No customization options are available.

Speeding in the UK

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Forum Announcements' started by John G, Apr 20, 2017.

1. boxter

boxter Active Member

The speeding bike i cannot verify but the confiscation I can, if the vehicle is modified with the intent to break the law.

Try hollowing your door panel out and put a bottle of whisky in it and return to the UK, with it not declared and your stopped. Last one I saw was a new Mercedes being taken, he was carrying over an allowance, but the bottled buried in the door he will regret for a long time.

Ged

2. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

And get 400 Bensons while you're at it please.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  3. boxter

boxter Active Member

There

There not good for you you know ! Best smoke woodbines :)

Ged

Bravo likes this.
  4. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

And we have done it ourselves, and with great eagerness. According to the US "police" shows (which may be a fair bit of Sci-Fi afaik) you can be traced in real time by your mobile phone; whether it is "on" or "off". The phone would not only locate you via GPS, but it may also allow the observer to "hear" you, or even "see" you or your surroundings.

From what I have seen of some forensic police evidence, they certainly can place phones in the same location as another phone using phone tower signals.

If carrying a radio device was made a law after WWII and during the period of McCarthy for all citizens, young and old that would allow the government to track you in real time, and listen to your spoken conversations, and read your "mail" there would have been an uproar. Now, we are like frogs put into a pot, and slowly cooked as the temperature rises - never knowing what is happening to us until it is too late. Or at least that is one view of it.

There is another view...

There was a famous murder here in Melbourne of an ABC journalist, Jill Meagher. On 22 September 2012 she left a party of her friends at an inner urban hotel in order to walk the short distance home. She never made it. In the dead of night she was accosted by a man discovered as being Adrian Ernest Bayley, who forced her into an alley, raped and murdered her. He then used a car to transport her body well north of Melbourne in order to bury it in bushland.

Bayley was identified by a number of means, all of them Orwellian.

First, this POS was well known to the Police and many have argued that he should not have been free at the time anyhow. Be that as it may, he followed and stalked Jill down a main street, with many shops, one of which had security cameras that provided Police with video that helped identify Bailey.

They were also able to track the Jill Meagher's mobile phone by the cell tower locations.

They were able to confirm the vehicle used by cameras on the major arterial roads that Bailey used to transport the body and then return to Melbourne.

Jill Meagher was a totally innocent, law abiding, young woman with a good job and a stable home life. She was highly regarded by her work colleagues and it seems by the journalism industry generally. Her life was senselessly ended by a "man" who, after being convicted of her murder, was subsequently convicted of 3 prior rapes.

The suburb where it happened, Brunswick, has a local council of Luddites and extreme left wing conspiracy theorists. Had it not been for the incidental CCTV, Bayley may not have been caught. So the Victorian (state) government granted something like $2,000,000 to the council to place cameras to cover the main street and provide some deterrence or protection to its citizens. The Council would not accept the funds; and when they were backed into a corner, they accepted the funds, then did nothing to implement the program. This is the same council that has declared its area to be a "nuclear free zone" (presumably the sun don't shine there) and which widened its footpaths so people could not park outside the shops to do their business there "for the good of the planet".

So like everything else in life, one has to find a workable balance...

Richard230 likes this.
  5. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Wire tap.jpg

Richard230 and GordonH like this.
  6. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Yes - I attended court (as a jury member around two years ago) on a case (not as extreme as the above) that used mobile phone data to determine whereabouts of defendants at particular times etc - it gives location to an "area", rather than as specific and exact set of co-ordinates (at least that is all the police have access to, GCHQ might have a little more......).

I think the key point is that Orwell got it right and wrong at the same time (big brother is watching us......but big brother is not a facsist/stalinist state....its a rag tag collection of nanny governments and "digital" corporations, at least in the west), and it only needs a less benign force than our Western democracies to use the current infrastructure for darker purposes.

I think a real test is how easy it would be to live "off grid" now, compared to say 30 years ago.....much harder. I also suspect that the availability (and sheer amount) of data that profiles our lives has risen exponentially (as has the number of people employed to make sense of it).

7. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I agree. But I have always been fascinated how the U.S. press complains about the government keeping track of its citizens, while not saying all that much about Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc. doing the same thing - except I bet they know a lot more about us than do the NSA and other spy agencies. :eek: As near as I can tell from the internet ads that I receive, Google and Amazon always seems to know where I am, what I am doing and what I want to buy - even when I know I don't want that POS that they are trying to sell. :rolleyes:

GordonH, To and Fro and darrell like this.
  8. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I commented on this just today, when Google tried to give me a timetable for the bus stop I had just walked past. Ok, Google, I get that you're smart. Stop showing off!

ray2 likes this.
  9. Ross

Ross Member

We could be Luddite's

10. DABs

DABs Active Member

There is another Orwellian angle that tickled me when I appreciated it. That bulk raw UK telecomms data (not merely metadata) was routinely siphoned off for surveillance by the Security Services for decades was exposed by Snowden and acknowledged in the draft Investigative Powers Bill a couple of years ago. I hadn't appreciated the law that had permitted this; often it is not what IS said that needs scrutiny, but what is NOT said:
    "The Secretary of State may, after consultation with a person to whom this section applies, give to that person such directions of a general character as appear to the Secretary of State to be necessary in the interests of national security or relations with the government of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom."
    That's it. Nothing further was needed, no warrants and no oversight. Now it is in the open, oversight has been established by the Interception of Communications Commissioner.
    And when was this law enacted? 1984. You couldn't make it up :)

GordonH likes this.
  11. Mattblack000

Mattblack000 Member