No customization options are available.

Tail Soft bag

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Antonio Santos, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Antonio Santos

Antonio Santos New Member

Any opinion about Motorrad soft bag (large-50 l)?

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site.
    I have the small 30 liter bag and I'm happy with it.
    One of our member's Darrell has the Large and he seems happy with it.

Antonio Santos likes this.
  3. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Antonio Santos likes this.
  4. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

I've used one on a 4 week trip and on a camping trip. Never filled it up on the 4 week trip as did not need that much stuff along when moteling but was nice as did not have to pack everything so tight. On the camping trip it held everything thing I needed to camp for several nights. The bag rode nicely on the tail rack and I never felt it was there even riding at higher speeds in western US or riding up to the top of Mt Evans over 14,000 ft. Bag 1.jpg Bag 2.jpg

Bub and Antonio Santos like this.
  5. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Have to admit, of the 2 Motorrad 50 liter bags, I like the looks and positioning of Darrell's "large soft bag" a little better than my blue "large roll 3," and in the states Darrell's choice is $30 (12%) less expensive.

That said, Darrell wisely builds in more time on his trips than I, and often gets to decide whether to ride in the rain or not. I don't always get to make those decisions, and I can tell you there have been days of soaking rain with completely dry contents of the blue 50 l bag. I also have the lockable 30 liter top case to add on, if I decide to "go big" like @Grumpy Goat and use both passenger seat and rack. (And, it matches the lupine blue a little better.)

upload_2018-1-2_19-9-2.jpeg upload_2018-1-2_19-9-18.jpeg

Bub and Antonio Santos like this.
  6. darrell

I've also used the BMW 30 L. soft tail bag along with some Aerostich water proof pouches on camping trips. Both ways have worked well for me just found it easier to pack the camping gear in the 50 L. bag. image.jpeg image.jpeg

7. Antonio Santos

Antonio Santos New Member

8. Bub

Bub Active Member

Darrell, when you get a chance would you mind measuring the interior width of your 50l softbag? Thanks.

9. darrell

The main center section that is water proof with the fixed liner is 20" long, 14" wide and 10" deep. On the ends of this section the non water proof pockets that expand out with a zipper measure 12" wide, 10" tall and 3" wide. On the back is large non water proof pocket 18" long, 8" tall and 1" deep. On the top center section lid is a pocket I carry a couple of wash cloths in, (one wet in a plastic bag just to wipe my face off when I stop). Lastly the 2 handles to carry the bag when not using the large strap are enclosed in a zippered pocket on each side where you can carry a couple bottles of water, some snacks, fruit, can of sardines, etc. The end pockets work great to carry your eating utinsels, bike cover, water bottles, items in plastic bags if worried about them getting wet (why ride in the rain so forget the plastic bags), If you traveled 2 up and you gave your passenger that 50 L. bag to pack all their stuff in they would have more along then you felt they would need for a 2 week trip.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Antonio Santos, ray2 and Bub like this.
  10. Bub

Bub Active Member

Great info, thanks Darrell!

11. darrell

Here are the best 2 pictures I have of the bag on the bike. In neither case are the end pouches opened to double the shown width. 5980418F-8347-4835-AF07-19FDF34B24F5.jpeg 70288E63-8522-4A1F-B92D-068F37858A98.jpeg

12. Sobpe

Sobpe Active Member

IMG_1387.JPG IMG_1371.JPG I have the small bag, and it Work fine

Bub and ray2 like this.
  13. Soch

Soch Member

ray2 likes this.
  14. Bub

Bub Active Member

I have the softbag 3 small as well and like it. It looks like my tent is just a bit too long to fit in the large softbag 3. I'll probably end up doing like you are Sobpe.

15. darrell

Here is something to think about. The tent is likely not too long as you can fold or stuff in a compression sack any way you want. The poles might be too long. The option here is to buy an extra section of each pole and the cut off the calculated number of inches on each one so they are all shorter (I've done this) or just place the poles just in front of the soft tail bag or lay length wise over the pannier or maybe they even fit in a pannier at an angle.

Bub and Richard230 like this.
  16. Bub

Bub Active Member

Good thoughts Darrell. There is one pole that's about 3" longer than the rest, it's the issue. In reviews of the tent I bought, a guy who moto camped with it said he found a 3 section pole of the same length, rather than use the OEM 2 section pole. That would cure it, but I'm weighing whether I really need another bag like the Softbag 3 large or not. I've got a lot of soft luggage now, just nothing that large. It does appeal to me to reduce the number of bags I have to strap down, and I do think that the BMW softbags are very good value for the money. You can't say that about a lot of their gear....hmm.

17. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Looking at the info on your tent shows the folded pole length is 18", but one pole is 22"
    The Bag that Ray uses may work. I have the older version and I think it's 24" long.
    If the new bag is like the older model it has a plastic tray in the bottom to keep it from sagging.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Bub likes this.
  18. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I measured my BMW Duffel and it's 24" long.

Bub likes this.
  19. darrell

The larger soft bag is $200 new if you get a 10% discount from a dealer or advertise for a used one and pay $150. You have a $20,000 bike so set it up the best way for you and move on. I love being able to strap one bag on the bike or when arriving at a motel take the one bag in the room and need nothing else other than what I'm wearing. If the larger bag works out for you sell the other bags and recoup the money you spent on the large one.

Bub likes this.
  20. Bub

Bub Active Member

One tent pole won't stop me from having the single bag I'd rather have. I'll sort that out and get the Softbag 3 large. I like having a variety of bags actually, just sort of thinking out loud and appreciate you guys input. My dealer generally gives me a 15% discount, but they're also available on Amazon and I have some credit there. The bags can also be strapped to the back of the Multistrada 950 I bought last month just as easily.

Lee likes this.