No customization options are available.

What type of Jacket are you using for Riding the RS ???

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by BrainStorm, Aug 27, 2015.

1. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

Ross,

I am sure that your transition from Belstaff waxed to Wolf-Tec will be revelatory! I hope that you enjoy the transition. You will certainly be better warmed, water-proofed and protected I would think.

It did not seem to matter how much I waxed my Belstaff jacket, it was never more than shower proof at best!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

2. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

What do you mean? Unless I'm on the track, or just riding around town, I'm in a BMW Rallye Suit - winter or summer.... Of course, if you are concerned with a fashion statement....

3. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Take a look at the TCX natural foot shape (NFS) line. I have a pair of short waterproof boots I use around town that have been supportive enough for miles of walking - usually to and from the local dealership, about 5 miles away.

4. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

I ride all the year round (no longer on ice though, the sphincter control is not what it once was) and have just retired my 10 year old Textile Heine Gericke suit. There is nothing wrong with it although the last time I wore it in a downpour, I got a slightly damp crutch. It has proved comfortable and warm with layers underneath. The reason I have retired it is that when doing some comparisons over the last few weeks, it became obvious that both armour and textile shells have come on a bit in the last few years and the old suit really feels a bit flimsy by comparison.

So, I splashed out nearly £1,000 :eek: for a Rev'it Poseidon two piece textile suit. I have worn it only once, for about two hours and that was in the dry but it is demonstrably a much more substantial piece of kit in the protection department. I have little doubt that it will be waterproof as well as it has a Gortex, integrated lining. I will see how it goes but so far, I am impressed with both its robust feel and the clever design features. I do have a slight concern about the chest ventilation system though as, when the two flaps are opened, it does look remarkably like one of those tops designed for ladies when they are breast feeding! I am probably being too sensitive and really don't care that much anyway! :D

Interestingly, although the cuffs appear at first sight to be too narrow to get a winter glove tucked inside, it manages this quite well. I have rejected jackets from many other manufacturers because of this all too common and obvious fault. I have also been told repeatedly by dealers that it is OK to run the glove outside the cuffs and there is not a problem. I usually walk away then as they have obviously never ridden a bike in the rain and don't know what they are talking about!

I thought it might be of interest to pick this posting of mine up from June this year with an update.

I have now worn the Rev'it suit for nearly six months and so have some observations on it.

Firstly, the good things:
    It is totally waterproof, secure feeling with armour that fits in the right place. It is well made and will I am sure last for a long time. It is comfortable for day long riding, warm and windproof. The jacket zips and closures are of good quality and work well (but see below). Overall, a very good suit as it should be for the price.

The criticisms:
    The zip that attaches the trousers to the jacket is very difficult to get at and do up. It is possible but a constant annoyance. The reason is that it starts just behind the hip, so that you have to contort yourself to reach around and start it. Why on earth was it not brought further forward so that it was easily reachable? Very frustrating and perplexing.

There is no hip armour in the trousers. I think that there should be. There is a tiny pocket in the lining that I presume is for retro-fitting armour here and I will cut up some armour that I have in stock to fit but I think it will be too small to be effective.

I remain unconvinced by the ventilation system. It seems very complex and does not seem to make that much difference. On the other hand, its performance could well remain un-noticed by me as I live in England where we don't have that much hot weather. It could be much more important in Texas or somewhere!

The cuffs. These are a constant pain on every textile jacket I have ever owned. These are better than most but still not designed properly. Yes, it is possible to get a winter gauntlet under the cuff so that in rain, your glove does not fill up with water but only just. It sometimes takes several minutes, accompanied by much swearing, to get the cuff over the glove. A constant PIA and again, I wonder why it could not just be designed better so that it was an easy process.

The last thing is a minor gripe but is also frustrating. The jacket side pockets are very narrow. This may be a deliberate ploy to dissuade wearers from stuffing the pockets with loads of hard things that then becomes a safety hazard if you come off the bike. The consequence though, is that even a moderately fat wallet is a struggle to fit in and get out.

That's about it. Would I buy the same again? Probably but with this experience might investigate other makes to see if the issues that frustrate me have been better dealt with by another manufacturer.

