No customization options are available.

Tracking a RS

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Hugh, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Hugh

Hugh Member

I don't have a sports bike any longer but have booked 1:1 training with California Superbike. I was wondering what people's experience has been with a RS on the Track. I was thinking of doing a couple of sessions on my RS to see what it can do and then hiring a Panigale 959. Would welcome any advice / thoughts.

Hein and ray2 like this.
  2. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

What is your present riding skill level? That would be important in answering the question. Many have taken the RS to the track and have had great results so the bike itself would be fine.

3. Hugh

Hugh Member

I have done level 4 Superbike and slightly beyond, but always on a track bike. My last was a HP4.

ray2 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Then I think that your approach has merit ... ride the RS to get a baseine for the bike then the Panigale for fun. Would love to hear (see video?) the results of the experience.

5. Hugh

Hugh Member

I might be able to get some video from the instructor which I can post. Also will be interesting to do a compare and contrast which I can write up afterwards. I have always found the RS easy to lean into corners so don't suspect that the Ducati will be quicker there but more so on the straights.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  6. Hugh

Hugh Member

And I am not going to use any fancy tyres. Going to rely on my current set of RA3's and will be interested to see how they behave.

Vtbob and Grumpy Goat like this.
  7. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

So this comment is going to keep most of the crowd quiet.

As far as I can tell, everyone had fun on the track. It certainly is the best way to find out how it feels at the limits of the lean angle.

If you run a search you'll find a video of a short circuit, a few pictures including some of some cylinder damage that no one else has been able to reproduce and is presumed due to turning while still under front braking. The RS definitely appreciates getting the braking out of the way before dropping into a tight corner - but you probably have already a better feel for that than most of us.

Difficulty with clearance while trail braking is probably the biggest difference between the boxer and a real sport bike - but what better way to find out than on the track.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I think having fun with speed is in your mind, it is not an absolute physical sensation.
    I thought my 1st bike, a Honda CD125U was fast and really quick around corners. It wasn't of course, but the thrill was there.
    We bought the latest and greatest, H2, Z, CBX, GSX, XS... best and brightest. Today they are now seen as oversized, overweight lead sleds.
    I can appreciate a Panigale may be faster than the RS on the track, and its limitations less intrusive, but so what? Which takes more skill? Which repays finesse with improvement?
    Why do people still want to race the Norton Manx, CB77, Bonneville, AJS7R and the like?
    It isn't the bike, it is the rider's head.

Daniel, Vtbob, Jim Evans and 3 others like this.
  9. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

You can track anything. Sounds like you have the skill level. As others have said get on it and feel it out. Hope you did not buy it mainly for the track as there are far better bikes out there for that.

Leon.P. likes this.
  10. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

The first bike I ever tracked was a 1968 Honda CL350 and I would regularly drag parts in the curves trying to be the next up and coming Moto GP star. What? You never heard of me? Well, that part never quite worked out. ;)

BUT as years went on, although I tracked/raced much more powerful and capable bikes, I never had as much fun as I did on that Honda! So, as noted, you can (and should, if you get the chance) track ANYthing. It's fun and great experience.

duccrazydave and Leon.P. like this.
  11. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I tracked my Yamaha FJR1300A and loved the experience. So go for it.:)

12. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

One of the most fun bikes - maybe the most fun - I ever raced was a BSA Bantam racer. With no brakes, no power and a three-speed gearbox it brought a whole new meaning to "carrying corner speed". I remember riding in a pack through the "Glade" at Crystal Palace, everyone in a two- wheel drift. Not something you'd care to repeat on a superbike!

GordonH, Leon.P. and ray2 like this.
  13. mzpog

mzpog Member

Never done a track on a with a true road bike (see below) except IOM course but that doesn't count.
    I expect it'd be fun to ride the RS and show up some more focused/race rep bikes.
    Here's me having a blast on a track.

Attached Files:

14. Brimstone Mahone

The IOM course doesn't count? Wow, IMO, it's the ultimate Moto race track; if it doesn't count what the heck does?

Aussie Import likes this.
  15. mzpog

mzpog Member

Just doesn't count for me when the course was open as a public road, even if the mountain was one way for race week and no speed limits applied (which was always great fun).

16. Brimstone Mahone

Ah..I understand; I was thinking you had raced in the TT or the Manx GP. Sorry...

Re the IOM, The last time I was there for the Manx in '16 there were no speed limits on the mountain at any time. I understand now there are speed limits and radar-generated speeding tickets on the Island everywhere - cops with radar guns at some of the best parts of the course. We're going to the Manx this year but the speed limits won't really affect us too much - we rent Kawasaki 650 twins. But it may pose a problem for the SS Ducati's, etc that usually blow by us on the mountain at 80+ MPH over our speed! :)

ray2 likes this.