No customization options are available.

Warranty and Major breakdowns log

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Andy Griffiths, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ianc53

ianc53 New Member

Just had the ESA control module fail at 1,700 miles on my 2016 SE. Out on a ride with a pillion and warning light came on, and as explained in the manual '..has too much damping and is uncomfortable to ride' - that's an understatement, it was like a jackhammer. Switching ignition off and on reset it , only for it fail and the next section of bumpy road. Here's hoping the new control module solves the problem.

2. Tom Hagan

Tom Hagan Member

Now on the third coolant pump, as well as a second claim on the Kombi case, due to adhesive creep and condensation. Also, a new wrinkle, a torn footrest rubber needs replacement too.

3. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

I hope this fixes it for you. On my 4th coolant pump for the last 5700+ miles and it leaked from mile one! Last "fix" was to install a foam rubber insert into the weep hole- that lasted less than 100 miles until coolant showed up again. I am dealing with BMWNA to see what will happen next.

Frank

4. Bobmg

Bobmg Member

Hi all, I have just been on a 1900 mile trip round Europe, half way through the trip I have got a black pixel line, just under the gear indicator, full length of the display, has any one else suffered this problem.
    Calling my local dealers tomorrow to see if there is a fix, tried all the display options, the line remains ??

5. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

6. TimMc

TimMc Member

I got my RS back from the dealer after a prolonged ~2 week stay. They've now changed the "Control Unit" (special order from Germany) and I've had no failures since :)

The dealer also loaned me a 2015 R1200R for two weeks while they were trying to fix my MY17 RS. The R engine was MUCH more responsive than my RS, particularly at low rpm and off idle. The R even in rain map felt more responsive than my RS in Dynamic mode!? The R reminds me of the grunt I miss from my ZX14R and wants to wheelie off the line and out of every corner. Loved it! (apart from the seating/handlebar position and the look of it...). I actually got both bikes dyno'd and the R was stronger everywhere, though not by as much as it felt. About 12hp more at 5800rpm, 10hp more at 7000 and 5.5hp more at max power (116 vs 110.4 @ ~7800). From the seat of the pants response though the R feels like it's a 1200 and my RS is only an 800. The feeling is that significant to me. The RS should only be about 5kg heavier than the R and I believe the spec including gearing is identical.(?) I always run 98 octane fuel and I believe the dealer uses 95.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  7. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

If I missed the extra power, I would be wanting answers. If I let my imagination have free reign, I would be really WANTING ANSWERS.....

TimMc likes this.
  8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Nope. I don't blip the throttle for that shift (or any for that matter), but if I do make that shift while coming to a stop I will use the GASP.

Jim Evans likes this.
  9. TimMc

TimMc Member

I want answers. Suspecting it's a Euro 4 compliance issue... Have a read from post 96 onwards here;
    http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/dynojet.3248/page-5

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  10. R50PPM

R50PPM Member

I get that similar increase in revs on down changes sometimes, when changing with clutch in I hear an increase in the revs, I just thought it was something to do with the funky gearshift assist thingy... mind you, that hardly works anyway, I'd say on 50% of the time can I get it to work. I'll ask the dealer when it goes in for its next service.

Alaskan likes this.
  11. coconutmilk

coconutmilk New Member

Odometer rolled passed 30,000 miles yesterday. Today my r1200rs went kaput on my commute home.

The gear shift lever can not change gear up or down. The bike is stucked in one gear. The shift lever is able to move through the normal shift range, but there is no gear to engage to.

I will drop the bike off at the dealer tomorrow.

12. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

Some of you need to read the manual, and listen to the people who know, when left to the machines systems it works flawlessly.

Be objective, and prepare to break old habits, and unlearn mechanics.

Phillo likes this.
  13. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Please keep the forum informed. Assuming the external linkage is ok, the most likely failure will be the light spring on the "claw" that spins the selector drum.

14. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

When experiencing the sharp jump between gears during GASP operations I keep wondering if that shock is doing any long-term damage to the transmission components?

Jim Evans likes this.
  15. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I had my luggage rack replaced under warranty yesterday. The paint closest to the pannier mushroom bolts had begun bubbling, and it was looking a bit tatty.
    Looking at the lovely smooth paint on the new rack really brought home how bad it was on the old one.

Attached Files:

16. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Crikey, that is manky!

17. Barnesyboy

Barnesyboy Active Member

as reported earlier my luggage rack was also replaced. The paint had actually flaked off. What's more disconcerting is similar looking paint on the swing arm.

18. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Another claim I guess....

19. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I should check mine before my warranty comes to an end next week. :eek:

Then again, I've signed up for an extended warranty, so I should be ok...

20. coconutmilk

coconutmilk New Member

Dealer service dept indicated the needed part (the guy that relayed the message didn't know what it was call) is not available from BMW, and there is not timeline on the part availability from Germany. Worst case scenario is that they have to replace the transmission. Dealer is waiting to hear back from BMW.

What have been your experience with BMW's practice in providing a loaner motorcycle when a bike is out of service for an extended (20 days, 30 days, or more?) period of time?