No customization options are available.

What I did this afternoon...

Discussion in 'USA Southeast Riders' started by WilliamJ, Jul 29, 2016.

1. WilliamJ

WilliamJ Active Member

Posted this on the MOA site, but my endorphins are still positive...

I've got a 100 mile loop from my place in Charlottesville, VA, that takes me up through the twisties onto the Skyline drive, then back home through different twisties.
    About 1pm today, i pretty much had an assfull of daily life and took off on my "rehab route". What was different about today? As usual, it twisted through the VA hills and offered a magnificent view of ranches, farms and incredible scenery. At about mile 85 on the Skyline Drive, a very large bear decided to cross the road about 100 yds in front of me. I was doing about 40, and with no traffic around, I easily stopped and waited to see how this would work itself out. Options were a quick u-turn (if the bear was pissed, he would have gotten to me before said turn was executed), if I waited until he passed then accelerated past his position (option I selected), or what?. Interesting scenario as both bear and I were just minding our own business and dealing with whatever issues we had to deal with. The bear was a magnificent animal, probably about 6+ feet if it stood upright.
    After the bear, I got my ass kicked by a thunderstorm that I thought I had planned around. About an hour later, I met my wife at a farmer's market in Standardsville, Va and bought a couple of tomatoes and 2 ears of corn that we'll cook up with some chicken tonight along with a bottle of VA wine.
    Point being that sometimes I can get all twisted up in the bull**** of life, then have an afternoon like this.
    Life is good.

ray2, Lee, woolf and 4 others like this.
  2. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Nice 1 William:)

3. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

I'll be on Skyline Drive Sunday, traveling from the beginning in Front Royal to the end. I hope the bears take sundays off and sleep all day!

4. WilliamJ

WilliamJ Active Member

On my "loop", I enter Skyline at the Swift Run Gap Entrance (about mm 65) and head south to the end near Waynesboro, then shoot back NNE toCharlottesville.
    The road is in great shape, although the speed limit is mostly 35 throughout. I was on it yesterday and it was surprisingly more crowded than my last trip on Saturday. If you're mapping it, the bear appeared around the Dundo Picnic Grounds Area- go figure!
    Hope the weather's great- it stays about 15 degrees cooler up there- and the views are awesome!

woolf likes this.
  5. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for our furry friends.

6. mreeter

mreeter Active Member

William, I envy your spot on the map! About a month ago I entered the BRP at Waynesboro and headed South for the about 450 miles. Next time I'm out that way I'm going to head North up the Skyline Drive.

Gorgeous scenery, and NO fricken trucks! Love it!

woolf likes this.
  7. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

SO you untwist in the twisties.... A good lesson.
    Bears and thunderstorms - for most of us - those things are a long way from our work, even if only a short distance from our workplaces. Thanks for reminding us.

8. Widetrack

Widetrack Member Contributor

I totally agree with your "rehab route." I live within a few miles of Swift Run Gap. If I had a tough week at work first thing Saturday morning would be a blast across the mountain and back and I would be chilled out for the rest of the ride. Now retired, I still run the rehab route just in case I might be stressed and don't realize it!!