No customization options are available.

Tour plans?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by iPaul, May 31, 2017.

1. iPaul

iPaul Active Member

Hi Folks,

Just three weeks now until I'll be going with 3 of my friends on a trip to La Belle France on our bikes. We're heading down to our tour base just inland from La Rochelle, to spend a week touring around and enjoying all the warm twisty empty roads that join the cafes and restaurants together :D We will be calling in at the motoring museum at the Le Mans circuit on the way down, and coming back via a day long detour along the Loire valley. Can't wait!

I'm also tentatively planning a week in Scotland on the bike to visit my old KTM riding friend Alan and play on the nice empty, twisty, midge-free (he said somewhat optimistically) Scottish roads. Alan did a two week tour of the Alps and Dolomites with me a couple of years ago and I'm going to try to talk him into a repeat of that next summer.

So, do you have any bike tour plans for this year that you are getting excited about, or any ideas starting to form around possible destinations?

Cheers,

Paul

Nomad5326 likes this.
  2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Spent three hours on the phone/net last Saturday and eventually got through to book Isle of Man ferry tickets ... for next year :eek:

3. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

I will look out for you Paul, I leave for Bordeaux on the 8th, returning on the 23rd, out Roscoff, back Le Havre

4. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I'm leaving on Saturday for a 9 day loop around the French and Spanish Pyrenees.
    I am ridiculously excited by this...

Here's one sample from Day 2 of the tour:
    Tour Day 2.JPG
    The bit around Entraygues-sur-Truyere is my favourite piece of road from all my years of riding, so will be done multiple times! :)

boxerboy likes this.
  5. Andy Griffiths

I hate you:(..not really - enjoy it

Scorch likes this.
  6. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Wanna come along?
    The other two bikes will be a Multistrada and an R1200RT, so having another RS along to gang up on the other guys will be cool... ;)

7. Andy Griffiths

You terrible person ..if only I could. I have some long haul travel commitments over the next two months that preclude any bike trips :(

8. R50PPM

R50PPM Member

I'm leaving on the 24th June for Southern France, we'll be doing all the mountain passes around Chamoix and Mont Blanc while we are down that way. I'm really looking forward to the BM on the trip, will be different than the two Honda CB1300'S I've done the trips on for the last 10 years..

9. boxter

boxter Active Member

I will be heading to Europe on the 30th June, 10 days . France ( as short as possible ) Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, for stelvio pass, through northern Italy and into Austria for the glosglockner, and back through Baden Baden and back. Can't wait.

Two RS's.

Ged

10. kristoph

kristoph Member

I'm counting down the days to September 16th when my better half and I get the Portsmouth to Santander ferry.
    We then spend three days meandering down to Aragon for the Moto GP, spoiling ourselves with one overnight stop at the Parador de Siguenza 'en route'.
    Then, we are heading down along the Med coast towards Almeria to visit friends for a few days.
    I'm then travelling solo back up through Spain to Santander to get the return ferry on October 2nd.
    Solo ? I hear you ask, yep, the missus is flying back a couple of weeks later !!
    K

11. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Last wed lunchtime, weather report good for 3 days so ....
    Euros, Swedish, Norwegian currency collected, insurance booked, two overnight stops, channel tunnel and ferry Hirtshals to Larvik bookedâ˜ș
    Thursday leave for Einhoven 446 miles
    Friday morning, Eindhoven to Denmark stop 450 miles
    Sat 3hrs to Hirtshals ferry, 4hours to Larvik, ride down to csmpsite and all in the dry 360miles
    Now been here and will head north on Saturday.
    If I load correct picture I am sat in their TV WiFi room on the right in sunshine at www.kilefjorden.com campsite.
    IMG_20170528_195907.jpg

12. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Bike is now at 1600 miles for trip plus 600 service was done two weeks ago.
    No oil or water use, bike running well EXCEPT 4th gear, 2500 to 300 revs are giving me vibration, thrumming, engine hunting and a complete disappointment considering my 2015RS was fine here last year. Sounds like something is running off centre and I am avoiding any steady throttle work, it seems OK on overrun or driving up hill, like the euro settings are confusing the engine management.
    No point calling BMW breakdown as they told me last year when left switchgear was loose to only call if I broke down and bike was disabled.
    Will be in to dealership where I get a better service!!!

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  13. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I've had 4 biking trips already this year with overnights away: Yorks/Lincs in March, Avignon, Cote d'Azur at Easter; Mid Wales at May BH, Mid Wales again at Spring BH.
    At the end of June I return to France leading a group of 10. Champagne Ardennes, Burgundy, Jura, Rhone Alpes using Grenoble as a base for 3 nights.

14. Joogles

Joogles Member

Off to Nepal in Nov for two weeks. No rs though, so I'll be hiring royal enfield 500. Apparently poor roads but awesome scenery.

Scorch likes this.
  15. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Ferry booked for September jolly to Germany for 10 day trip.

16. iPaul

iPaul Active Member

Excellent stuff guys. I look forward to seeing the photos, especially from the Nepalese tour.

Safe riding everyone and enjoy the trips.

17. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Enjoy!

Great seafood at La Rochelle.

I've recently visited Scotland......midges were OK but getting worse...details below
    La Rochelle is a pretty old port with fantastic seafood, bars and restaurants. Check out the Isle de Re and the surfing at La Conche, further up the coast. If you like oysters and a glass or two of a crisp white, you are in the best place in the world for them.

My sister has a mobile at Longeville and I've spent many great weeks in the area.

Enjoy!

18. buntsb

buntsb Member

I'm off to Black Forest,Switzerland,and Luxembourg ,1st July for 14 day

19. Darren

Darren Member

I did 5 days in France last month and i am doing 20 days in Spain in August

Ferry from Dublin to Holyhead, drive down to Plymouth stopping off in Bristol ovrnight. Ferry to Santandar and then 20 days exploring much of Spain with no real plans or accomodation booked. Going to play it by ear adventure style

20. JimmyO

JimmyO New Member

Made it to Karlovy Vary in CR from Belfast in May. Well worth the trek across Germany each way. Beer well sorted - not so sure about the rest of the food though.

: tour