No customization options are available.

Tyre pressure sensor stickers

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Keith R, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Keith R

Keith R Member

Just gave my bike a good wash after a four day trip over the weekend around the Somme and Ypres battlefields. Power wash needed to get all the mud off. Unfortunately I now seem to have lost the little stickers on the rim indicating where the TPMS sensors are located. I remember therear one was near the valve, but cannot remember if the front one was also near the valve.

I am having new tyres fitted shortly so wanted to make sure the filter knew where the sensors were.

Just wondered if the consensus was that they were all fitted in the same place.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

They are mounted near the tire valve.

The new tire is pushed onto the wheel and then the tire bead is fitted around the sensor first and then the tech will complete mounting the tire.

ray2 likes this.
  3. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I don't power wash my bike, ever. Too much risk of forcing water into places where it can do harm. It'll be interesting to see what the general consensus on this is.

SDOC 100 and a hose works very well.

TimMc, runnerhiker, ray2 and 2 others like this.
  4. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm with you Peter. In the 45 years I have been riding never once have I used a power washer to clean the bike. I use a garden hose with a shower type head on the end for wetting and rinsing. For drying I use a 40 V battery operated leaf blower used solely for the bikes and then a light wipe down of both the bike and leaf blower.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  5. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I've got a blower too, a mains powered one. Very effective.

6. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Member

Here's what the sticker is identifying, attached to the valve itself. IMG_8214.JPG

7. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Power washer on fan setting used at a distance can be gentler than a garden hose on shower setting. No one said it has to be used up close. Depending on the nozzle it can really do some damage.

8. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Years ago the local bike shop used to let everyone clean their bikes for free!!!
    Owner knew he would soon be dealing with requests for new chains, wheel bearing or headstock work on 'over cleaned' machines.
    Most of us knew the game and tried to warn new recruits but a few always got too close with the high pressure.

9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I wonder how they mount on the newer front wheels where the stem comes out the side of the spoke.

10. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Good to know you wipe down the leaf blower after drying the bike ! No, seriously I'm with you guys I have never been tempted to let a pressure washer anywhere near my bikes, a gentle hose down prior to manual washing , rinsing and drying off , sometimes with my cordless leaf blower - which is useless for managing leaves by the way, simply scatters them all over the place, give me a rake any day for that task.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  11. darrell

Okay, thanks for catching that. I adjusted my original post so not to confuse others.

12. darrell

This past April I was traveling in Texas and stayed at the Best Western in New Braunfels for two nights as wanted to spend an evening at the old dance hall and visit the Farm Street Historic Chicken Sanctuary and museum covering the WWII Camp Swift in Bastrop. When I checked in to the motel the front desk person noticed I was on a motorcycle and handed me a pail with cleaning items for my bike telling me where to attach the hose. He told to return the bucket and hose to the front desk when I left. Dropped it off the morning I left and the person who took the bucket said the towels are yours, thanks for staying with us. Nice touch.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

runnerhiker, Alda and Richard230 like this.
  13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Darrell you get 2 demerits for placing the cleaning rags on the ground :)
    upload_2017-11-15_10-29-28.jpeg

AZGeek, oscarguitar, TimMc and 2 others like this.
  14. darrell

Sorry, but I had used them two days to clean and wipe the bike down and thought I was done with them so took a photo of the items before taking them to the front office to turn in. Then they told me to keep them. They got washed that night and now lay on the special towel shelf in my garage.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  15. boxter

boxter Active Member

I use a pressure washer occasionally, especially if I think there is salt on the bike, I can get the soap at low pressure in inaccessible area's with a cloth or brush, this neutralises the salt and then under pressure well away from nozzle,
    I use a compressor with nozzle to blow water away, especially my calipers and discs that rust easy if bike is put away wet.
    It then enjoys my fast dehumidifier in the garage.
    Sorted.

Ged

16. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Member

This is on a '16 RS with the stem mounted on the spoke. I should have said directly under the valve.

Lee likes this.
  17. Alda

Alda Active Member

First time I've seen a slow down sign for a chicken.
    Alan

18. darrell

There are about 150 wild chickens in this area which is 5 blocks long. The local residents put out pans of water for them. They have been in this area over 100 years. The city sweeps the street frequently to clean up the poop. I was there on a very warm day so only a few around.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  19. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Saw something like that on Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs.
    Nothing a fox or 2 wouldn't fix.

darrell likes this.
  20. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

That's a fantastic service - never had that anywhere I've stayed :)