No customization options are available.

Touring with a reluctant partner?

Discussion in 'Readers Rides' started by boxerboy, Mar 20, 2018.

1. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Probably many of you enjoy touring with a partner, or maybe it's hard to justify a holiday with riding buddies rather than your partner. Certainly for me it makes sense to spend holiday time with my wife but honestly she's become a reluctant pillion rider for anything more than a day trip. I think the packing and unpacking on a daily basis regardless of weather holds little appeal and I can't say I blame her, yet I want some riding days whilst on holiday. So we're trying a different approach this summer, the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo is booked for a week in late May and we have booked an apartment on the Finistere coast of Brittany for a whole week. So that's one unpack and repack and days out exploring Brittany whenever the weather is good. My wife's a painter so if she wants to spend a day with brushes and canvas I can always head-off alone. Now we have planned this way it's seems so bloody obvious, but in case anyone else faces the same challenge and hasn't considered this option I though it worth sharing.
    Whatever you plan, I hope you get some great rides with friends or partners this summer.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Jim Evans, Scorch, Al D and 4 others like this.
  2. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Sounds ideal bb, the best of both worlds.
    I rode across Australia (7000 kms) with my wife on the back with not a complaint. Mind you, she didn't get back on the bike for another 3 months, only last week we had an excellent day in the Alpine regions of SE Australia.

ray2 and Leon.P. like this.
  3. boxerboy

Hi Michael, Our last tour resulted in her staying off the bike for 12 months! Riding across Australia ( southern coast I guess) sounds epic, I know Sydney and Perth but nothing in between.

4. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Another option is to ride somewhere then collect your partner at an airport. A mate has done this - ride his bike to near Sorrento in Italy and his wife flies in to Naples. They stay with relatives and can use the bike for day trips. He gets a few days of solo time and can ride over an Alp or Dolomite on the way. In the past he has done the trip with his teenage son as pillion.
    Flights to small regional airports via Easyjet are cheap so you can explore all sorts of places. Pick somewhere like Bergerac and you can ride down through the lumpy bits in the middle of France and then have a few days in a hotel or gite with the other half. Brescia near the Italian Lakes is another option.

ray2 and boxter like this.
  5. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

My thoughts were , my partner takes a flight to south of France for a week, and I ride down before on bike to collect her from the airport week of Nice and coast and back on my toddy while she fly's back in time to warm bed before I get back on bike.

Ged

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  6. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

Just beat me to it wessie.:)

Ged

7. Mac J

Mac J Member

Another option is to leave her at home and ride with your mates!
    Works for me.

OW31, Leslie, Scorch and 4 others like this.
  8. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Cannot complain as my wife has been a back seat rider for over 30 years on a hobby not of her choosing. Stopped completely a few years ago so I am grateful of the times we did travel but now accept I am a solo only holiday rider. Never had the 'too old/when are you going to stop' chat as that will also be an individual choice.
    Whatever works for your partner is their choice - happy wife, happy life.

Jim Evans, Bravo, Leon.P. and 2 others like this.
  9. boxerboy

Boxter and Wessie, yes this is another good alternative that I have started to think about, I'm quite happy just by myself with the bike so connecting at an airport could be a smart option. Maybe next year.
    Mac , I hear you but as I travel so many weeks of the year with my work I really want to spend vacations with my wife (and my RS)!

boxter and Leon.P. like this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Member

Works for me too, they just mess up the handling

Bravo and Leon.P. like this.
  11. Tony101

Tony101 Well-Known Member

A man after my own heart!!

Bravo likes this.
  12. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I managed to convince my wife to do a mini tour with me ... ONCE.
    We did a long weekend away to Norfolk on my F800S, and she immediately vowed that she'd never get on the back of any bike again for longer than an hour.

When she started riding herself, I thought I'd be able to convince her to ride together, but she's just not interested. She's happy commuting daily and doing the occasional half-day ride-out in good weather, but she's just not interested in spending all day riding. It's a pity, but on the other hand, it means she gives me a week's pass each year to go bombing around somewhere awesome, while she looks after the little one.
    (Last year was the Pyrenees and this year it's going to be Scotland again)

Bravo likes this.
  13. boxerboy

Sounds good Scorch, I guess full days on a motorbike is not everyone's idea of a holiday - can't understand why but it takes all sorts! Seems you have a good weeks pass each year, enjoy!

Bravo and Scorch like this.
  14. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

Rohypnol and bungee cords?

m1bjr and Scorch like this.
  15. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

the only way to get them to return to Norfolk

Scorch likes this.
  16. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

I can't argue with you on that one.

Scorch likes this.
  17. dinez

dinez Member

I'm blessed that my wife is a motorcyclophobia

18. Shady

Shady Member

My other half is currently researching helmets and jackets, having never been on a bike . Just waiting for the weather to turn warmer before we venture out on the bike for the first time. Desperately hoping she likes it enough to do some weekends away on a regular basis. Luxury camping of course... at first. And maybe some festivals. Fingers crossed

Dave likes this.
  19. Shady

Shady Member

Would appreciate any tips for a sweet campsite within a couple of hours of London...

20. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

The longest tour my wife and I ever did on a bike was to the Highlands of Scotland from Essex, camping, on a 150 cc BSA Bantam. We had to draft trucks up the A1 to get it up to 40 mph (although it loosened up enough to do 60 on the way back). The day after we got home the back wheel fell apart.
    We've never done any serious touring since, I don't know why.

Bravo likes this.