No customization options are available.

twin turbo

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by JohnnyRocket, Oct 30, 2017.

1. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

2. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Now that is a really clean aftermarket turbo installation. :)

3. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

I know there's all sorts of clever people out there but honestly - why would you want to do this :rolleyes: when you can buy a zillion stock bikes with 180 bhp from the manufacturer

4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

... and why on a GS? I guess it is simply a challenge, and that is a good enough reason. o_O

5. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

These guys doing this seem to have done a nice neat installation. I'm sure they have reason to be proud!

But like Andy Griffths said. This make no sense when you can buy bike with 180 or more HP that are the complete package, well sorted and under factory warrantee.

I do think the rumors of a Kawasaki Super Charged tourer make might make a lot of sense.

Turbo or Super charging give smaller displacement engine the same or better performance of much larger normally aspirated engines. It also increase efficiency, i.e. gas milage and better emission results.
    Most modern autos run on 2 liter or less turbo charged engines.

Turbos on motorcycle require a lot of plumbing (i.e. weight and bulk) where the new Kawasaki variable input vane super charger is much simpler and seems more suitable to motorcycle applications.

Dreaming of a 700cc Super Charged sport tourer (110 hp 90lbs torque) that weights 450lbs...set up for touring with EAS suspension, the bells and whistles!!

Andy Griffiths likes this.
  6. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Odd that a non-liquid-cooled engine was used. Imagine the power that a turbo might produce if the combustion chamber could be kept cooler. I guess the exhaust plumbing of the LC engine made placement of the turbo problematic. Love the intercoolers, though...

7. boxter

boxter Active Member

I'm expecting that the water going into intake would improve horse power !! Or oversight.

Ged

8. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Project may have started before LC motor was available or cheapish.

James Bagley likes this.
  9. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

I think this is a very big question... I had the option of a S1000SX with more power... but opted for the bike with more character... its all a question of individualism.. modding bikes is a whole industry... I for one would love to have such an individual bike... I think this article is not that recent... plus the airhead bike is cheaper to replace if you melt the engine... I'm impressed they linked the BMW electronics... looks Über cool!

James Bagley likes this.
  10. James Bagley

Cool, indeed! I also dig the connection to BMW’s “kompressor” bike’s from before WW2; like Walter Zeller’s 1939 RS255 Kompressor...the bike that got supercharging banned in road racing (see below). Earlier (1929), Ernst Henne had supercharged an R37 and set the world speed record (@216mph), setting BMW in motion with their “Das schnellste motorrad der welt” ad campaigns (also below)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Aussie Import and Richard230 like this.
  11. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I am not a visceral BMW fan. My heart is with Yamaha. But BMW made the bikes which are best suited to me. Despite their image as old and staid, BMW is one major innovator. Yamaha is also a major innovator, but it's history is shorter.
    BMW telescopic forks, clean enclosed motors, gearboxes and drives, the Paralever, the Telelever and DuoLever, ABS. Durability, longevity, reliability. Easy to live with and a joy to ride.

12. James Bagley

BMW is no longer as stodgy as they were through the post-war “Airhead Era.” Their new approach is very modern and their new machines are leading edge. I find that the mix of classic architecture (opposed twin, shaft-drive) and up-to-date technology makes a pretty lovable bike. Considering that BMW was doing such brilliant stuff in their early days, they have actually just returned to their old ways.