No customization options are available.

What have you done to your bike today

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Peter Burridge, Jan 28, 2016.

1. DABs

DABs Active Member

Good to hear. What was bending?

Dave

2. Mattblack000

Mattblack000 Member

Bend the upper portion of the DRL housing back gently to get your hand in and baby spanner, undo nut holding factory horn and disconnect wiring plug.
    Bend original mounting bracket up towards you a few degrees and mount soundbomb (with electrical adapter already fitted) from underneath, attach and titghten nut supplied. Spray with WD40 or ACF50 and Bob’s your uncle. Sorry, Didn’t take any photos as I was using all of my 3 hands.

Grumpy Goat, ray2 and DABs like this.
  3. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Had a brand new set of titanium Akrapovic headers fitted to the bike to replace the original headers, as the valve was seizing.
    So I'm probably the only sap out there that has the fancy front end of the exhaust, but with the stock end can fitted. I'd like the matching slip-on as well, but can't justify the cost.

I'm really trying hard to work out whether it has made any difference. It seems like it might sound a tiny bit more throaty, and the torque curve seems like it might be a little smoother and without any flat spots, but that may just be wishful thinking. I took a 'before' dB reading, and will get an 'after' one tomorrow, to see whether it's affected the sound coming from the end can.

At the very least, I now have nice, pristine headers again. The stock ones were looking all brown and horrible, and I was dreading having to try to polish that mess out...

Edit: I should note that this was done as a goodwill gesture by BMW, and my dealership really went to bat for me. The replacement headers were supplied completely free of charge, and I only had to pay labour.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  4. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

A well renowned BMW mechanic told me - after servicing my 1200S which had Akra end cans that I'd sent money on the wrong end and that free flowing downpipes would deliver more performance as thats' where the OE was most restricted . So you may be in luck !

Grumpy Goat and Scorch like this.
  5. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Let's hope so!! :)

6. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Bob Ain't Stoppin' Member

Today I took a ride to fill the tank with highest test gas and put Stabil in there for the winter. Temp was right at freezing. A quick wash before the ride got the bike dry before parking it. Sad day here in the Berkshires :-(

Jim Evans likes this.
  7. Alistair

Alistair New Member

since collecting my bike at the end of July, I have added the following things -
    1 - Wonderlich risers - I found the original bar position a bit too far forward. With the risers it is perfect for long touring days.
    2 - I removed the BMW sat nav mount and bought the Hornig system for my TomTom. It is now in an easy, visible position with does not require you to look away from the road.
    3 - I added a ram mount to the clutch mounting which means I can use my Ion pro etc easily.
    4 - I have a Givi Touring screen which is great in the colder months as it provides good protection.
    5 - Givi Tank mount and bag.
    6 - Givi top box plate, which was originally silver. I had it powder coated to match the rear of the bike.
    7 - TomTom sun visor from Ebay. a quarter of the price of Wonderlich and just as effective!

I still have three must have additions I would like to add before the summer returns in April. A set of Machine Arts Xheads, Mudsling and Avant Guard.

Attached Files:

8. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

When I went in for the 6000 mile service on my 2017, they carried out a big software update. Don’t know the details, but it was in response to some injector faults and other engine sensor faults I think. Not on my bike but on LC engines.
    Since then I have had much better throttle response and the hole in the torque curve between 3 and 4K has reduced, so the power delivery is much more like the 2016 I used to have. (I.e better).

swedkg likes this.
  9. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

i fitted a pair of powerbronze wind deflectors (sit just above the "winglets).

http://www.powerbronze.co.uk/36214288/3902935/---BMW-,R1200RS,-15-17.model

They fit well and look like they will work with std bars (not been out on it yet).

Fitted as handguards are not an option with standard bar/risers as they foul the mirror stems....and I found the exposed bars on the RS to be much "colder/wetter" than my 1150R with handguards.

I'll post an update when I've tried them out.

Jim Evans likes this.
  10. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I gave it a really good clean ready for the Winter:

20171201-_DSF0165.jpg 20171201-_DSF0155.jpg 20171201-_DSF0154.jpg 20171201-_DSF0166.jpg 20171201-_DSF0163.jpg

AZGeek, Grumpy Goat, boxter and 6 others like this.
  11. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

boxerboy, ray2 and Peter Burridge like this.
  12. swedkg

swedkg Active Member

^^ Nor it had all that bling

Jim Evans and Peter Burridge like this.
  13. petedarlo

petedarlo Active Member

Had a little run out (Darlington to Helmsley) today to test my new keis jacket

Attached Files:

14. Ilan Balaban

Ilan Balaban Member

Just took it for a spin.
    Taking the "wrong" road to work always seems better :)

road.jpg

Scorch, GordonH, Bravo and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tony101

Tony101 Active Member

Fitted a PCV to make the most of my full Remus system. Also fitted a pair of pattern K1300 pillion rests, they look better alongside the HP rider rests than the big rubber jobs. At £7.99 a pair from M&P inc P&P, they seem well made and look the part.

