No customization options are available.

Suggestions please

Discussion in 'USA West Riders' started by oscarguitar, Jan 19, 2018.

1. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I’m travelling to San Francisco at the beginning of March, picking up a 4x4 and driving to Squaw Valley for a few days skiing before heading to Indian Wells for the Tennis before returning to LAX to fly home.
    We have been to Tahoe many times and Indian Wells twice so not completely new to the area, however we are planning to spend a couple of days traveling from Tahoe to Indian Wells (Did Indian Wells to Mamouth in a day, via LAX to pick my kids once, that was a long day!)
    What is the most interesting route from Tahoe to Indian Wells. What should we make a point of visiting and where are good places to stay? There is so much to see, so any suggestions would be very welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

ray2 likes this.
  2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Have fun in the USA. I like it. I especially like the food. Just remember, I am old, and fat (or some people say) and I think the 3 basic food groups are fat, sugar and salt.

shorn sheep likes this.
  3. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

We are never 'fat' just under-tall for our weight and for me I should be 6'8"!

4. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Hi Oscar. My choice for that trip would be 395 all the way. That will take you through a lot of national parks/forests such as Stanislaus, Yosemite and past Mono Lake. Stop in Lee Vining at the Whoa Nellie Deli.

Alternatively, I'd take the 15 out of SoCal and then up 95.

My fav place to stay along 395 is the West Walker hotel, for a hotel that has been frozen in time since the 1950s. Eat at the BBQ across the street. However, you would be almost to Tahoe, so not sure this is a good suggestion.

http://www.westwalkermotel.com/

Nomad5326 and ray2 like this.
  5. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Bill, thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check that route out.

6. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

From a standpoint of natural beauty and interesting driving, US-395 is the better choice. US-95 in Nevada is classic high desert. Vistas go forever, as there are few trees and the road only has a couple of curves per hundred miles. However you will pass the Nevada Test Site (home of underground US nuclear testing until the late eighties), the gunnery ranges for "Exercise Red Flag" (the USAF Tactical Aviation School), the Tonopah Test Range (Home of Area 51 and some huge herds of wild mustangs), and the wacky town of Tonopah (where you might expect to meet the ghost of Gabby Hayes). Of the two, the faster route is US-95. As you pass through Sparks, Nevada (just east of Reno), you may spot the famous brothel; the Mustang Ranch (I went once...but just bought an unoccupied t-shirt). Excepting Vegas and Reno, fine dining will be better in California. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable visit.

IMG_0329.JPG
    Gabby Hayes ^

Nomad5326 likes this.
  7. Soch

Soch Member

@oscarguitar As others have said US-395 is a good choice. If you do choose that route, and you have some time, I'd highly recommend a visit to Bodie, Ca. It's an old, amazingly preserved, ghost town nestled in the Cali high plains a few miles off US-395 on CA-270. Check it out: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Bill the Cat and Richard230 like this.