No customization options are available.

Water Repellent for Visor

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Barbelson, Apr 14, 2018 at 7:49 PM.

1. Barbelson

Barbelson Well-Known Member

The other day I was out riding on a particularly filthy damp day. My visor quickly got covered in muck, and I resorted to using my glove to clear it every now and again. It got me wondering whether there were any products out there to help keep it clean whilst riding.
    I came across this video on YouTube.

Since then I have looked into it a bit further and found that Mr Sheen seems to be quite widely used.
    What do other members use to keep their visors clean whilst riding?

Bravo likes this.
  2. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

One thing is the wax would cause loss of clarity I would think, but I would never polish a visor with tissue, after all it's wood and scratchy, I stick tissue to the visor to loosen up debris then wipe with microfibre cloth, and suffer dirty visor between :(

Ged

Barbelson likes this.
  3. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Years ago, I used Lemon Pledge furniture polish to keep my bike looking sharp in-between washings. It worked fairly well, filling in mild oxidation and drying clear and shiny. These days, I use Original Bike Spirits spray detail. On visors and windshields, it restores small scuffs, polishes out completely clear, and makes future cleanings easier. I even bring a can when I travel, as it easily removes bugs and road grime with no more than a small microfiber towel. Shop around and find a deal...the price varies a great deal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spray-Cl...5040&wl11=online&wl12=153318271&wl13=&veh=sem

Barbelson likes this.
  4. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Mr Sheen trigger spray works okay as it is silicon based I believe. Avoid furniture sprays with beeswax as this just smears: the Aldi one I bought is okay for tables not visors.
    Currently, I use a trigger spray of Turtle Wax car cleaner. It's colour matched to my old fleet of vehicles, a red car & red bike, so no use for my current fleet which are all blue. This seems to give a temporary coating to the visor that makes rain fly off if I turn my head. It does not last long though, but on the other hand, does not seem to have an adverse effect on the visor.

boxter and Barbelson like this.
  5. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

This article was taken from the July 2013 issue of Wired magazine. Be the first to read Wired's articles in print before they're posted online, and get your hands on loads of additional content by <span class="s1">subscribing online.

Buffs up faces and furniture. The ingredients that give this polish its shine also help to smooth your skin

Wired's chemist Dr John Emsley is the author of 110 research papers and 12 books, including <span class="s2">his latest, <span class="s1">Nature's Building Blocks, 2nd edition (OUP).

Ingredients

C10-12 alkane/cycloalkane

Butane

Isobutane

Propane

Dimethicone

Sorbitan oleate

Parfum

Hexyl cinnamal

Butylphenyl methylpropional

Benzyl salicylate

Microcrystalline wax

Paraffin

Sodium benzoate

Methylisothiazolinone

Methylchloroisothiazolinone

Cleaning solvents

C10-12 alkane/cycloalkane and paraffin (AKA kerosene) are mixed hydrocarbons that remove greasy marks and polish residues.

Propellant gases
    Butane, propane and isobutane propel the Mr Sheen from its container. They are also used as bottled fuels for patio heaters and barbecues.

Dimethicone

This is a colourless oil which leaves behind a water-repelling silicone layer on the surface that has been polished. It is also used in cosmetics to make skin feel smooth.

Sorbitan oleate

An emulsifier, this acts to ensure all the ingredients form a homogenous mixture. It also acts as a mild surfactant in its own right and is added to moisturisers.

Hexyl cinnamal

A widely used camomile fragrance.

Butylphenyl methylpropional

This adds a floral-bouquet smell and can be found in perfumes.

Benzyl salicylate

A fixative, it is there to help the fragrance molecules to blend in with the other ingredients. Of itself, it has almost no odour.

Microcrystalline wax

This consists of tiny hydrocarbon crystals which have 35 or more carbon atoms in their molecular structure. It creates a shiny surface.

Sodium benzoate

This powerful germicide (AKA E211) is particularly effective under acid conditions. It occurs naturally in cranberries.

Yes no wax :)

Ged

Barbelson likes this.
  6. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

What you need is a Turbo Visor. :D TurboVisor.jpg

7. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

RainX is your friend.

There will be a lot of people pile on now and say it will destroy your visor, that it will make the visor crack, etc. They'll probably even say it'll make your hair fall out. They'll probably even point out that per the company it is made for glass and not plastic. I've never experienced any issues in over a hundred thousand miles of use. I used it often enough that I kept a bottle at work as well, just in case I got there and realized the coating was wearing off.

Chris

ray2 and duccrazydave like this.
  8. Richard230

RainX has a compound specifically designed for plastic. I recently bought some at my local auto accessory store. I bet they sell it on Amazon, too.

RJC_BMW and Barbelson like this.
  9. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

Been using RainX since I first tried it many years ago - has always worked great for me, bikes and cars. I didn't know they made a plastic-compatible version but I have never seen any evidence that the regular stuff adversely affected the visors on any of my helmets.

Barbelson likes this.
  10. Barbelson

Barbelson Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys. It looks as though Rain-X for Plastic might by the way to go. It’s available on Amazon so I’ll give that a try. Thanks for your help.

RJC_BMW likes this.
  11. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

[​IMG]

I have it and it works.

RJC_BMW, Jim Evans and Barbelson like this.
  12. Duds

Duds Active Member

They also sell it cheap in Asda

Barbelson likes this.
  13. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

I use Plexus and used to use a Nixwax visor water repellent for all of the reasons cited for NOT using Rain-X. The Nixwax works, but doesn't last. Thanks for the Rain-X suggestion!

Barbelson likes this.
  14. Ian Thompson

Ian Thompson New Member

It's cheaper in Halfords believe it or not!

Barbelson likes this.
  15. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Plexus Plastic Polish, which is sadly becoming increasingly difficult to find in the UK (and is a complete rip-off when you do).
    It was designed for perspex aircraft cockpit canopies, and does a terrific job of polishing out minor scratches.
    I find in heavy rain, it will make water bead up and run off, but only last for around half an hour. I, too, have an additional supply in the office for touch-ups.

I believe it has more or less been replaced with Clearview (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Clearview-Polish-Clear-View-Plexiglass-Polish-Plexus-Replacement+3565).
    I have some of this for when my dwindling supply of Plexus is finished, and it seems pretty close (but not quite as good).

Barbelson likes this.
  16. Richard230

I love Plexus and use it all the time on my face shields, but I agree it is way over priced. However, it is readily available in most motorcycle accessory shops, as well as at Amazon, but no one gives a break on the price. :(

Barbelson likes this.
  17. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Yeah, we're talking more than £25 a can here nowadays.

18. Richard230

Here the 11 oz spray can of Plexus universally goes for $26. So you guys in the UK are getting even more screwed than we are, considering that your pound is worth about 40% more than our funny money.

Jim Evans and Scorch like this.