No customization options are available.

Stolen RS

Discussion in 'UK Riders' started by Jezzer-hozzer, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Jezzer-hozzer

Jezzer-hozzer New Member

Had my Light grey with red frame RS stolen from a parking bay in Old street, east London in broad daylight, alarmed chained to a post with the steering lock on. Couldn't have done much more. Police not interested, just gave me a crime ref number and closed the case. Bennetts insurance have been great and are hoping to get me a replacement in 10 days time, so hopefully back on the road again soon. Watch out out there.

10puzzler likes this.
  2. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Meanwhile the thief has a nice bike that they can part out on eBay. Pretty sad. :mad:

Leon.P. likes this.
  3. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Sorry to hear that a thieving bunch of scumbags has had your bike away,it'll most likely be on its way abroad now.
    Hope you get back on the road soon.

Leon.P. likes this.
  4. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I didn't think the 1200 RS would be on their list. Not sure what else you could have done or what more you can do on your replacement.:mad::mad::(:(

5. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Thats why me and my two German friends are around to look after mine. Their names are Heckler und Koch. And my wife has an Italian bodyguard called Señor Beretta. Only thing that would have made your situation better is actually catching them in the act and you had just got back from baseball practice.
    Seriously though - sorry for your loss as it always costs the victim money.

stuart2820 and Leon.P. like this.
  6. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Member

Bastards! Since cordless 18volt angle grinders were invented nothing is safe anymore. Good luck with the new one

Leon.P. likes this.
  7. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Sad news Jedder, there really is little more you can do to secure a bike. Pity the police give-up so easily, I'm sure there will be some CCTV coverage in that area. Anyway moving on, at least Bennetts appear to be moving fast on a replacement, enjoy that when it arrives.

10puzzler and Leon.P. like this.
  8. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

How about Smith & Wesson? They haven't retired have they?

Leon.P. likes this.
  9. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Jezzer.

10. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

Jeezzz, untill recently there were nill reports on stolen RS's out here... Either the stupid thieves have mistaken the RS for a GS or, even worse, times have changed and the Thieves Guilde is out there for our beloved RS-es...

Leon.P. likes this.
  11. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

No deterrent now, as you say police almost class this as petty crime, which they don't have time for. They know the bike will be on it's way out of the country. Problem is that criminal gangs know that there is little chance of them getting caught, easy pickings for these scum bags and it puts the insurance costs up for all bikers !!!!

10puzzler, Leon.P. and boxerboy like this.
  12. 10puzzler

10puzzler Member

Sorry to hear that Jezzer I think the only solution in London is a tracker which costs us more money.There was an article on the web I'll try to find it about someone with tracker that had their bike stolen 3 times and got it back each time.The police seem to take it more serious when contacted by tracking company.Sad really.:(:(:(:(

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Leon.P. likes this.
  13. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I had to buy a home appliance a couple of weeks ago. My salesman turned out to be a rider; he told me of his loss. His bike (really modest old XV750) was stolen. He got some personal property back, but the bike was totalled. Its rider at the time was killed. It may be wrong, but I think that was karma. I suppose if I knew more about the fellow who died, I would not be as unconcerned, but I don't and I am.

Al D and Leon.P. like this.
  14. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

That's shit news Jezzer.

I'm afraid London is a no go area for me on a bike (which is a pity as I used to enjoy riding there....in a perverse sort of way). Unfortunately, this type of crime is spreading to other major cities.

Leon.P. likes this.
  15. Number9Cloud

Number9Cloud New Member

Sorry to hear the bad news Jezzer. As a fellow Londoner, it is alarming to hear these stories. When I bought my bike a few months ago, I spent some cash on a tracker. It is not going to stop them but gives just that little bit more comfort.

Leon.P. likes this.
  16. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

Sorry to hear that Jezzer. About time the police adjusted their attitude to bike crime in London, just sounds so apathetic.

Leon.P. likes this.
  17. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Many bikes are broken for parts - most of our parts are shared across models. Some bikes are stolen to order to put a written off bike back on the road - just swap the identity over to "legitimise" the ringer. Let's hope it was the latter and not the former as this would make any R1200 not just the GS a target as a parts donor.

Leon.P. likes this.
  18. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Oh man, that SUCKS! Sorry to hear the news, mate.
    It's a bit of a surprise to hear, as BMWs don't seem to be all that popular to thieves, apart maybe from the sports bikes.

Leon.P. likes this.
  19. Jezzer-hozzer

Jezzer-hozzer New Member

thanks for all your replies. A tracker for me next time for sure. And probably have to pay £6 a day to park in an underground carpark from now on, shame.

20. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member

...and I have my share of similarly named friends...., but what are you going to do if they are insistent? Shoot them in the back? I don't think I've ever heard a Canadian talk like that - I mean outside of Saskatchewan and the Yukon....

I have a relatively inexpensive Scorpio Ride (reviewed a couple times elsewhere on the forum) with microwave perimeter sensor, tilt sensor, shock sensor. and GPS with geofence capabilities that report to my cell phone if something is amiss. The phone app has an emergency button that gives local authorities access to the GPS. In the city, I usually leave the siren off, figuring I don't need anyone realizing they're being monitored.

Unless you guys know of others, this is the first RS I've heard of that has been stolen. Statistically, I think we are still OK as a group. (I'm betting Jeroen is right - they mistook your bike for a GS - probably the best argument for a sportier wind screen.)

Jezzer - the pisser is you already had the 2017 model with all the upgrades. The only thing new this year is you can get it in brown.... Try to look on the bright side. New tires, and the rest of us will be a little jealous as you keep up with the latest electronics and software.