:)

5. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Feel for ya brother. If I lived walking distance to a BMW store , I would probably be in debtors prison by now.

oldbikemart and ray2 like this.
  6. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I have a closet full of jackets and admit to having a gear problem. I like leather and for long distance touring go with the Klim every time simply because of the Latitude version versatility. From cold to warm to hot and wet or dry the latitude Klim jacket and pants adapts well as any one outfit can and will not let you down in the wet. Aside from Klim and for lessor touring I love all my various leather jackets and they made for a time the jacket which matches the RS blue color way and Aria XD 4 Helmet perfectly. Sadly the new GS is not yet the blue color way and I am undecided if I will change the two panels necessary to use the same blue as the RS . BEing a slave to fashion is not for the weak of heart or wallet

Vtbob and runnerhiker like this.
  7. Soch

Soch Member

I have two Aerostich Roadcrafters (classic and R3) that I use daily for commuting. The classic is about 10 years old and still going strong, and the R3 about 3 years. For a one piece, easy on/easy off over clothing, that provides excellent all around protection, the roadcrafter is it! As for gloves, I also use their elkskin insulated ropers in the winter, and non-insulated in summer.
    The only downside to the classic is the liner, and on hot, hot summer days here in the tri-valley where temps can get well above 100 for a few days out of the year, it can get quite toasty riding in city traffic -- luckily I don't have to do that too often :). Anyway, I'm thinking of buying the R3 lite roadcrafter and giving that a try for hot summer commutes.

darrell and ray2 like this.
  8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Getting the grey Olympia Expedition jacket for Christmas. Finally retiring the Rev'It Tornado jacket since it never fully recovered (colourwise) from the oil soaking that it got in my accident last year.

olympia_expedition_jacket.jpg

ray2 and darrell like this.
  9. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the amount of Hi-Viz material has been dropping on newer versions of textile jackets?

Jim Evans and Grumpy Goat like this.
  10. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Now that you mentioned it, yes I have seen that too. I was recently in the market and there were very few jackets with high viz colour options. I guess that would be disappointing if one were looking for that option.

11. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I always wear hi-viz for my daily commute, but I'd never buy a jacket with predominantly hi-viz material, simply because it is impossible to keep clean. I'd far rather buy a black or grey jacket, and then a cheap full-sleeve hi-viz jacket over the top.
    The ones I get are only about £15, so I replace them several times a year, and the added benefit is that they keep my regular jacket (BMW Streetguard) looking like new.

Perhaps there are others like me...

12. damianadv

damianadv Member

It is true, I notice it too
    I've never been a big fan of HV
    I don't want the look of the garments, even on the expensive gear (Rukka/Held/Revit)
    Anyways a good piece of gear always come with enough reflective material on them

13. Mark

Mark Member

BMW street guard I find it versatile

14. Soch

Soch Member

Both of my roadcrafters have hi-viz in the ballistic areas, knee, elbow, shoulders -- ordered them that way. Yeah, the hi-viz is definitely more difficult to keep clean.

15. Mr. 36654

Better safe than sorry, in my opinion. Besides, my wife is happier when I leave the house looking like a school crossing guard.

ray2, Jim Evans and Soch like this.
  16. Mr. 36654

There were some excellent close-out prices on the 3/4 length model (Ranger?) this fall.

17. damianadv

damianadv Member

They still are on sale at Revzilla
    Unfortunately I find them to warm for FL
    They are nice jackets

18. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

Look what I got for Xmas... My own BMW R1200RS t-shirt!! 20171226_173642.jpg

Attached Files:

19. mark g

mark g New Member

Wear a two piece Dainese suit, laminated waterproof lining and zip out warm liner, great for touring but a nit hot and sticky in summer in the south of France for example, so I use a mesh jacket with armour. My boots are Furygan high top trainer style, again waterproof-none of my gear has let me down in the 2yrs since I bought them. Gloves-never found a truly waterproof pair, Rukka Apollo= pants, leaked like all the others after one season, may as well stick to cheaper pairs and change them more often.

20. SD-Biker

SD-Biker Member

winter or cool temps BWW Atlantis 4 jacket (SoCal, so winter is maybe 50-52 Fahrenheit in the morning, no complaints) .
    Warm to hot, Rukka 4Air.