No customization options are available.

Textiles or Leathers?

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by UncleBucket54, May 27, 2017.

1. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

This is a timely thread for me, I was just looking at a Rev'it Airways 2 mesh/textile jacket as an alternative to a leather jacket for a September cross USA ride. Seems a reasonable balance of protection - armor, back protection, zips to pants- and cool enough for south west US heat. Goes against the grain, so to speak, but I think leather is likely too hot for some of it.
    Bill

2. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

Leather is not the only answer....
    I ride year around in Seattle. Leather wouldn't cut it. Nice for track days, but lousy for commuting in rain.

Chris

Jim Evans likes this.
  3. PabloMS

PabloMS New Member

It depends on the ride...I still don't have my RS but when I get it I will ride: Leather alien pants, leather dainese stgermain boots, textile gore tex dainese continental jacket and NXR for the rides and the trips.

To do anything else I will wear Nike or Carmina shoes (depending the occasion) jeans, and my leather belstaff jacket.

I also wear my HITAIR Gillet no matter what.

I read the posts and it looks that everybody prefer the textiles...im a lot into leather!! Think it protects nice and looks even better...guess I worry too much for the looks...:cool:

4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I used to ride in leather all of the time - until I got trapped in a rain storm once and then found that it was impossible to get my New England fisherman's rubber rain suit over wet leathers and when leather gets wet it takes about a month for them to dry out and after that they just never seem to feel or fit the same again. o_O Now I prefer riding in water-proof textile clothing that I no longer have to condition or hang out to dry. ;) When they get dirty I can just toss them out and buy cheap new, made-in-Pakistan, China or Vietnam, motorcycle riding gear. :rolleyes:

Jim Evans and PabloMS like this.
  5. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

I agree , for a while I was stuck on buying
    new dainese ,or alpine *s stuff . I would look so cool and a lot of sport ,riders I ride with have them. That phase has passed and gosh,they are so costly.

6. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Speaking of leathers, my Kushitani leather riding suit (purchased for $300 off the back of a truck just after the LA Watts riots - when their warehouse was trashed) was getting pretty ripe after 30 years. I was wondering how to deodorize the perforated lining without damaging the lining or affecting the leather, which seems to have been shrinking over the years. :rolleyes: Then I discovered that Febreze, sprayed liberally into the interior of the suit completely solved the odor problem. So the $3 I paid for a spray bottle of Febreze at the Grocery Outlet, "Bargain Market" was sure a good investment, compared with sending the leathers out for a professional cleaning and hoping that they would be returned with the thin perforated lining and its interior pockets intact. :)

Dan smith likes this.
  7. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

I just used a sponge and some mild soap on the inside of mine ,over the Lining and then just rinse , with a garden hose ,inside the arms and legs . Hang dry . A lite sponge on outside , later some olive oil, Did not notice any shrinking. I will check out the Febreze , A good deodorizer :)

8. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

I had a low side slide going less than 30mph in a Joe Rocket Survivor suit (one piece) several years ago. The suit received zero damage! I still use it in winter. It's too warm for me to recommend use in the Texas summer but the rest of the year it works well.

Dan smith likes this.
  9. Chief Crazy Horse

Chief Crazy Horse New Member

Well it may just be me but i just dont feel right without a well fitted leather jacket with good back shoulder and elbow armour. been using a triumph perforated leather jacket now for near on eight years. i once came off at over 100k/h in king G shorts and work shirt after someone took the front out. anyone remember the cheech n chong skit with the nurse removing the bandages?
    Even in 45deg c + weather i will still usualy wear leather uppers. pants ive become fond of full kevlar lined jeans unless i go out with the udea of being a hooligan with no regard for law or.life in which case its leathers alround. mind you i spent a week riding around malaysia in a textile jacket. it would be horible in leather. There it torentialy rains every day at 4pm and the rest of the day was 28deg c and 98% humidity

James Bagley likes this.
  10. m1bjr

m1bjr Member

Weise UK leathers here, they have removable waterproof liners - small enough to put under a seat or in a fanny pack.
    Leather with flexible textile stretch panels, thermal and waterproof removable liners and decent armour.
    Looks good too.
    I found most textiles are fine if you are on the large build side, otherwise the armour doesn't stay where it should so is questionable in a a crash. Leather unless you really cannot cope with the heat.

PabloMS likes this.
  11. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

For three season riding (well, I do live in Canada) I'm really pleased with my Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket. When it's hot you have a mesh jacket, but it only takes a minute to put on the waterproof, windproof outer jacket. It's cheap and does the job, it's warm (or cool) and I haven't got wet yet.
    For all that, I would dearly like a set of two-piece leathers for good weather riding. If I hadn't spent all my money on the bike...