No customization options are available.

Speeding in the UK

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Forum Announcements' started by John G, Apr 20, 2017.

1. John G

John G New Member

[​IMG]

2. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

is that real or a joke?

3. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

..unfortunately, its real......

4. GordonH

...speeding fines are a drug that the authorities are hooked on.......and the stuff that causes real harm (driving with out due care and attention, driving whilst drugged/drunk, middle lane hoggers, tail gaters etc etc) goes unpunished as there are very few traffic cops patrolling our roads (due to cut backs and the ever increasing use of "safety" cameras)......the chances of getting caught are now much lower than they were...

Igster09 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  5. GordonH

...and I simply don't understand the inequity of an income based fine for a fixed offence - why should I pay any more/less than anyone else for breaching a 30mph limit?

mousejockey40 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  6. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

So guess if I were to ever have the opportunity to ride over there I should skip it because I would lose my mind if I was clocked 1-2 mph over the limit and get a ticket. I try my best to ride at or close to the speed limit and the only time I got ticketed (twice in my life, and both on 4 wheels) was when I accidentally went over by 12 and 14 mph in 65 and 50 mph zones, resp. According to the above I would have had to pay a fine of 50% of my weekly income which works out to about 5 times what I would have had to pay over here.

And as GordonH said, this varies for people with different income levels. The guy who ears a decent salary but overspeeds accidentally pays more than the young punk who works minimum wage and who is deliberately speeding. Stupid.

mousejockey40 likes this.
  7. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

Seems very draconian but I understand the attraction of literally being able to "print money" for the local or national authorities. But a ticket for ONE mile over a speed limit? You would do that as you crest the hill and start down the other side before you could even react to the change.

Hmmm...if I am visiting the UK and my driver's license is from another country, how would that fine be collected?

Also, how, exactly do such speed cameras work? IOW, do they take a pic as you approach or as you go past or both? Seems like one of these would be in order: :)

I realize that a UK plate would be a bit more difficult...

Mattblack000 and Jim Evans like this.
  8. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

How do they determine what your "weekly income" is? What if you are on the Government dole, getting food stamps, getting subsidized housing and all of your money is tied up in stock market investments to keep it off the books - like my brother? How about if you are homeless and don't have an income? What do you pay then? Do you get to speed all you want? How about if your income is all cash, "under-the-table", like is true for a lot of young or "undocumented" people here in the U.S.? I sure hope our "progressive" legislators don't find out about this big idea. :eek: If that should happen only working people would have to pay speeding fines. :rolleyes:

9. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Also, in the U.S., there are companies that sell special clear paints and clear reflective covers that blind speed cameras by reflecting their flash back at them to obscure the license plate number from the camera. I know a fellow who has a paper tag on his motorcycle that says "license applied for". He has had this note on his license plate for many years and has yet to be stopped. Another popular method of defeating speed cameras is to just steal someone else's license plate and drive around with that on your vehicle. A very popular activity in California. :rolleyes: Then there are the people who ride unlicensed dirt bikes on public streets and freeways and just run from the cops when they are noticed. Also, quite popular. As usual, only the "law abiding" citizens get screwed by the "Man". ;)

10. GordonH

There is "usually" a working tolerance of 10% + 2mph over before they start ticketing (ie 30 limit tolerance would be 35 mph, 79mph in a 70 limit etc).

Richard - yes to all of that - no idea!

Just be thankful we don't have the same structure as Finland (Nokia boss - $103k?) or Switzerland ($1m?) where there have been some truly eye watering fines!

11. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

It seems this forum accepts the myth of "road safety" being achieved by fierce speeding laws.

In truth, speed is but 1 issue which has a contributing role in road injuries. There are many other issues. However speeding fines are far more important to government revenue, and are easy to impose.

Riders / drivers are judged by machines to a level of accuracy beyond real humans in a real world. Moreover there is virtually no legal defence to machine-made charges, and disproportionate penalties are hailed as being needed to ensure safety by sanctimonious fools.

In the USA some fools in some states have unleashed a road safety hell by making more intoxicants legal.

Better to have spaced out drivers? That should work.

I can see it as plain as day.

12. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

I believe that tolerance no longer exists when the new fines come in. Hard to keep to within 1 mph of the limit, without spending too much time watching to speedo and not enough looking out for the spaced out, phone toting, iPad reading, make up applying nutters.

Willy, RS i Mc and Aussie Import like this.
  13. daesimps

daesimps Member

I presume they were aiming for the impact of the fine to be the same regardless of income.

With a fixed amount a guy who earns £70k won't be bothered by a £100 fine, whereas if you're on minimum wage the impact on you would be greater.

I guess they're saying that the impact on the £70k guy of losing a week of wages is now the same as the guy who earns minimum wage.

Igster09 and Bravo like this.
  14. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Us RS owners will be fine as long as we take notice of our speedos,they run fast.
    Mine reads 145mph while the GPS reads 137mph.

Igster09, TimMc, ray2 and 1 other person like this.
  15. GordonH

I thought that penalty points were designed to do this......at least they were when speeding fines and points were meant to re-educate, rather than raise revenue.

Whole scheme is a classic example of clever people making simple things complicated and perpetuating a bloated civil service......the more complex the rules, the more civil servants needed to administer......that then create more and more complex rules.......

Bub, Richard230 and Jim Evans like this.
  16. shorn sheep

It would make sense to invest some of that income in radar/laser detection. The technology is available to beat these parasites

17. boxter

boxter Active Member

I must admit, on a wide 4 lane dual carriageway that was 70 mph that is now 30 mph, my concentration at 70 was total, now at 30 mph its a perfect opportunity to eat my sandwich, drink my drink, shuffle my paperwork, make calls ( on my handfree of course), dusting down my dash panel.

Yes I'm more dangerous the slower the speed, but where the risk of accident goes up 80% the risk of killing someone is maybe 20% in comparison still probably a win situation, maybe!!

Most accidents are caused by people doing way over the speed limit, but they all say they are doing the legal limit and that leads to a reduction in speed limit.

I know it's very controversial :)

Ged

18. GordonH

Ged, I suspect that driver error and inattention cause most - innappropriate speed is a factor in about 30%.

......now finish that bloody sandwich off before you hit something! :)

RS i Mc likes this.
  19. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Nope. Such equipment is highly illegal here. I haven't checked but I think the penalty is fine, demerit points and confiscation of the detector.

20. shorn sheep

well that is tough luck if you happen to be in Australia! ;) However they are not illegal in the UK where this thread originated or in NZ where I have one in all my vehicles. Personally even if they were illegal I would still use them, just mount the thing where it can't be easily spotted. Speeding is 'illegal' as well but who cares, we don't ride bikes to go slow do we?

Igster09 likes this.