No customization options are available.

Sticking throttle

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Reviews' started by Michael, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

I've just returned from a 6,ooo km ride across Australia, much of it done on cruise control as there were long stretches of straight, flat and, frankly, boring roads. That's another story and I'll post some photos and a description soon.
    Over the last two days of the ride I noticed my throttle starting to stick open - not that I couldn't close it to change gears but in some cases I had to wind it forward. I applied some spray where I could and that seemed to fix it for a while but it re-occured soon after. Before I take it to the local shop or 220 kms to the nearest BMW dealer, has anyone had the same issue and, if so, any suggestions?
    BTW, the bike was loaded with luggage and a pillion and ran perfectly for the whole fortnight through rain, high winds, high and low temperature, dust and whatever else we experienced. I'm highly impressed

Leon.P. likes this.
  2. boxter

boxter Active Member

I notified my dealer that my throttle twist steps and binds when the sun's heat is on it ( not there is much sun now, but in the summer ) , it was the same with my 2016 model, its not a lot but it's annoying and makes opening throttle steppy, they are going to check it on second service.
    I tried lube but it made little difference, I think it may be in wide part where the sensor is.
    Ged

3. Michael

Thanks, that's my dealers advice also i.e. a sensor rather than a sticking part. Sounds like a trip to the dealer needed.

4. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I was about to ask for confirmation if this is a case of the physical throttle sticking or rather the electronic throttle sticking as those are two very different things and I don't think any kind of spray or lube will help an electronic issue.

5. boxter

boxter Active Member

It's the sliding of the twist grip, it has a plastic sleeve underneath, it's either the grip and the sleeve tightening ( which I think none mineral lube would have cured) or the control housing to the left, this sends the signal to TPS, there will be plastic bits in there,.
    I think it's just an expansion heat issue that BMW didn't leave enough space for.
    Cold its smooth as silk.

Ged

6. Michael

Thanks for that - it certainly seems to be worse when hot and the reverse when cold.