No customization options are available.

Warranty and Major breakdowns log

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Andy Griffiths, Jul 6, 2016.

1. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

ACF50 should not be necessary but BMW seem happy to swallow the warranty claims rather than invest in better quality materials. Most cars come with 10 year corrosion warranties, even ones costing £4000 less than a full spec RS. It's only a matter of using the right material and processes.

Leon.P. likes this.
  2. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Indeed. But what do we do? We still buy the bloody things. Putting ACF50 in your pride and joy when it's easy to do as a precautionary measure shouldn't be necessary but I'd probably do byway. Those holes invite some judicious squirting.

3. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I buy them but don't bother putting any effort into cleaning or protecting them. I want to ride my bikes not use them as a shaving mirror. I tend to do plenty of miles each year so when I trade my bikes in the mileage kills the trade in value so much, the condition makes such little difference. A couple of hundred quid maybe. Well, that additional drop in value is money well spent in my view.

4. Peter Burridge

It's okay for you matey, I can't afford to buy and trade as suits. Some of us have one bike as a long term thing.

Peter

5. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I don't trade every bike after a few years. I had my 2000 R1150GS for over a decade. Treated it the same as every other bike. I'm hoping the RS will last me a similar time for commuting and shorter journeys but I have to have a 2nd bike for longer trips due to hip pain on the RS.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  6. Peter Burridge

I ride my bike like I ride every bike, for enjoyment. It's probably my biggest pleasure. (2nd to my lovely wife of course) I also look after it. I see no sense in investing a lot of money in a bike and not doing all I can to keep it working well and not deteriorating unnecessarily. I've done that for more than 47 years. It's me. If I see a hint of corrosion I try do deal with it.

Peter

Phillo, Leon.P. and darrell like this.
  7. Chris Bolam

Chris Bolam New Member

I've ACF50'd the bejaysis out of it this winter. Shouldn't be necessary though. My GF has a £6k Kwaker ER6f and its frame is so well powder coated it's like Artex. And BMW can't afford to do the same on a £14k bike?! It's not just vanity - I want this bike to last a long time. I buy bikes for cash and keep them forever, but I'll ditch a bike that doesn't look like it'll go the distance. Little bits of exterior corrosion I'll sort out myself, but I'm not going to be left stuck with a complete rebuild out of warranty if the centre frame rots from the inside out by year 5.

Of course I'm sure if I was the kind of person that chopped it in for another bike every two years, BMW would be far more responsive.
    What made me laugh is they told me if I went and got the frame powder coated off my own bat before they fitted it, I'd invalidate the corrosion warranty. Ah, the LOLs!

Richard230 and Leon.P. like this.
  8. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

This issue of corrosion is yet another reason for the Poms to emigrate Down Under. Come On Down!!! All year riding. No hedge rows. Almost everyone speaks English. No Britex. Cold beer. Good cricket team. No need for electric clothes. No need to store coal in your bathtubs. I could go on and on and on...

Grumpy Goat and Chris Bolam like this.
  9. Tony101

Tony101 Active Member

Rugby team aren't up to much....................!

Willy likes this.
  10. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Well. So far BMW has not approved my claim. The Service adviser has reported that BMW feels that this problem is a first in Australia and so far they feel it may have been an accident.( My Fault) I'm not finished with Southbank Motorcycles Melbourne or BMW. Would be nice to hear from all those who have had the same problem.:(:(. Cheers Leon

11. Chris Bolam

Chris Bolam New Member

Don't tempt me! Although I don't see what you have against hedgerows. You never know - maybe BMW will start making their bikes fit for their markets' climate and then I'll only have to worry about Brexit, warm beer and solid fuel storage...

12. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

The secret is not to go looking for corrosion.
    Beer? You jest.

Willy likes this.
  13. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

On the other hand, I hear that you have some nasty animals down-under. Both big and small that like to either get in your way while your are moving
    or will bite you in the ass when you come to a stop. Plus, you experience lots of heat and the occasional wild fire that makes it every hotter. :eek: I recommend that everyone move to California, where everything is great and we ride on the right side of the road. ;) Plus, we could use some new blood to pay our high taxes, be bossed around by our politicians and replace all of our current residents who are moving to Texas. :rolleyes:

Leon.P. and runnerhiker like this.
  14. Richard230

Well, you know BMW. ;) They really don't want you to keep your new bike any longer than it takes to design, market and sell you a new one. The frame only needs to last that long. :oops: Besides: "Vee make zee perfect motorcycle, zee customer knows nothing", has been their motto for years, ever since the air heads vaporized. :rolleyes:

Leon.P. likes this.
  15. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Are they the ones who arrived illegally to start with?

16. Richard230

Nope. They are welcomed, fed and taken care of by our state. The ones who are shipping out are the people paying the taxes that help fund the welcome wagon. :rolleyes:

17. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Sounds like the state has leaders with foresight.

18. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

From the riding perspective I thoroughly dislike your hedgerows. Totally a lack of good visibility for critter (or human?!) that might wander onto the road in the path of a vehicle. Pretty dumb to me. Yes I am not used to riding in hedgerow conditions, but even if I were having them so close to the road is not smart.

19. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

You colonials are a bunch of softies.

Around here in the Cotswolds the roads are lined with stone walls with about a foot of grass verge if you are lucky. At least with a hedge you have a chance of passing through or a softish landing if you make a mistake.

I quite like these walls and hedges as they make reading the road ahead easier where the road is twisty. On the few occasions I have ridden on roads without any proper boundaries, as you get in France where they grow cereals, you can fall asleep from boredom. Calculating the apex of a corner from the vanishing point between two stone walls or looking ahead at telegraph poles to anticipate the lie of the road keeps you alert. These additional skills mark out a rider able to make good progress in British conditions and, in the worst cases, someone who wobbles around a corner in a series of "threepenny bit" movements.

Jim Evans likes this.
  20. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Some proper hedges and dry stone walls from a recent Lake District trip.

I love narrow roads and high hedges......adds to the total unpredictability of biking - you never know what's around the next corner.....could be nothing, a flock of sheep or a combine harvester......keeps you on your toes!