No customization options are available.

What have you done to your bike today

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Peter Burridge, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Please do take the pictures showing the closest gaps between the XHead covers and the SW Motech crash bars. When I was fitting mine I held the bar up to the head with the covers on an there was interference, especially on the left side IIRC.

2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

GG, I know that some things are just not to be, but other may be possible. If I was faced with the problem of the fit, I would be sorely tempted to shim out the mounts - washers or similar, to get the little bit of clearance. Perhaps I would even look at the big rubber mallet sitting in my workshop to "tune" the tubes.

oscarguitar likes this.
  3. Dejocko

Dejocko Member

Left side - I didn't even look until I went to take the picture but it definitely is touching.

I tried fitting a credit card through the gap to see how much pressure is being exerted from the fitment of the crash bars to the x heads. I can fit one in fairly easily from both sides up until the center inch or so when it becomes exceedingly difficult but doable albeit barely.

Should I remove them out of fear of the pressure exerted on the engine block while riding/static and not crashed or do you think it's safe to keep them there?

[​IMG]

Right side, non issue.

[​IMG]

In my now mildly inhebriated state I have come to the conclusion that the designers had boobs on their mind when the designed one to be slightly larger than the other.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Grumpy Goat and Lee like this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Thanks for the pictures. That was the anticipated problem with my bike so I uninstalled the X-head covers. If there is a hard contact then that could put undue pressure on the valve cover bolts due to thermal expansion. I would remove them if I were you.

5. Grumpy Goat

I installed the Denali SoundBomb split dual tone air horn. :D

6. Dejocko

Dejocko Member

I really don't see how the valve cover bolts would be put under any measurable undue pressure the single pressure point and valve cover bolt locations don't have any clear path to transfer that pressure. Any pressure being exerted is likely just being lost and dispersed in the soft and squishy material of the x-head cover and some directly on to the wall of the thicker engine cylinder head thing? Idk the technical terms.

I'll be running by the dealership after work to get their opinion, I do wish they had informed me of this at the time but cest la vie.

7. DABs

DABs Active Member

Looking forward to your video. Though I suspect as I have the DRL in the nose it won't offer a good placing solution for me.

Dave

8. Grumpy Goat

Thanks Dave.

ray2 likes this.
  9. DABs

DABs Active Member

Thank YOU, GG.

I was going to fit the compressor just above yours, but more tucked up behind the radiator. Or try to squeeze it in the other side, to give more room here for the horn, if there is no room near the existing horn with the DRL there.

Is there any video that guides you through removing all the plastic?

Dave

10. Grumpy Goat

You know I have never seen such a video. Maybe next time I take mine off I will do a video. Or maybe someone else will do the honours. :)

11. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Had my 6000 mile service. Clutch bite point adjusted, sticky throttle sorted (TBA) brake fluid change. Tyre advisory, but I knew that anyway

Also I had this to play with for a day. Did about 75 miles. Love the golden pipes. I suspect they are stainless not the silly chrome ones on the top spec RS.
    DA7C6C6A-6077-4EC7-B5D0-B23989028538.jpeg
    It rained all day so no posing about. But nice bike. Biggest difference (apart from the RS being so (too) civilised, was that on the RS its the bike that gets filthy, on the scrambler it was me. The back of my jacket is covered in road dirt!

AZGeek, ray2 and Bravo like this.
  12. oscarguitar

Interestingly there was a big software update done. To do with various engine faults and sensors, including the throttle. I didn’t have any stored codes, but there have been throttle, and injector faults reported, which this update solves. Apparently.

13. Grumpy Goat

Interesting .... Makes a case for me to bring it to the dealership for the 24k service.

14. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Member

OK,

Here are pictures of the bags on the bike since I painted them.
    First a reminder, this is before.
    [​IMG]

And here is after

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

terry847, HoGee, Phillo and 5 others like this.
  15. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Looks good Karl. Do you plan to paint the center tank cover?

16. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Member

No.

But I do plan on painting the wheels.

17. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

The R9T Scrambler is one of my two BMWs -- and the reason I am looking to trade in my F800GT for the R1200RS. The R9T is a total blast to ride. I have Ohlins suspension all around, so performance in the twisties is extra impressive. Not a bad bike for a loaner.

18. oscarguitar

I also had a F800GT as a loaner a couple of years back. I couldn’t find anything good to say about it after 60 miles, so maybe it’s just takes a bit longer to appreciate its ‘qualities’. You will find the WC engine and the chassis of the RS a revalation in comparison.

19. oscarguitar

I also had a F800GT as a loaner a couple of years back. I couldn’t find anything good to say about it after 60 miles, so maybe it’s just takes a bit longer to appreciate its ‘qualities’. You will find the WC engine and the chassis of the RS a revalation in comparison.

20. HoGee

HoGee New Member

That is really nice. First time I actually like the side bags sitting on a RS. It makes much more sense this way.