No customization options are available.

Warranty and Major breakdowns log

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Andy Griffiths, Jul 6, 2016.

1. coconutmilk

coconutmilk New Member

Update from the dealer, the gear selector spring broke. The gear selector I believe is the same as R1200GS LC.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R1200...ASE-BIKE-BREAKERS-EBAY-A-S-K-US-/322265640066

Anyway dealer is changing the entire transmission, since the gear selector is not available from BMW.

2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Just dislocated my elbow while patting myself on the back for my correct diagnosis.

It will be a $0.50 spring. It is probably external to the gear box, but will be between the motor and the gearbox.

Same labour as in remove and replace for a new gearbox.

If out of warranty probably six hours in your garage at home. Brew tea, chill beer, get the music on!!!

Leon.P. likes this.
  3. coconutmilk

coconutmilk New Member

I finally found a decent photo of the gear selector assembly. BMW mircofiche is not very informative.

I believe it was the shift pawl (highlighted red in the attached photo) that was bent or broken and not a broken spring. I recall the external shift lever would return to its neutral position but not catch and turn the shift drum.

Attached Files:

4. Tom Hagan

Tom Hagan Member

Looking like this replacement is on the way out as well.. if it doesn't dry up, BMW will buy #4 pump.. Maybe corporate should consider replacing the contract award.

Richard230 likes this.
  5. coconutmilk

coconutmilk New Member

Conclusion: Finally got my bike back from the dealer. They dropped the engine and replaced it with a new transmission, shift cover, gear box bearing in engine housing, and starter. The transmission, shift cover, and bearing are updated parts, so that may be why the shift cover alone is not available.

Leon.P. and Richard230 like this.
  6. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I think BMW gave you a very good deal. Almost wished it had happened to me!

Leon.P. likes this.
  7. Ian1405

Ian1405 New Member

Hi Ian,
    Did the replacement module rectify the fault?
    I've experienced this exact issue.... dealer has upgraded software and I now need to further test... Must say I'm not filled with confidence!

Peter Burridge likes this.
  8. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

My module was replaced to no avail. It took a complete new strut to solve my problem.

9. ianc53

ianc53 New Member

Well, therein lies a tale.
    When the problem occurred in May I took the bike back to the dealer and I was definitely told the ESA control had been replaced, they had the bike for nearly a week waiting for the replacement unit.
    Fast forward to September, out with a pillion (light weight one, my wife), get the same ESA failure light. Take it to the dealer. "It needs a new ESA control unit", they say. "You replaced it in May", I say. "Nothing on bike history, it has not been replaced", they say. "WTF?", I say. Anyway it's been replaced now (either for the first or second time, depending on who is telling the truth). So far so good, although not had a pillion on board since so there's still the chance it will fail again.
    Life holds many surprises for the RS owner.

Ian

10. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

It can only get better Ian. Hope your issues are over.:):)

11. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

I would love a new transmission. It's the only thing I absolutely hate about an otherwise stellar motorcycle. It's stiff, clunky and loud. Worse than a Harley. Of course the dealer says it's normal. Ugh.

12. Peter Burridge

With respect, work at it. In my experience good shifting is 90 % down to the rider. If you just bang away at the box it’ll be dire.

13. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Well they are replacing my entire throttle/grip assembly right now while I'm having coffee and an early lunch.

Hope they aren't this trigger happy to just replace stuff out of warranty.

Richard230 and Peter Burridge like this.
  14. Peter Burridge

I'd be quite pleased if they were happy to repair by replacement out of warranty.

I had a look at removing my main stand springs yesterday to get the stand re-coated. It's not as easy as I'd hoped, in part because of the springs being paired on a plate that swivels. They are also pretty damn stiff, a simple spring puller had no effect and even if it had the plate would have taken the slack up.

The manual shows a tool that connects between the plates and stretches both springs until they unhook from the stand on the keyholes.

Maybe I'll not bother :(

Peter

15. KJ Cornwall

KJ Cornwall Member

Strommer,
    Don't know what year your bike is, but I had a 2015 RS and found the box and quick shifter to be somewhat agricultural. I now have a 2017 GS and the difference (improvement) in the gearbox/shifter due to the modifications to the transmission are quite marked.
    Take a new RS out for a bestride and see whether you notice the improvements...then get your wallet out!

16. Peter Burridge

My 2015 is great. The only thing I'd trade up for is a quieter 1st gear selection from neutral. A certain amount of technique is needed and rewarded. I do see and hear riders simply hammering the gears through on these bikes and I cringe. I have always had strong mechanical sympathy and I couldn't do it. Maybe that's why I've worked at it over many years?

Compared to my 81 R100RS and it's ilk these gearboxes are night and day.

Richard230 likes this.
  17. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Yeah I meant more from a cost perspective I'm sure if you opened it up and took a look there would be a way to resolve it for less money than just bolting off the old part and bolting on the new one.

But I'm happy for it while in warranty as it made a monumental difference. Didn't realise how bad the throttle response actually was until they fitted the new one.

18. KJ Cornwall

KJ Cornwall Member

I understand where you are coming from. Treat it with respect and it pays dividends. Having said that. Doesn't it stick in your throat just a little that the boxer engine has been developed over decades and BMW still can't get a decent gearbox?! The Austrians have managed it for a similar price and the Japanese have got it sorted, at a fraction of the price.

Of course, BMW could add this to the options list: They could call it S.C.G (Smooth Change Gearbox) and charge £1,500 for it.
    Cynical? Me? Never!

19. Peter Burridge

I'm thinking that the gearbox is pretty damn decent to be honest. Positive and quick enough. The shift assist makes it very especially so outside of 1st and 2nd gear. I don't use shift assist most of the time and I find a bit of careful timing and rev matching with the throttle makes it as smooth as can be most of the time. I'm perfectly happy with mine excepting said 1st gear selection. Maybe I shouldn't shift into neutral so often but that mechanical sympathy strikes again.

Peter

Grumpy Goat and Leon.P. like this.
  20. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

Oh please, I'm no beginner. I'm 55 years old and have been riding for 42 years of that. I've owned more twenty bikes and ridden fifty others that I didn't own. I've got 22,000 miles on the RS and more than a half-million miles to date, I know when a transmission sucks! When I'm at a stop and put it into first gear and it sounds like someone is slamming the engine with a sledge hammer and the bike lurches forward, it's not me. Going through the gears is not much better and the quick-shifter on this bike is the absolute worse I've ever experienced. But thanks for your input.

Grumpy Goat and Peter Burridge like this.