No customization options are available.

Tire Inflators

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by ranette, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Richard Judd

Richard Judd New Member

Please check all these compressors work on the RS before you need to use it.
    I was on a ride at the weekend and three different compressors didn't work on a GS or RT but were OK on a Ducati.
    The CAN bus trips out the power socket when the compressor is under load. They seem to work if not connected but stop when trying to inflate the tyre.

2. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

For some reason BMW has designed their Can'tBust system to limit the electrical draw (which BMW calls "consumers") from the on-board port to five amps. But you are right, most electrical compressors will draw few amps when not running under a load, but start compressing air and the electrical draw goes up substantially the harder they have to work, no doubt rapidly "consuming" more than five amps, at which point the Can'tBust shuts down the fun. :( My Dynaplug compressor claims to work with the BMW plug because (they claim) it draws less than five amps. Maybe, maybe not, as I haven't tried it under stress. The smart thing to do is to hard-wire an electrical pig tail, which is usually supplied with most pumps, directly to the battery and bypass the BMW gate guard. ;)

ray2 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  3. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Also check the valve fit on the tyre. The BMW stem is shorter than most.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  4. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

This is what I do.

MrVvrroomm and Jim Evans like this.
  5. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Good point. The BMW valve doesn't seem to work very well when using one of my garage bicycle hand pumps. More air seems to go out than goes in. :(

6. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

My tyre pump has croc clips so can connect direct to the battery (or remote terminal on the RS.
    I have also wired in a 12V socket to give me power at the bars for my satnav & phone charger. I can use this for the Stop n Go pump as well, although my car pump blew the 10A fuse!
    As for tyre valves, the Stop and go uses a screw on connector. My car pump uses the clamp type found at petrol stations. Both work fine on my RS tyre valves. The valves sticking out sideways makes the job easy.
    I can attest that the RS goes around corners a lot better once you raise front pressure above 2 bar!

Aussie Import likes this.
  7. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I love the BMW valve arrangement, but some air lines need a deeper engagement. I am prepared to take the risk, but it may be useful to carry a valve extender if you are to use stange pumps.

8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

One of the first mods I did when I got the new bike home was to automatically direct-wire such a pigtail to the battery. The pigtail was removed from the old bike. So automatic was my action that I completely ignored the fact that my bike already had such a pigtail connected! It was only a year afterwards, when looking for items to remove from the battery terminals, that I "found" the pre-installed pigtail and happily removed mine. :confused:

So many threads about wiring such accessories to the CAN-BUS system amazes me. My natural inclination with such farkles is to bypass CAN-BUS and wire straight to the battery - low-tech and no issues.

ray2 and Richard230 like this.
  9. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Shorter and sturdier. I prefer its length. :)

10. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

I am also a bicycle hand pump / CO2 cartridge carrier.

ray2 likes this.
  11. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Yeah - for the weight-conscious, should note that there are high volume hand pumps with pressure gauge that also function as CO2 regulators.... Crank Brothers comes to mind.

12. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Agreed - until I started playing with the Clearwater lighting.... I mean, isn't the wonder wheel wonderful? (Tongue in cheek.)

13. LQB1

LQB1 New Member

Thinking about how to add a 12V power socket (cigarette lighter) at the front... Was curious where you mounted it. Perhaps a picture?

14. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Best Rest will have their cycle pump 30% off this week, Wednesday to Sunday.
    https://bestrestproducts.com/
    https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/c...-inflator/cyclepump-expedition-tire-inflator/
    Thanksgiving Sale
    Starts Wednesday morning - Ends Sunday evening
    30% OFF
    We're posting this in advance, letting you know that we'll be running a sale on almost EVERYTHING in the store. To get these deals you need to use a special coupon code. If you don't use the code, you won't get the discount. And that code is... drumroll...

"Thanksgiving 2017"

Easy-peasy, right? Enter the code when you place your online order. If you call to order, tell us you want the Thanksgiving sale price. If we're not in the store when you call then we can't give you the sale price. A phone message won't trigger the discount. We strongly recommend you place your order online. You'll get 30% off everything EXCEPT Metal Mule and MotoPockets. Limited to stock on hand, no rain checks.

ray2 likes this.
  15. Stef

Stef Active Member

16. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I have it as a loose lead. The socket has a waterproof cap which can be used to clip it to the bars or it can be hidden out of the way. The lead is long enough to reach inside my tankbag to power a phone charger. I like having something that can be removed without trace.

17. dkjkwood

dkjkwood Member

I run a SAE ended cord directly to my battery. I use this to power my tank bag. When I have a flat, I unplug the bag and plug in the Cycle Pump. With the cord wired direct to the battery, the CANBUS issues experienced on factory bike circuits are eliminated.

Another thing to consider when purchasing a compressor is the amount of time it takes to inflate the tire. It took me almost 30 minutes to inflate a rear tire with a cheap walmart inflator. My Cycle Pump only took a few minutes.