No customization options are available.

Stolen RS

Discussion in 'UK Riders' started by Jezzer-hozzer, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I have always thought that the best way to prevent a motorcycle from being stolen is to cover it up. Out of sight, out of mind. On the other hand, when my daughter was living in San Diego, first her car was stolen and found 6 months later with just the cheap AM/FM radio removed from the dash, and then her Suzuki GS500 had her cover stolen, but the bike was not touched. :confused: She actually saw the thieves steal the cover and ran after them, while yelling at them to bring it back. The guy in the back of the pickup bed, then threw the cover at her and drove off. o_O

Leon.P. and ray2 like this.
  2. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

I like her spirit.....and a good outcome.

Bravo likes this.
  3. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Ouch sorry to hear that Jezzer, best of luck getting back on the road soon. Out of curiosity what sort of chain was it and how was it defeated? I've long read that many chains/padlocks are not resistant to bolt croppers but an angle grinder attack is significantly more worrying if that's what occurred because it's not silent and not exactly subtle.

EDIT - I see from some sources that angle grinder attacks are the usual MO, with 3 or 4 gang members protecting the attacker from interference by good samaritans. :( :(

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  4. Brian63

Brian63 Active Member

Hi Jez sorry to hear about you bike
    Had a talk at the local bike club from this firm last night
    Www.secureautotrack.co.uk
    £160 fitted typically annual cost £20 sim data cost
    Stable gate thing but as you are in London
    Brian

5. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

Jezzer.. I am sorry to hear about your loss.... these thieving scum need to be taught a very long lesson... in crime = Pain...
    (theirs)

Leon.P. likes this.
  6. m1bjr

m1bjr Member

There are quite a lot of small tracker devices on the market now. And as Brian details, many very effective.
    We started seeing them on pushbikes - were theft is a much bigger issue even than M/Cs.
    Some nice tiny units with a 1yr battery life, that can fit inside the seat tube of a carbon race bike and still give decent signal.
    Configured for movement when activated, and a Giffgaff PAYG sim - a very cheap solution.

EDIT: just had a google - some more ideas here
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/product-reviews/product-picks/top-four-motorcycle-gps-trackers/

ray2 likes this.
  7. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

Jezzer- Deepest commiserations. When I hear tales such as this, my liberalism goes out of the window and I would just like to see them caught and strung up somewhere.
    Only kidding if anyone in authority is reading this!

Leon.P. likes this.
  8. Hugh

Hugh Member

Jezzer, Sorry about your news, but now you have got me worried as I quite often park my bike in London. I had a S1000RR stolen from an underground car park a few years ago and none of my security measures helped. What sort of chain were you using as some are clearly better than others?

9. Al D

Al D Active Member

Jezzer, sorry mate, bunch of thieving bastards need kneecapping :mad:

Leon.P., Bravo and boxerboy like this.
  10. boxerboy

Plainly but fairly put Al !

Leon.P. likes this.
  11. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Does keyless ignition hinder these sorts of ride away thefts in anyway? How are they starting the bikes? Screwdriver in the ignition barrel and forced?

12. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

The immobiliser will still stop it starting though, more likely picking it up and chucking it in the back of a van.

13. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

I saw some video on Visordown or some such place that these are gangs of about 4 people, turn up on nicked bikes with false or no plates, attack any chain with an angle grinder while others in gang stop anyone from interfering with the theft. They all ride off with one on the nicked bike.

14. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

They don't tend to start them, just break the steering lock and any chains etc, jump on the bike and their mate then "pushes" (via foot peg) from their scooter......or they just throw it in the back of a van. If being broken for spares, they don't have to be too carefull.

15. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

I see - they must be most vulnerable during that phase, they can't make a fast getaway being pushed

16. Jezzer-hozzer

Jezzer-hozzer New Member

Picked up the new RS on Saturday, identical to the stolen one only this one fitted with a tracker. It's new from BMW apparently, Datatool, called TrakKing Adventure. We'll see how that goes. Bennetts and Aviva sorted it all out in about 3 weeks, respect.

Bravo, Richard230 and Bunter like this.
  17. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

And nice weather to get you back on the road. Just thinking back to previous posts on insurance and discussion on the 'cheapest' premium, its actually feedback like this that is most important in choosing an insurer.

Leon.P. likes this.
  18. boxerboy

I agree - feedback on the good the bad and the ugly help to assess which insurer is worth the money charged.

19. m1bjr

m1bjr Member

20. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Jeez you guys in the UK have it crazy with this stuff. And I believe Australia isn't much better?

It's the one thing nobody steals in South Africa. :0