No customization options are available.

Taller seat advice

Discussion in 'Australasian Riders' started by Turkish, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Turkish

Turkish New Member

Hi all

I've had my RS for 6 months now and the standard seat is not the best for my 6'2, 105kg frame. I've tried persevering but it’s time to look at other seat options.

The consensus seems to be the sport seat is best for riders my build but I can’t find any information in Australia on the sport seat aside from the national BMW motorrad website (which doesn’t list pricing / etc.).

Has anyone picked one up as an aftermarket part, and who did you go through?

Another option I am looking at is getting the standard seat custom made for me – has anyone gone down that path?

Any advice (aside from taking some concrete pills) is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. AusTourer

AusTourer Active Member

HI Turkish why did you only get the standard seat rather than the tall seat for the RS as if you brought new they would have orded it for you at no cost. have seen some pics with the seat customed and they look good but that will cost a few $ depending on what you want done to the seat in the way of padding ( gel foam or elec heating etc)

Turkish likes this.
  3. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

You could find a motor trimmer who rides bikes, like the one I know in Melbourne. They can put either a new foam or even gel/foam base and build the whole seat up for you. That should cost you around $150.00 In my case I had the seat lowered. Good luck:)

4. Turkish

Turkish New Member

Thanks for the replies. I saved a few thousand $ by buying a demo that was never really demo'd (only 48kms), so it came with the standard seat. It looks like custom is the way to go.

5. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

...I'm also 6'3" and 105 kg (for now) and sitting comfortably on the taller sport seat. I've been shocked at the ongoing comfort of this seat - having previously gone the custom route after I broke down the foam in the original with heat, rain, and body mass.

Hard to believe that a custom seat of similar quality in pan and foam would be less than ordering - even if it's an import from a foreign shop. I also saved money on the floor model and used some of it for the sport seat (figuring that keeping the stock seat would help at resale in - 10 y). I think it's worth a few emails or calls to find one.

Turkish likes this.
  6. Turkish

Turkish New Member

Thanks for the advice Ray, especially about a seat for resale. I'll look a bit further into both options.

7. TimMc

TimMc Member

I'm 6' / 77kg. Haggled with the dealer and bought a tall "sport" seat a month ago. Sooo much better for me, and I'm not feeling like I need to lower my bars as much now.

Turkish likes this.
  8. Turkish

Turkish New Member

Thanks Tim. I ended up buying one from the dealer and can't believe what a huge difference its made over the last few weeks. Definitely a good investment for a tall rider!

TimMc likes this.
  9. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Is this the tall option of the 3 standard seats or the tall sport seat sold at extra cost? I'm 6'-1" on a good day and weight ~200-lbs. The tallest standard seat works for me, but a bit more height would be better.

Turkish likes this.
  10. Turkish

Turkish New Member

It is the one listed as the sports seat (and costs extra). The heights listed by BMW didn't really make it appear that much taller but the shape of the seat is different to the standard seat and you really notice the difference once it is on the bike. This will give yo a bit more height and also change the angle you sit on the bike as it stops your hips rolling forwards so much.

Mr. 36654 likes this.