miles.

9. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

At 28,000 miles, my '16 had over half remaining on the fronts and a little less on the rear.

Frank

Leon.P. likes this.
  10. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Must be a R1200 thing, my ST had 35,000 miles and probably do 50k at least on original pads (worn out the soles on 4 pairs of boots in same time!) Most of the time engine braking must be assisting more than multi-cylinder machines.

James Bagley likes this.
  11. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

Coming down the box the engine braking is great and must help with brake pad wear. In general riding I find I don't use the brakes very much at all unless I'm pushing on fast and braking before bends !!

12. James Bagley

James Bagley Active Member

I have so much fun down-shifting with the Shift-Assist that my brake pads will probably last longer than the brake fluid...

Leon.P. likes this.
  13. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

When I apply the front brakes and the discs resemble Catherine Wheels:D

Aussie Import likes this.
  14. Grumpy Goat

I do use engine braking a lot with this bike - one of the features that made me like it so much, and one of the reasons why a manual gearbox is better than an automatic. The QS on this bike just makes the engine braking the more easier to achieve.

Leon.P. and Jasper like this.
  15. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I've just had my 12,000 miles service and the pads are fine. I'm not the last of the late brakers anyway and with the colossal engine braking.....

On my 2nd set of tyres too so as you say, expensive although the Roadtecs lasted longer than the PR4's. I changed the oil in my new final drive today. That's at 600 miles and I do it every 6,000 too.

Next job new front tyre.

16. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Being a forward planning type of person, I bought a set of gold plated brake pads $$$$$$$$$ from my dealer some time ago.

A few days ago I took a good look at the front pads while the wheel was out.
    Guess what? Loads of life left at nearly 13,000 miles.

I know I'm not the hardest braker in town, but I am happy with the pad life so far.
    IMG_7464.JPG

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Leon.P., Richard230 and Jasper like this.
  17. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Did someone mention new tyre?

Onto my 3rd set after a rear puncture brought that one to an early finish. I thought it prudent to replace the front to match with a ferry to Germany planned for next Monday.
    Approx 6,500 miles per set so far. I knew this would become an annual event.
    IMG_7463.JPG

Peter Burridge likes this.
  18. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

the linked brakes will even out pad wear so make sure you check the rears as well!

Jasper likes this.
  19. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member Contributor

That has been our experience with the BMW we have owned with partially integral brakes.

20. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

My rears are down to the point that I bought replacement pads. I will probably replace them in a couple of weeks. They are still serviceable. They seemed to wear quickly and now they have stabilised.