No customization options are available.

Speeding in the UK

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Forum Announcements' started by John G, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Don't know about the rest of the commonwealth but in Canada and the USA we have the right to challenge the ticket, any traffic ticket, in court. I am starting to advise people to not pay the fine and take it to court. Guarantee every one will get off as it will take years to hear your case with court backlogs. I encourage them to put more cameras up because there is less law on the roads then. And here the intersections have to be posted otherwise it is entrapment.
    You Brits are lucky. If it were me I would just invent and make a bullshit number plate as they are easy with the black letters on white background. Richard 230 was right on with the coatings. There is also some that will look ok to a cop behind you but at any sort of angle they are distorted.

shorn sheep likes this.
  2. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

With most police vehicles in the UK now equipped with ANPR technology (Automatic Number Plate Recognition), they immediately pick up whether you have one of these (illegal) reflective coatings on your licence plate, and you will inevitably be pulled over and heavily penalised.

boxter likes this.
  3. boxter

boxter Active Member

Unfortunately the camera systems are unbeatable with a number plate. Image can be altered to define numbers etc

Also if the plate has been tampered with to avoid procecution the police can confiscate the vehicle based on the fact the vehicle was modified to break the law.

If you go to court to protest your case here, your chances of winning are slim and all punishment is doubled at least, from 3 points to 6 on license and double money.

Justice is not free, and the attitude of the police if you exceed the speed limit you are guilty full stop.

False plate will again ensure your bike will be confiscated and you may even be looked after for a couple of years in her majesty's radicalising holiday camps, where you can learn to make fireworks ( so I'm told )

Ged

ray2, RS i Mc, Bravo and 1 other person like this.
  4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Tough crowd! :eek: Fortunately "in the land of the free" we can get away with a lot, including beating up anyone that says something that doesn't agree with you, and the cops just look the other way. Unless it makes money or gets them a pat on the back by the press, they really don't want to get involved as all it does is to generate more paperwork for them and maybe they will get sued and have to take off some days to spend in court. Where is the fun in that? Besides, it seems like a lot of people who get arrested never spend a day in court as the DA has bigger fish to fry, or if they do go to court the judge lets them off with just a warning to be nicer next time, or at least be smart enough to not get caught and be sure to keep that black hood over your face next time. :rolleyes:

boxter likes this.
  5. Brian63

Brian63 Active Member

Booo think I will go buy a 1970's two stroke with expansion pipe just to be totally antisocial it wouldn't go or stop very fast just loads of noise and two stroke blue smoke it would make me feel so much better
    Brian

6. RS i Mc

RS i Mc Member

Maybe after only a month and 700 miles on my first bike I will be considered too green to judge; but after about 44 years driving the 4 wheeled tin cans and cross wind creators in many different countries,I am wondering why everyone is so hellbent on trying to wreck your licence and or your rap sheet? In the transition from 4 to 2 wheels I was strongly told I needed to very quickly develop enhanced observation skills; why would people with these skills and or the option to utilise cruise control be so concerned? Just a thought :)

7. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Well said that man,these people who break the speed limits are utter hooligans, nay downright criminals. Those of us who stick to the speed limits have nothing to worry about.:)

boxter, Scorch and ray2 like this.
  8. boxter

boxter Active Member

Speeding is now a very big lottery, where the government might win and you may lose.

Need a push bike, oh forgot, a cyclist was fined in the UK for exceeding the 20 mph speed limit, caught on a hand held device, where's me zimmer frame ?

Ged

Igster09 likes this.
  9. RS i Mc

RS i Mc Member

You and me bro :)

Bravo likes this.
  10. Brian63

Brian63 Active Member

I ride because
    I like the acceleration, the speed, the skill of getting through a series of bends on what I think is the optimum line just being able to let it flow speed isn't the be all But I do love to make progress as the advanced traing has taught me. I have been lucky and have met some great people on my travels through Europe and the uk thats part of it too.
    Brian

11. Richard230

How about the motorcyclists who ride unlicensed dirt bikes, sportbikes and off-road ATVs and shut down freeways and the San Francisco Bay Bridge during the daytime so that they can perform stunts for 30 minutes and then ride off without the cops doing anything about it? (They say it is too dangerous to try to follow these goons.) So far only one rider has been caught and the CHP had to use a helicopter and a bunch of squad cars to track him down. The other 30 jerks got away and are sure to do it again. This seems to happen about every month or two. :mad: The situation in California is that only the law-abiding citizens seem to be the ones that suffer the (financial) consequences for law infractions. And the scofflaws of the world know it. :(

12. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Im wondering if you are a Daily Mail reader there Ged. Speeding legislation comes under the Road traffic Act and applies to mechanically propelled (motor) vehicles last time I looked so a cyclist cannot be prosecuted for speeding per se - dangerous cycling yes.. so I think this is an urban myth /DailyMial headline.

Also, not sure where this power exists. Vehicles can be confiscated if uninsured , or not taxed or prohibited form driving if in a dangerous condition but not taken from the owner for breaking the law.

13. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Wait - am I the only one that has noticed this truck driver's [Bravo's] capability for for argument, sarcastic humor, and pithy political comment all in one sentence? Are these talents so common in the Isles they should go unnoticed and unrewarded? I mean, don't you guys have elections coming up?

Scorch and Brian63 like this.
  14. Bravo

Ray as always you're too kind.
    If I was in charge it'd be great belive me:)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Graham Lewis likes this.
  15. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Stop TRUMPeting your own skills ...

ray2, RS i Mc, Brian63 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bravo

Yes Richard that's very true but you Yankee chappies chose to break away from your Motherland and what you describe in your post is a specific ptoblem to The United States, at the risk of repeating myself had you stayed in The Empire things would've been different. ... Belive me.... It would've been great:)

17. Richard230

Hey, it wasn't my idea. ;) If we were still in the UK would we have been part of the EU, too? Would I finally have figured out how much a stone weighs and what to do with a Newton (besides eat one - a Fig Newton)? And what about Easter bonnets, plods and beaks? It is all very confusing. At least we likely wouldn't be burdened with a Trump. :rolleyes:

Scorch, Bravo and ray2 like this.
  18. Richard230

Yikes! It is worse than we thought. They raised the fines again: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39686894

I sure hope this big idea doesn't spread to North America. I thought things were going to change with Brexit? :rolleyes:

Bravo likes this.
  19. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

Seems like George Orwell is being proved more prescient every day. :(

20. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Too right!

George Orwell must indeed be turning in his grave. I suspect that he would be totally shocked that this level of surveillance has been created in a benign and democratic society and not under the heel of a dictators jackboot.

The opportunities for tracking, recording and controlling pretty well everything that a citizen does in 2017 would be far far beyond his wildest nightmare..........and it is set to get a whole lot worse as more digital devices and solutions move in to health, fitness, work, travel, personal mobility, food choice, lifestyles etc etc...........just wait until we're all wondering around with nanobot cleaners in our arteries as life expectancy extends and body functions (and thoughts?) become controlled ....for the good of our health.....and autonomous vehicles keep us safe..........and digital transactions mark our entire journey through life.

...I reckon we have another 20-30 years before we sleep walk into the real 1984 and past the point of no return.

Anyway, that's my cheery thought for the day!

Richard230 likes this.