No customization options are available.

This might shake the market up a bit

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Andy Griffiths, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

You caught me with my sarcastic tongue in my cheek. I was thinking that adding a old-school nose fairing and lime green paint with a white stripe to an existing new model doesn't exactly make much of a retro look - which I think was Kawasaki's intent.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  2. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

And us Limeys say that Yanks don't do irony :D

Richard230 and Graham Lewis like this.
  3. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

Perhaps a minor niggle, but the radiator will get debris from that minuscule fender that could potentially leave you with an air-cooled bike.

Chris

4. Richard230

Have you checked out Ducati fenders lately? o_O All of the manufacturers seem to be cutting back on front fenders. :( Probably to save money and weight. :rolleyes:

5. OKBMW

OKBMW Active Member Contributor

For those thinking the motor is anything like the SX, specifically the vibes, you are wrong. The H2 motor is THE smoothest I4 I have ever experienced. With helmet and ear plugs in, I could be sitting on my H2 and not tell it was running at idle. And it is just that smooth all he way to redline, incredible motor.
    As for the ergos, they are really close to the ergos of the late gen VFR 800's. I had two of those and when younger, they fit me well. These days, not so much. One reason why I'm eyeballing the Yamaha Tracer 900GT.

6. Richard230

I don't think anyone has ever accused Kawasaki of not knowing how to build any type of engine and making them run very well. (Unlike Yamaha, who can build a great engine but struggles with fueling them properly when using modern emission-happy injection systems.) :oops:

Peter Burridge likes this.
  7. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I had the original ZZR1100 and you're right Richard. Original but not in original colours :)

20151014-Rhine.jpg

Richard230 likes this.
  8. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I see the H2 as a "technology demonstrator" ..ie test in the market (yep limited high end >$25000) their new supercharger, engine management, cooling, packaging, etc. From this Kawasaki get a halo effect of a very high performance motorcycle...and the engineers get valuable real world feed back how these technologies work the consumer market.

Why this might be important?
    Following the lead of the automotive world, small displacement, turbo charged engines give adequate performance, the required advance emissions performance and better fuel economy.
    The next level of motorcycle emissions will be difficult to meet with acceptable on road performance. Super charging is a way to address this (vs Trubo which requires bulky plumbing, heat radiation, etc which is more difficult on a motorcycle).

What i envision is a 500cc supercharged motorcycle that has the power and better torque of a 1000 cc normally aspirated engined. This engine would give the emission and consumption of a 500cc engine under normal light loads but have the performance of a liter bike when pushed a bit.
    This engine Super charged engine has the potential of being smaller and lighter than the normally aspirated engine.
    Think of our RS with 500cc super charged boxer engine. The engine would be 5-6inches narrowed, (shorter jugs) likely weigh 20% or so less.
    I'd buy a supercharged 500cc RS...same or better performance as my bike today and likely to weight 40lbs less, get better milage and emit less!

Grumpy Goat, Bub and darrell like this.
  9. Richard230

Vtbob, I agree with your technical analysis, but what you are describing in your message above sounds like a certain 90-degree, 500cc, model that Honda came out with around 1980. I hope their next try at turbocharging sells better than that one did. ;)

10. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Yep Good point. I had the non turbo version of that bike at the time.

The key difference today is the looming emissions regulations. Good gas milage performance is not so important to m/c buyers but performance and good throttle response is very important. Cleaning up a large displacement engine and having it be easily drivable , good throttle response is increasing difficult, direct injection, variable valve timing can help but both are expensive...maybe the super charged (not turbo ) is more viable??

11. saddlebag

saddlebag Member

Been done before. Not generally well liked. Motorcycles lean. Linear power is a good thing for that. Tires are better nowadays, but you can have my share of that thing.
    If you're into drag racing, buy a turbo Busa with a stretched swingarm. For sport touring, that thing is utterly ridiculous.

12. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I don't think there is any appreciable cost or weight savings. I think they do it for aesthetics. I do like the look of the smaller fenders although they are clearly less effective as a fender. The RS has a nice sized front fender for my taste - not too big and not too small. :)

13. Grumpy Goat

The Tracer is indeed a great bike on paper ... pushes all my buttons. :)
    2019 Tracer 900.png

runnerhiker likes this.
  14. Richard230

I prefer the fenders of my Royal Enfield. If you are going to install a mud guard on a motorcycle, it might as well actually perform some sort of useful function. ;)

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    Jim Evans likes this.
  15. Grumpy Goat

Another way to get more performance (specific output) is to go with next gen transfer port fuel injection two stroke engines with which KTM appears to be leading the charge.
    1. Popular Mechanics article
    2. Cycle World
    Of course supercharging would be on the market first, but I think it would be cool to have clean 2-strokes back as an option.

boxter and Jim Evans like this.
  16. Richard230

I read an article recently that said that KTM's two-stroke motorcycle plans went up in smoke for some technical emission-regulations reason. (They just couldn't get it to work right. The article said that they gave up on the project. :()

17. boxter

boxter Active Member

We compress fuel to inject directly into the cylinders ( mostly diesel ) , why not compress air and inject into cylinders, then a two stroke engine would function better, the USA have used compressor based chargers for years so why not remove the inlet valve and just have a vented exhaust ?

Ged

18. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Er, didn't understand a word of that ...:)

19. boxter

boxter Active Member

Ah well :)

Just thinking on the clean 2 stroke idea.

Ged

20. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Dont get me wrong - I am in awe of people who understand this stuff. My best mate is an engineer and is so flippin' logical when working mechanical things out, I just see a mess of cogs and bitso_O.
    Good job we're all different