No customization options are available.

This might shake the market up a bit

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Andy Griffiths, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Should shake up the insurance market!

saddlebag and Richard230 like this.
  2. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Just like what happened when Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki came out with 500/650/750cc turbos during the late 1970's and early 1980's. Their owners were getting insurance bills that they didn't believe - especially as those bikes were no faster than the 1000cc models of the era.

Jim Evans likes this.
  3. terry847

terry847 Active Member

While most are bashing (kind of) this bike as not really being a sport tourer due to its not having electronic suspension and it's riding position, chain drive, etc. (it does have CC and quite a bit of other electronics) we have to remember a couple of things. One being that there are folks that use their S1000RR as a sport tourer and that bike was never intended for that in any way. Also, many of us in our younger day used our sport bikes as as sport tourer without most of what this bike offers. I have done quite a number of 600-700 mile days on a ZX-11 and ZX-12R (again in my younger days). Just sayin.

Hein, Lee, Grumpy Goat and 3 others like this.
  4. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Looks like a fun bike, but I'd go for the H2 version..,,
    While I have to reserve judgement till I could ride it, I don't expect a high strung, chain drive, multi being my cup ot tea for touring or evan long day trip on secondary twisty roads.
    There are other bikes like this, maybe not super charged...but similar performance.

5. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

It is the H2 version :)

Ged

6. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

The buzz from the engine gives you the pins and needles, put that with a hard grip and that was the cause,

These were my SX,'s P1000555_edit_1476549470309.jpg IMG_20160610_101038318_HDR_edit_1470602312348.jpg

littleade and PaulB_UK like this.
  7. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Active Member

Littleade, are you referring to riding your R1200RS giving you pins and needles after a while?
    I think that is possibly a symptom of having to lean forward and putting weight on the handlebars.
    Without wishing to sound either patronising or insulting, have you tried the low seat option, and maybe bar risers? Just trying to think of how to get you a bit more upright, as your spine and arms are clearly accustomed to the GS position :)

Cheers

Paul B

Edit: Oops. You said "test ride"... Not sure of a way round this, other than if you do buy it, you can get the low seat option, and then fit bar risers :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  8. littleade

littleade Member

sorry for the confusion Paul-I was referring to the Z1000SX. I had a test ride on the RS today and suffered the same problem, but the dealer also had one with some bar risers on and let me try that too. I didn't suffer on that one and he suggested the low seat might leave my knees too bent. I've just got to decide now between a new RS, a new GS or keep my current GS longer. FWIW I much preferred the RS over the SX, which I guess will come as no surprise to you all.

9. Richard230

10. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Well the first photo in that article confirms to me it's not really a tourer for any distance, my missus would not be comfortable tucked up like that for any distance and as such I wouldn't be comfortable taking her on holiday like that. Looks like the pillion would need to ride like that as sitting up in a more comfortable position would expose you to high airflow forces trying to push you off the back of the bike. Pillion comfort appears to be an afterthought/compromise. Long live the RS!

Bill the Cat and PaulB_UK like this.
  11. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Active Member

Sweet instrument cluster/display though

12. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping me straight. This looks different from what I saw at the Montreal M/C show back in 2015. A friend bought the H2 ,one of the first ones couple of years ago and brought to our Saturday morning rides for us all to drool over. Sounds great. He has taken it to Loring AFB for high speed runs and got certified for 186 (two way).
    I've not seen him on it in the last year plus...He rides his Monster and XR mostly. (lucky Guy has quite a stable of bikes)

boxter likes this.
  13. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I'd love a spin, Nurburgring would be fun :)

14. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Maybe I missed it but did you say you have a tendency to knee problems? If you did not say this and you don't have knee problems then don't listen to the salesman. There are people here taller / longer legged than you and me who ride long distances and have no knee issues. From a similarly sized person (me) as yourself, I ride 500 miles/day (my limit) and don't have knee issues and I do have knees that can "act up" (most likely because I am over 200#).

15. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Sorry, the Kawa doesn't shake up the market for me. I love my RS.

PaulB_UK and Peter Burridge like this.
  16. Peter Burridge

I tend to agree with that. The bikes are chalk and cheese.

Peter

PaulB_UK likes this.
  17. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Naturellement - on this forum - but generally the sports tourer market has been dying compared to adventure bikes, if this sells then an S1000RS might come along and a fireable engines sports tourer from Honda - just sayin'...

18. Peter Burridge

I owned a Honda sports tourer with shaft drive and 161bhp measured at its wheel. I’ll keep the RS thank you.

19. Richard230

runnerhiker and Peter Burridge like this.
  20. Peter Burridge

I don't see anything futuristic about the Kawasaki Richard. It's a conventional bike with conventional suspension etc. Even charging the intake is old hat and it's been shown to be unnecessary on motorcycles before. Yes it's impressive but to me it's conventionally impressive.

Peter

Bill the Cat and Grumpy Goat like this.