No customization options are available.

There go the U.S. motorcycle magazines

Discussion in 'Off Topic Section' started by Richard230, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

ray2 likes this.
  2. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Yeah. We lost Sport Rider under Bonnier management this past fall, after 24 years of fairly good editing and seemingly sufficient advertising.... (At least sufficient to continue an on-line presence - which Bonnier couldn't figure out how to do.)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  3. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

It was only partly the internet's fault. American print media has made some bad decisions of their own to exacerbate their decline...

Stick Rockwell likes this.
  4. vat

vat Active Member

We still have "Rider" which I look forward to every month

Richard230 likes this.
  5. JWMcDonald

JWMcDonald Active Member Contributor

I wrote off Motorcyclist with their transition to smaller font and artsy-fartsy layout this last year - no renewal for me...

6. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I wonder how this will impact on my Zino on line subscription to Cycle World.

7. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

You can get many "real" books as "ebooks" now. :D

Chris

8. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

Recently started a subscription to Motorcyclist. Have received several issues so far and am NOT impressed. I was in need of more reading material for the "throne" room. I have been a subscriber to Motorcycle Consumer News for a couple of decades- I suppose I am spoiled.

Frank

9. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

While I am no fan of their new layout I still prefer this magazine'content (and Cycle World) to most others. Their target demographic does not appear to be too juvenile. BMW Owners News is also a favourite, or course, while I have decided not to renew Roadrunner - too boring for me and too much cruiser content.

That said I am very disappointed to hear that Cycle World will only be had 4 times a year. Still, with bike models only being revised / released annually, it is often hard to come up with articles which have a lot of useful content; content that the readership is willing to pay for. With the fall of in readership comes the fall off in advertising potential and that leads to less output. Then there is competition from online content providers ... including YouTube. Hands up those who like to see "real-world reviews" ...

So if the number of issues falls off but those issues get good content and is worth a spot on a coffee table given its "... high-quality, artistic and experiential ..." qualities, then maybe that is a good thing.

10. James Bagley

I feel that here has been a general decline in the quality of motorcycle magazines since “Cycle” went under. It’s not as if the quality was EVER great, but those issues of Cycle when Cook Neilson and Gordon Jennings built and campaigned that Ducati SS had to be a high point for American Moto-journalism. I had hope when Dexter Ford of Motorcyclist did the article that sorta slammed the Snell
    Foundation, but was hugely disappointed when Editor Brian Catterson fired him for writing it. And let’s not forget that, apart from some coverage by Sport Rider, the major periodicals have ignored bikes like our magnificent BMW R12RS. All this, plus a tendency to “inbreed” content by not bringing in new writers very often has hurt the print industry nearly as much as the motorcycle industry.

I miss the old Norton ads, too...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  11. Richard230

I have the same thoughts and concerns as everyone else. Last year I dropped my subscription to Motorcyclist magazine, after being a constant subscriber since the early 1970's. Now it looks like Cycle World might go the same way. And I have been subscribing to CW since 1962. (I still have the February 1962 issue, featuring the H-D 250 Sprint, and every one of their Motorcycle Annuals ever published.) Right now I depend upon Rider magazine, Motorcycle Consumer News, the BMW MOA ON and the occasional Barns and Noble magazine rack issue that has some content that seems interesting.

I have no interest in reading a book or magazine on-line as I like to have a physical copy to pass on to future generations once I finish reading it. ;)

12. Richard230

And speaking of old posters and ads, see the attached photos, three of which are in my garage. :D I have lots more, but finding the photos I am looking for in my computer is becoming something of a struggle. :( They don't make them like this anymore.

Attached Files:

Lee likes this.
  13. James Bagley

And for those who think this was a sixties/seventies thing...

[​IMG]

14. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Too bad the bikes didn't keep up with the models. - The women changed; the bikes stayed the same.
    Fun place to visit. If I need a fix on old ads and posters, the local Moto Museum in St. Louis has the walls of the associated Triumph Grill covered with them.
    Free admission. https://www.themotomuseum.com/
    http://triumphgrill.com/

terry847 and Olgry1 like this.
  15. duerrs

duerrs Member

Same here...hate it! Still look forward to Rider every month.

16. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

James Bagley likes this.
  17. Richard230

I found a couple more photos of posters that are covering up the sheet rock in my garage. These are BSA posters from the late 1960's. :)

Attached Files:

Stick Rockwell likes this.
  18. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

The 441 Victor ? Wouldn't that single lung launch you in the air if you didn't get that compression stroke just right! Stick.

Aussie Import likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

You don't really want to know what a Chico Roll is, or more importantly, what went into it, but they did a series of great posters, the most famous of which, featured a Vincent.
    On a more serious note, I find the local bike magazines increasingly feature bike tests for bikes intended for the Australian market, done on a European circuit or on billiard table-smooth roads. These trips are funded by the manufacturers and whilst they make for great photos, the copy often appears to be written by the bike company. There are very few bike tests done under Australian conditions. It is the main reason I buy very few paper magazines these days.
    Chico.jpg

Richard230 likes this.
  20. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

It's sad. The magazines lost me years ago when they gave up any attempt at including technical content. Bike magazine in the UK is the only one that's worth buying: at least it has more than a dozen pages of actual articles. Unfortunately I only get over there once every couple of years to buy a copy!

ray2 and Richard230 like this.