No customization options are available.

WARNING! BMW LED Turn Signals

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by elchino, Aug 5, 2015.

1. elchino

elchino Member

I went to my long trusted dealer yesterday to install an Admore light, an Akrapovic slip on, and I wanted to swap the turn indicators for BMW OEM LED signals.

The LED signals look sleek and are bright. They give the bike a sportier look.

Here was the issue: Once the dealer fits your turn signals they need to hook it up to the BMW computer and tell the CANBUS that you now have LED turn signals otherwise the CANBUS throws a fault saying you have a bulb(s) out. The turn signals are simply plug in to the stock harnesses so no cutting/splicing etc.

Once the dealer places the bike on computer everything checks out but when we test them they are opposite of what the turn signal switch indicates. The switch is selected for left turn and the rear indicates left but front right blinks and vice versa. BMW computer says everything is working as it should. After an hour or two of checking wires, looking at wiring diagrams to make sure everything is as it should be from factory (it was) - I said forget it just put the old ones back on.

They said we tried that already - still doesn't. Seems like the software from the BMW computer programmed the lights on the bike's brain wrong and there is no way at present to restore to original!!

The dealer reversed the wiring so now they work as it should and will be getting together with BMW tech support to report and sort this out. The dealers have some sort of system called "PUMA" where they can list these issues for BMW tech to sort out and for other dealers to be aware of the problem.

I will keep everyone posted as to what I hear back.

I have a lot of faith in this dealership - bought 4 bikes from them in the past and their techs are great. I drive 100 miles each way for routine service when I can (also a nice ride). Incidentally, I was not charged labor for this install considering all the snafus along the way.

Just putting this up as a warning and a heads up to the group.

Attached Files:

2. Jan van der Meij

Jan van der Meij Member

Weird...
    I'm glad that I bought my RS with the LED turn signals.

What is an Admore light? Do you have a picture?

3. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

can they reprogram ALL the lights? ie parking lights for LED, also?

4. elchino

elchino Member

Very nice piece of equipment. Essential here in Florida to be as noticeable to drivers as possible. I paid $129. Install is not terrible to do but a ton of wires. If interested I will take some pics of the wiring and post it to save some people headaches and $$. I will get it posted by this weekend

Here is a vid on the Admore.

Brickhead likes this.
  5. Brickhead

Brickhead Active Member

I asked my dealer (specifically their chief wrench) about disabling the lamp warning for the parking lights, and I was told it can't be done.

6. Tony101

Tony101 Well-Known Member

The trick with the indicators might be to wire a resistor into each light unit. I believe that it fools the electrics into thinking that there's still a standard filament bulb in there and stops the double time flashing.

7. MRM

MRM Active Member

May want to ask your dealer when the last time they updated their service computer software. When my update for shift assist caused the bike to do weird stuff, it was traced back to their software was last updated 6 months before...before the RS came out. It could be that the service software recognizes enough of the BMW commonality to load the LED program, but w/o being updated for the RS it is jacking up the programming? Probably a long shot, but couldn't hurt to ask. Incidentally, once they updated their service software, my RS's shift assist software was updated w/o issue. Works like a million bucks again!

elchino likes this.
  8. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

l know the trick, but it bothers me to waste the excess power as heat. I've got 4 watt LEDs installed right now and it still trips the sensor. Need to find another bulb or running light to splice in.

9. elchino

elchino Member

UPDATE!

Heard back from the dealer. BMW North America says that they need to re-flash the module/computer that controls the lights and then after reinstall they will again tell the system I have the LED turn signals. BMW NA is confident that this will fix the issue. I have an appointment on Aug 15 - will keep everyone updated.

10. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

You mean the fault light telling you a bulb is out?
    If so, then they can do it, they just don't know it.
    I have a friend with a US S1000RR, it came with incandescents.
    He ordered the LED BMW indicators.
    The dealer put them on and flashed the firmware to fix the fault light.

My local dealer(s) also told me I couldn't put an R1200R handlebar on my bike, and they said that I couldn't add DTC and Ride-Modes-Pro.
    I showed them pictures of bikes (thanks to this forum) where people reported actually doing these things.
    The dealers then checked with BMW HQ and changed their story.

-Ben.

11. elchino

elchino Member

That is the normal process. You install the LED and the BMW dealer then tells the computer you have LED lights so the fault doesn't come up. Question is....if you add aftermarket LED will the dealer do the update/flash for you and what issue would that bring to the dealer since it is not BMW OEM. Would it affect your warranty?

ichirozrx likes this.
  12. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

Sorry to hear that Elchino! Hope you get it solved quickly. Are you dealing with the store in Ft Myers? I've heard they have a great reputation.

13. shootersteve77

I wonder why the US bikes don't come with the LED turn signals? It was the same with my S1000R. Very disappointing.

14. PeterG

PeterG Active Member

The LED turn signals are optional at extra charge in Germany. You get them when ordered (100 €) or as part of the Dynamic package.

15. Jan van der Meij

Jan van der Meij Member

In The Netherlands too.

16. shootersteve77

Well here in the states, there is no option for them anywhere that I can find.

17. elchino

elchino Member

I am! Great dealer - I have bought a couple of bikes from them in the last 8 years. Hoping that it gets resolved on the 15th when I head up there again.

18. Brickhead

Brickhead Active Member

I wasn't talking about the indicators, my RS was born with LED indicators, and my F800 didn't complain when I changed them myself after they became available from BMW. I asked my dealer about the parking lights, aka side lights.

Do you have reason to believe that the dashboard warning and/or fault log entry can be disabled for the T10/w5w/194/501 type parking/side lights?

19. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

Sorry, don't know about those.

20. Thomas Frothingham

Thomas Frothingham New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if you posted the pictures of the wiring for the Admore light strip. I'm having trouble getting it to work properly. Thanks.