DSC_0247.JPG DSC_0248-001.JPG DSC_0247.JPG DSC_0248-001.JPG

Attached Files:

Peter Burridge and Jetpilot5 like this.
  16. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

I installed a battery tender connector --- one of the first things I do with a new bike because I know I am going to be powering the bike a lot without having the engine running while I add / replace electronic gizmos.
    I don't like seeing wires hanging out so I tried to keep everything tucked up and out of the way.

I've been using NOCO Genius G3500 on my bikes for a few years now. No CANBUS issues and have yet to have a battery die on me prematurely. That's always a concern with the high temperatures where I live.

R1200RS NOCO_4735.jpg R1200RS NOCO_4737.jpg R1200RS NOCO_4744.jpg

Peter Burridge likes this.
  17. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

I swapped out the turn signal and parking lamps with LED lamps. I use Dynamic Motorrad lamps for the turn signals. Very bright and no CANBUS errors. They are a bit on the expensive side, but owning a few BMW bikes has re-set by threshold for what expensive means. ;)

A short video of a comparison between the OEM and Dynamic Motorrad lamps:

I also swapped out the lamps for the parking lights, wanting to change the feeble the incandescent glow from the OEM lamps to something more fitting of a bike built in the 21st century: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/1129/2683/

I've had these on three different BMW bike models with no CANBUS error issues. The lamps are quite a bit longer than the OEM bulb and do stick out quite far. Some may not like that look.

UPDATE ==> I don't recommend these LED lamps on the RS because it appears that they can't handle the heat from the headlight bulbs. I came back from a ride today and found the low beam side had "deconstructed" itself. Looks like the solder joints softened from the heat from the headlight lamp. My other bikes (GF800GT and RNineT) with these have the parking light much further away from the headlight lamp. So perhaps that's the reason why I never had a problem with those installations.

R1200RS parking_4740.jpg R1200RS Parking_4742.jpg

But my simple install did no go without a hitch. The retainer clip for the parking light on the high beam side snapped off when I went to depress it. I don't know who BMW has for the engineers that design their headlight assemblies, but I do know that they should all be fired. This is yet again another example of some really poor engineering. A brittle plastic lever. Wonderful. Almost as bad as the flimsy wire bulb retainers on the F800 series that will break upon first glance.

I was extra gentle on the low beam side and that one didn't snap off. It did take me a while to fish the broken lever out of the headlight assembly.

So this will be my first warranty repair (not even 24hrs after picking up the bike).
    R1200RS Parking_4739.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  18. LQB1

LQB1 New Member

Love the Dynamic Motorrad turn signal LEDs! What a difference.

19. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

Did the first break-in ride of 166 miles. I am following the user manual recommendations to shift a lot and keep the revs below 5K for the first 1000km. I noticed that 4th, 5th, and 6th felt like better engine breaking when quickly backing off the throttle, compared to the first 3 gears. Perhaps just a rev thing. I did try out the shift assist and it worked flawlessly, up and down. Of course shifting early to keep the revs under 5K wasn't all that exciting, but I was impressed with the smoothness of the transitions and how quickly this bike picks up speed.

When I got home was pleased to see that the MaMo Avant Guard, MudSling, and Light Bars had arrived. So I now have the Avant Guard and MudSling installed. The light bars will wait until after I get the engine guards mounted. All in all, a great day.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Grumpy Goat, Lee and Peter Burridge like this.
  20. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

Started my annual service and found the cam timing a wee bit off that I corrected with the help of some BMW specified tools.

Cam alignment and chain tension tools.
    [​IMG]

Tool for finding TDC.
    [​IMG]

Cam chain tool in position.
    [​IMG]

Left side cams at TDC.
    [​IMG]

Cam alignment tool in place - cams slightly out of alignment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cam trigger sensor removed.
    [​IMG]

Crows foot to loosen the cam gear retaining nuts.
    [​IMG]

Adjusted and aligned.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tighten cam gear nuts and install cam sensor trigger and align.
    [​IMG]

Remove chain tension tool and install cam tensioner with new washer.
    [​IMG]

Check the valves (all in spec), button up the bike and move to the next task.
    [​IMG]

swedkg, Jetpilot5, Scorch and 10 others like this.