No customization options are available.

Warranty and Major breakdowns log

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Andy Griffiths, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

As suggested in adjacent thread - a place to log warranty claims and other major breakdown, just so members know if any particular fault occurs more often that it should

Jimmi, folagana and boxerboy like this.
  2. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I've had my rear 'strut' complete suspension unit replaced under warranty. I had an increasingly persistent yellow warning triangle and ESA fault that came on with the ignition and needed it turning off and on to clear. Eventually it became permanent.

Successive re-boots and a new ESA Module didn't cure it. A complete rear strut did.

3. Charlie7

Charlie7 Member

I had a "throttle valve sensor failure".

On the return leg from a trip to Tennessee and only 118 miles from home, my almost exactly one-year old RS with about 13,000 miles on the odometer suddenly went into "limp mode" and the yellow triangular warning light came on. I was limited to about 25 miles per hour and made it to the nearest exit.

The problem was a bad throttle valve sensor on the right cylinder. It is not a matter of simply replacing the sensor, the entire throttle body has to be replaced as a unit. Of course, something like this one wouldn't expect to be in stock. The shop told me to expect at least a two week wait until the part arrived from Germany. Very glad the bike is under warranty as it is about a $600 part!

Charlie

4. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

Two seeping water pumps by 3500 miles. Since then (at 10,000 mi) nothing but love.

Frank

5. Yoda

Yoda Active Member

Leaking left fork seal. Dealer replaced both sides under warranty.

6. Charlie7

Charlie7 Member

At 2,173 miles had warranty repair for leaking water pump. Now at 13,000 miles still good!
    Charlie

7. Tom Hagan

Tom Hagan Member

Had a seeping coolant pump replaced under warranty at the 600 mile service, and a reprogram of shift assist. So far, no other issues have arisen.

8. Andy Griffiths

Hey, this was a great idea ( Peter)

RS i Mc, slowpoke, woolf and 2 others like this.
  9. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Hope that does not happen to me (and nothing else either) on my trip to the BMW MOA Rally! My bike is 9 months old and has 10k miles on the clock. I have to get back at the planned end of my trip because I have a mandatory training course starting the next day.

10. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Two items of minor problems for me.
    1 - left switch unit started to separate, it then caused satnav, indicator, computer and control issues. Dealership ordered a new switch and rotary controller on my phone call, no need to 'visit and show it is faulty' which was good. Part ordered and once in stock it was fitted the next day. Good response
    2 Thought/think I have a faulty water pump, leak hole showing stains but no loss of expansion tank water. Happened between 3000 - 3500 miles over two days. No further leaks, staining or water loss. Still think it was an issue with the filter pad/sponge they stick inside the drain hole to stop dirt ingress. Dealer happy for me to leave alone, still have another 12 months warranty and do not want bike repaired if not needed, will monitor as agreed. Just had first year service at 7000 miles and no water loss or staining, maybe just bedding in or as I think, it was first few times I got bike hot in traffic.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  11. Jan Willem Helmers

Jan Willem Helmers Active Member

I had 2 right left switch units replaced, both times for a failing cruise control switch.
    I also got a new luggage rack (it corroded near the thread for the not present side case)
    I also the complete two into one exhaust header replaced because the exhaust valve squeaked ... :D (the looked awful after 24.000 km, so I'm rather happy about that)

12. GenadyL

GenadyL Active Member

Seeping water pump by 2500 miles. All good since

13. Andy Griffiths

Brown water spots on pannier rails
    Impressive mileage

Jan Willem Helmers likes this.
  14. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

Pannier tube frame was rusting, warranty work was to fill the tubes with black gunk, the frames were not replaced.
    I have scheduled warranty work in a week to replace the clutch slave cylinder. Mine has not failed, it's a recall.
    I have 4,500 miles and it's 9 months old.

15. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I had a major high pressure fuel leak from the left injector. BMW found a failed "O" ring. Small issue, but had I not noticed it on start up and shut down within seconds, it could have been "difficult".

Thierry Tits likes this.
  16. Jan Willem Helmers

:) I got my RS on 1st August 2015, just today I got my second set of new tyres at 27.426 km (17041 miles)

Leon.P. likes this.
  17. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Is tyre wear classed as a major breakdown?

Scorch likes this.
  18. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

No tyres are not classed as a major breakdown but look at the miles that Jan managed to get. I will be happy to get 12000 km out of my Metzeler Rear. What is the norm?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  19. David Evans

David Evans Member

My luggage/grab rails corroding at point they meet the stainless spigots.

20. Jan Willem Helmers

That's probably the same spot, as I do not have the side cases I don't have the stainless spigots, I only have the empty threaded holes.