No customization options are available.

Somebody had to start a thread here ...

Discussion in 'USA Midwest Riders' started by jhurdle, Sep 4, 2015.

1. jhurdle

jhurdle New Member

Hello from Nebraska. Picked up my RS in June (went in for warranty work on my 2008 R1200R and one thing led to another :)). I know it was the first one sold by the Kansas City BMW dealer. Also was the first one registered in Nebraska. Surely there are some others out here in the land of the V twin?

2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Brilliant, that '0 threads' was really sticking out in this section

3. BrentinVA

BrentinVA Member

Congrats on the bike. I bought the first one my dealer in Virginia got two days after it arrived. He claims I registered the first one in Virginia. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine so far!

4. jlduck

jlduck Well-Known Member

Congrats on the bike and I hope you can find some twisty roads nearby. Next time that you're in KC, go visit the Nelson Atkins art museum. (No, it's not named after Willie Nelson and Chet Atkins). One of my friends is a curator of 20th Century art there.

5. jhurdle

jhurdle New Member

Thanks. Have never been to the Nelson Atkins art museum but will keep it in mind as an option for the future. Actually, planning another trip to KC next weekend. Nothing as uplifting as a museum visit, we are going to attend an open house at the KC Harley Davidson factory (yea, I know...). Actually, some of the two lane roads that follow the rivers can be fairly twisty, low traffic and generally entertaining. Will pick up some these along the Missouri river on the upcoming KC trip.

6. lj516

lj516 Active Member

Hey there Jhurdle, good on you to get a post up in here as I was clearly too lazy to do so haha. I'm on the east side of South Dakota and am willing to bet I have the only RS in SD since I bought the only RS delivered to the ONLY BMW dealer in SD located in Sturgis in the Black Hills! I'm pretty sure most of the residents of my great state aren't even aware that there is another motorcycle company other than HD let alone that BMW makes bikes... What area of NE are you from? I occasionally make the 6.5hr trip down to Hastings, NE for track days on my SV650, and have family in Gothenburg NE.

7. jhurdle

jhurdle New Member

ij516,
    I live in Lincoln. Have taken a day ride up to Yankton. Not really into Sturgis but have always wanted to bike through the Black Hills in the "off season". Yea, HD rules in this part of the country. When I go for a group ride its nearly always with Harleys. Good people, questionable bike judgement. They do, however, have a dealer/repair shop in about every city, two or three in the larger ones. On the other hand, I am 50 miles from the nearest BMW dealer, 200 miles from the nearest one I will do business with. Life would certainly be simpler if I didn't like this bike so much.

8. lj516

lj516 Active Member

Do you not like the dealer in Omaha? I have yet to visit that dealer but it's there or the one in Sturgis. I refuse to do the "Rally" thing. That being said the black hills are incredible. Each year I do at least one or usually two trips out there to ride, camp and hike. It's only 6.5 hrs away from me since I'm very close to interstate I-90 in Brookings. I consider it a "mini" Colorado with very similar climate and environment with great roads, cute little towns, and not half as busy as the real Colorado! haha

9. jhurdle

jhurdle New Member

Probably haven't given Omaha dealer a fair chance. I had heard second hand from several people that they had a good mechanic but dealer wasn't so great to work with so I probably approached them with a little bias. When I called them earlier this year about warranty repair on my R1200R (aft hub and fuel strip) they gave me a lot of grief about the fuel strip and whether it was covered or not (even though I had a letter from BMW saying it was). Called KC dealer and they said no problem to both. Also looked in database while I was on the phone and found a couple other warranty issues that would be covered. Night and day difference between the phone calls. So took it to KC for the work (and drove home with a R1200RS). Maybe Omaha staff was having a bad day? Agree about Black Hills. Been there with my family in a car. Need get back on a bike.

