No customization options are available.

Skully AR-1 HUD helmet review

Discussion in 'Helmets, Leathers, Boots and Gloves' started by Richard230, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

2. Chet

Chet Active Member

Hmmm... go to the site and it lists the price there as $1499.00

https://www.skully.com/store

I read the review and it doesn't exactly sound like an in depth critique. More of an advert, I find the comments after more interesting.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  3. Richard230

I wonder how you can determine the price for a product while you are still designing it and only have a prototype? Regarding the review, has anyone actually seen a review of a new product or motorcycle model that didn't seem like a advertisement, written so as to not offend the manufacturer? Not me. :rolleyes:

4. Chet

Chet Active Member

If you look at the site they are actually shipping the product although with constrained inventory.

5. woolf

woolf Active Member

I have had the opportunity to see and wear BMW's HUD helmet and am looking forward to it's
    availability , don't know any pricing or it's availability ? but the helmet was
    comfortable .

6. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

I am not sure if this connects to the BMW system. I would only be interested if I could get the bike system (such as alarms) and the Nav system, speed, rpm etc. Don't see a need for a rear view camera and I cannot drive and listen to music on a car or a bike. But agree a great product to make it first to the market.

7. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

I keep one thinking of a single problem... what if you have a pillion?

Aussie Import likes this.
  8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

They'd better be pretty ... ;)

Scorch, wannabebeamer, Alex K and 2 others like this.
  9. Richard230

10. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Nothing to see here folks. Just another corporate ripoff.

11. Richard230

Skully Helmets has finally managed to hit the “big time”. That would be in the business section of the San Francisco Bay Area's most widely distributed newspaper, the Mercury News. In a long article, written by Marisa Kendall of the Bay Area News Group, published today, titled: “Startup Accused of Misusing Cash” and subtitled: “Lawsuit filed by ex-assistant says founders expensed vacations, sports cars, strip club visit before company ran out of money.”

In particular, the article says that the Skully helmet company is accused of spending its investors' funds on “vacations, sports cars, their San Francisco rents, weekly apartment cleanings, meals out and a strip club”. The former Skully employee says that “the company was a 'sham' and the founders, brothers Marcus and Mitchell Weller, expensed their lavish lifestyles. When the money ran out last week, the company shut down.”, according to the article. The complaint says that “The Wellers used Skully corporate accounts as their personal piggy banks and demanded that plaintiff conceal the true nature of the expenses by entering them in Skully's books to make it appear that the expenses were legitimate business expenses, which in fact they were clearly not.” The article says that the founders purchased two Dodge Vipers, an Audi R8, limo rides in Florida and a $2,000 charge at a strip club. When the employee, Isabelle Faithhauer, pointed out the error of their ways, she was fired and not compensated for much of her work.

2,000 crowd-funding backers dumped $2.4 million into the company, along with many hopeful customers who pre-ordered the helmets with a $1,400 deposit. Skully also raised $11 million last year from various investors, including Intel Capital and Walden Riverwood Ventures. The article says that the customers who ordered the helmets are unlikely to receive their deposits back and no one was promised a refund on the Indiegogo crowd-funding system. Skully's last CEO was Martin Fichter, who promised that Skully would deliver 400 helmets to customers by the end of July, with the remaining pre-orders shipping throughout the summer. “Less than a month later, Skully called it quits, announced the company plans to file for bankruptcy, and apologized to customers, employees and partners.”

12. Christopher Stahl

Christopher Stahl Member

13. Richard230

I just hope they can get some quality jail time. Too bad the U.S. doesn't have chain gangs any more. :( I think these guys could use a little hard work in the sun. ;)

14. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

And that's why I don't trust any of these "pre-funding" campaigns.

Show me the product...where I can touch it and then I'll pay money for it.

Until then...well not.

15. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Wonder if it was development of the helmet or development of the display? Why could they not just make an HUD that retrofits in place of the pinlock anti-fog device. That way it would fit any helmet and to hell with the rear camera - I have two already mounted on the handlebars. Best development of devices are get something to market then upgrade it - EG Apple iPhone!

16. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I have read Sheriff Joe Aparo in Arizona has them.

Richard230 likes this.
  17. Richard230

18. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

As much as I'm into new tech and usually an early adopter. Count me out on something this new that will protect my brain if the worst happens. I'll wait a few years before abandoning the proven lids from Schuberth, Shoei or Arai etc. I also wonder if more distractions while riding is a good thing?

19. Richard230

I like that clip-on HUD display device that was announced last month in the press. :) That seems like a much better system than building an entire helmet around an HUD like Skully was trying to do. Helmets are expensive enough without needing to buy a new helmet every 5 years and also paying for all of the electronics built into the lid. o_O Just detaching a HUD display and reattaching it to your new helmet makes a lot more financial sense to me. ;) After all, we are not U.S. fighter pilots and can not afford to pay for a $400,000 helmet (the cost of the helmet used in the new F-35 jet), like the government taxpayers and the Treasury's money print shop do. :rolleyes:

Aussie Import likes this.
  20. ranette

ranette Active Member

Scorch likes this.