No customization options are available.

Time for the 1000 km service

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Reviews' started by Interceptor, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Interceptor

Interceptor New Member

Hi All,

It's only taken me two weekends to get ready for the 1000 km (600 miles) service.
    First weekend did some 550 km between Saturday and Sunday mornings.
    Then, last Saturday took off early in the morning and rode the RS for some 6 hours along the twisty roads around Madrid for a total of 400 km.

Lessons learned:
    - This bike is really fun
    - I drive theRS faster than I did my Honda Crossrunner (VFR800X) but the feeling is I still have room to go even faster (with the Crossrunner, the feeling was much closer to the limit)
    - The torque is incredible, the RS pushes hard on the exit of any turn no matter what gear you have engaged
    - If you arrive too fast to a turn and need to brake hard, the RS will forgive your error and allow to go through with no consequences
    - The bike is really comfortable: I was able to ride for nearly 6 hours (+ stops for coke) in the middle of a heat wave and still be able to feel my bottom, my knees, my shoulder, ...
    - Average gas consumption (including many 2nd and 3rd gear twisties): 5.4 litres every 100 km (43.5 MPG - US) (52.3 MPG - Imperial): one tank is good for some 330 km (bike warns when the range falls below 75 km).
    - Have been riding with the screen in the upper bolts. Gonna try to place it in the lower bolts and the upper position to see if the wind hitting the helmet is cleaner... (sometimes less is better)
    - I'm not 100% sure if I like the feeling of the Metzelers Z8. I used those in my Crossrunner and when changed to the Dunlop Roadsmart III the feeling was much better. The RS I test rode had Michelin's Pilot Road 4 and I recall a better feeling.
    - I have configured the user mode as: Throttle = Dynamic; ABS+Traction Control = Road. This is a good setting if you want quick response at the throttle but still need the help of the electronics at the rear wheel.

I'll keep on posting any impressions on this wonderful bike.
    Cheers!!

Mans Ulvestahl, boxerboy and slippery like this.
  2. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Great report on a great bike. Enjoy.:):)

3. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

I agree , For quite a while I was going in to a turn with to much throttle , I really had not learned the feel of the bike and how to lean into a turn with a good line . So I would have to hit the brakes really hard to compensate, and they never let me down , if it had weaker brakes I would have overshot a lot of turns. Now I go in slower and power through mid turn with more throttle .Im still not real fast , but better with more saddle time.
    I replaced the tires with frt pilot power 3 rear road 4 . I like them a lot .

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  4. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

good feedback going in for 600 mile service tomorrow

5. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

good feedback going in for 600 mile service tomorrow