No customization options are available.

Test ride

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Forum Announcements' started by Tripleblack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Tripleblack

Tripleblack Member

I'm taking a test ride Sunday at bowlers Preston what should I look out for on a used bike

2. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

Corrosion on the main stand, I had my main stand changed under warranty. Apart from this minor issue my bike has been bulletproof. Obviously a full dealer service history and transferable warranty docs should be available. Also ask to see the Spec sheet when supplied new or check with original owner what optional kit was with the bike when sold, i.e. panniers, top box, Nav V etc dealers sometimes strip off extras to sell separately. The service book should have the dealer who first supplied the bike details. Dependant on the age there should be a transferable remaining warranty period if not ask your dealer to extend the warranty as part of the deal. If all above is good and the price is right you will love this bike !!!

ray2 and Peter Burridge like this.
  3. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

If its a BMW dealer, it should feel and look as good as new. Their warranty and used bikes is pretty comprehensive, so rest assured just because it has miles on it it should feel right.
    Just enjoy the ride, but I bet you buy, its fatal, on the pocket, to test ride this bike.

Igster09 and Jasper like this.
  4. Tripleblack

Tripleblack Member

Thanks guys I'm buying from a BMW main dealer bowkers of Preston have been good in the past with my k1600 gt engine replaced and gearbox and offered a good part x price I ride all year covering 20k a year what are they like for engine frame corrosion

5. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

Check the pannier frames, sometimes they let water in and that causes rust to drop on the swingarm.
    Do the usual check of nuts bolts and fittings, the finish is not as resistant as it was years ago and you may find some surface corrosion,
    check front of engine casing for crud.
    centre stand is likely to be rusty as usual.
    check radiator, it is vulnerable to stones unless a front fender extender has been fitted.
    Shock is exposed to crap unless a mudsling is fitted.
    cant think of anything else, but other guys will have suggestions.

6. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

when I did my test ride I had to look out for this huge grin on my face be careful it can become permanent

ray2, Igster09, Martien and 2 others like this.
  7. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Look out of for the speed restrictor on the grey ones :)
    (Bit of a long running joke on here, but still funny to me).
    There is a warranty claims and major breakdowns thread on here which you could scroll through. There does not seem to be a major issue. A very small number of people have had bikes with problems, but nothing you could call systemic. For example I've read about corrosion on rear drives (paint) and a 'thrumming noise' when running in 4th gear but the seem few and far between. As you said being from a franchise dealer gets good backup. As other posters say - you'll love it.

roger coleman likes this.
  8. Ranj

Ranj New Member

Hi, I bought a used 2015 R1200RS Sport SE last November, stunning bike, but please check for any corrosion in the following areas as all these luckily got fully replaced within the 2 manufacturers warranty period (not sure if they replace under the 2 year used warranty period:-
    - front engine housing
    - all of rear diff
    - both pannier frames
    - luggage rack

Dread to think what all that'd have cost, was really impressed with BM's no quibble approach, just took some photos and couple of weeks contacted me to book in for replacement. I just figured out if I left them I'd get hammered on the part-ex valuation.

Other the above it's been an absolute joy to own in every way.

9. boxter

boxter Active Member

Hi TB,
    What colour are you test riding? Year, mileage,model ?

Ged

10. Tripleblack

Tripleblack Member

2015 the fast one blue and white !

boxerboy, Igster09 and Andy Griffiths like this.
  11. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

The main stand will suffer corrosion as road debris thrown up from the rear tyre will abrade it. It's hardly a deal breaker :) A new stand will also corrode. Best to take the stand off and get it coated with something more durable. Most if not all bikes suffer this with modern water based paints.

12. Peter Burridge

Check all the controls work i.e. ESA and shock adjustment. Look for corrosion as stated. Also check rear wheel spool for corrosion. Use ACF50 and a good cleaner (SDOC100) and all should be good. Maybe see you at Devil's bridge :)

13. Tripleblack

Tripleblack Member

thanks guys i always act 50 my bikes through out the winter i fog them as i have a compressor and paint gun in garage and do it every week then give a good wash end of salt season i,m looking forward to he test ride ,m doing it tomorrow now

14. Tripleblack

Tripleblack Member

15. boxter

boxter Active Member

My old blue one is in the showroom, but it's an early 2016 if it is the one it has a new stand and rear frame on it.

Ged

16. Tripleblack

Tripleblack Member

what was the the reg do you remember

17. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

Mine was really bad after just 1200 miles, thinking about fitting a split plastic tube with grease inside on the cross spar to give it a bit more protection. I have a mudsling fitted so I'm assuming it must have been road crud thrown back from the front tyre that was hitting the centre stand main spar.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  18. Peter Burridge

I've had a mudsling from new but I think that the rear tyre still gets to it. I've a long extender on the front too and an Avant guard but the stand is well abraded, as on just about every modern bike I've ever owned.

Jasper likes this.
  19. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Joke? Not it is true, not a joke at all. The Granite Greys have a speed limiter so that they run the same as the Lupin Blues. :)

Maybe one day I will upload a video of how I disabled mine. Here is a hint - part of the technique involves the sticker I have on both flanks. :D

Igster09, Leon.P. and Andy Griffiths like this.
  20. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

This is a Moneyball issue ( google the film and watch the "Whats the Problem" clip). The real issue is not how to repaint/protect the centre stand but why a shaft drive sports tourer needs one at all. Remove it, wrap carefully , save weight improve ground clearance and solve the problem in one simple move. You're welcome.