10. lj516

lj516 Active Member

When I was shopping around for the best place to buy an RS I did call the omaha dealer and was not overly impressed with their willingness to get me on a bike. I wanted a test ride and the guy who I talked to said something to the effect of, " Well ya you could take it on a test ride, but not for very long or far since it's a new bike..." At the very beginning of the conversation I made it very apparent about how serious I was about buying one, so I was a bit put off by how reluctant he was to let me have a proper ride on the damn thing. In the end I just ended up buying the one in Sturgis without even having ridden a BMW before let alone the RS haha. I've had good luck with the guys in Sturgis and just gives me another reason to ride out to the hills! I'm actually scheduled for the 21st of this month to have the computer update applied so you should meet me out there to do some riding for a few days!

11. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

I think it is rediculous how reluctant most motorcycle dealers are to allow test rides of bikes. However, BMW dealers in the Washington DC metro area are very gracious about it.
    I think if the Yamaha dealers had been willing to send me out on a test drive in the FJ09 (they had two of them sitting on the showroom floor), then I would have bought one of those before the R1200RS came out.
    Those morons, I rode up on my BMW R1200RT on two or three separate days wearing full sets of riding gear and told them that I was interested in buying the FJ09, I even called them ahead of time to ask if they had one in stock.
    I could understand it if they were selling them left and right. But that isn't the case, they have them sitting in the showroom gathering dust.
    I guess that maybe they are waiting for impulse buyers?

Anyway, every time I go by a BMW dealer, even to look at new gloves or helmets, they want to hand me the keys to bikes to go for a ride.
    The only thing the usually say is, "It only has a quarter tank of gas, and we close at 6, so please don't run out of gas or make us wait for you."

-Ben.

Richard230 likes this.
  12. 86Magna

86Magna Member

Looking to put one on order this week at Engles in Kansas City. They have been great always asking me if I would like to take a test ride when I'm in for service.

13. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

This is the midwest. The correct response should be, "Yup."

14. mreeter

mreeter Active Member

Hello from Columbia, MO. Picked up my RS at Gateway BMW in St. Louis, great folks to work with! I've also been to Engle Motors in KC several times, it's a short two hour ride to either dealer from here.

I traded at Gateway as they had a Demo '16 RS with 500 miles on the clock...at a rather nice discount.

To the OP, I also traded in a '08 R12R for the RS, love the fairing and the adjustable shield, among other features!

15. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Between rain showers, rode my bicycle over to Gateway (St. Louis) today for a hot dog.... Collective IQ and experience (wait, I didn't say old) puts them pretty high up the Helpful Resource Scale.
    I noted - they now have another '16 RS demo bike with a sticker on it to take the place of yours....

mreeter likes this.
  16. mreeter

mreeter Active Member

There was another Demo RS in the Granite Grey color that was marked SOLD when I bought mine, it had a small rear top-case mounted on it.

I was disappointed when I saw that bike had been sold as it's the one I intentionally went to look at, it was a "Press Release" or a Factory Demo model, also with a nice discount in price.

The bike I purchased was the Dealer Demo bike that had less miles, more warranty time left and still had a nice discount in price, I'm a tight ass!

They also had a Lupin Blue/Grey RS marked as a Demo model, along with about every other model that BMW offers. I was very pleased with the "Sales Experience", everything was pretty painless, with the exception of writing a check;)

ray2 likes this.
  17. Baldy

Baldy New Member

Hello from Madison, WI! Just bought my black/ grey RS from Mischler's in Beaver Dam. Superb bike.

18. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Another Midwest rider here. Creston Iowa, 150 miles east of you on Hwy 34.
    My wife and I also bought our R1200RSs from Engles, and we also bought the fastest color :)
    This is the second set we have bought from Engles.

19. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I think we have only been to the Omaha shop two times and both times the place was empty except us and the staff.
    One time I called over to see about getting work done on our bikes and asked to speak with the Tech.
    I was told the Tech had not come in that day because there was no work scheduled :eek:
    I took this as a bad sign.

20. mreeter

mreeter Active Member

Several folks from Iowa/Nebraska do business with Engle Motors, now I see why.