No customization options are available.

Short Riders Solution to Bar Backs and Comfort Requirements

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Ron Miller, May 30, 2016.

1. Husni

Husni New Member

Anyway thank you Ron for the idea which initially I thought thats it! It cannot be done but you proved otherwise:)

2. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

Exciting option! But I have a few more questions.
    I've noticed that the grip area has holes pre drilled. So the GS bars have those holes in the correct places for the RS? I would assume I could get the R1200R caps instead of having to modify the Wunderlich risers right?

3. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

Steve, see the post by Husni where he has installed the R1200GS WC Helibars on his R1200RS. It is my understanding that the pre-drilled holes in the Helibars are correct for slipping on the RS handlebar grips. Husni can confirm. I have not actually installed the bars using the "R" top bar clamps but the Heli GS bars are 1 1/4" (the same diameter as the "R") so the stock R1200R top handlebar clamps should fit without modification. See attachment R1200R bars,you will need #'s 4 & 5f and since bar ends/screws #'s 2 & 3 are the same part number for either the GS or R you can order bar ends for the "R" to complete the Helibars.

Attached Files:

4. Husni

Husni New Member

The pre drilled hole on the Helibars (GS) are spot on from bar end with RS handle grip and other controls (like a plug and play) except bar end weight and and thread cannot fit RS original bar end weight and screws. I have to buy GS bar end and the end screws.
    Really not sure about R1200R caps can be used to hold the said helibar. But overall it gives me very nice ergonomics for long ride. Ron Miller is right that it does not prevent rider to ride aggrassively in any way.

5. shootersteve77

Thanks for the feedback Husni. Looks like a very nice option. Was there any trick or difficulty in removing the grips and switches etc?

6. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

No problems with grips, etc. I purchased the R1200RS shop manual CD and the instructions were clear and the remove/replace went just fine. I did have to purchase 2 sets of Torq tools, 1 a screwdriver set from 5 to 10 and a socket set from 15 to 45 to fit the various BMW Torq

7. shootersteve77

Thanks Ron, I think it's a project I'd like to do soon. I sat on a friends GS recently and was envious of the comfortable bars! To think I can have a similar setup on my RS is exciting.

8. Husni

Husni New Member

Steve, you may review what are the cons that I wrote earlier before u proceed otherwise enjoy the extra miles the new setup can offer. And 1 more thing, windscreen has to be readjusted!

9. Pedro Vaz

Pedro Vaz New Member

@Husni
    I saw your solution with the GS Helibars and it seemed pretty nice to me. I asked the Helibars team here in Germany if they would advise the usage of that kit on a different bike, like the RS and they said they were not advising to do that because that was tested in the GS and they had a propper kit for the RS. Anyway I also had the same thoughs because I want to buy an RS too but want a similar riding position to the RT I have currently.
    Well, I got two questions for you if you don't mind. First you said that you use the wunderlich bar risers (installed upside down) and that they have to be shaved a few mm to properly grip helibars. Where do exactly did you shave them, in the round side? All in all, how is the riding with these? Did you have any issues?
    Many thanks!!

10. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

Pedro, if you use the Helibars for the R1200GS you do not have to use or modify the handlebar clamps because the Helibars for the GS are 1 1/4" diameter. You must purchase a set of handlebar clamps for the R1200R (which are 1 1/4") or use the Wunderlich bar risers upside down. I had to shim the diameter and then mill the flat faces on my setup because I used the Helibars for a Honda ST1100 which had 7/8" diameter handle bars. The Helibars for the R1200GS are already drilled for the stock R1200RS handlebar grips and are a bolt on solution. You must however reroute the clutch brake hydraulic lines to behind the handlebars as mentioned in the article. The Helibar R1200RS handlebar kit uses the stock flat R1200RS bars are very different than are the Helibars for the R1200GS which uses 1 1/4" diameter round bars (as does the R1200R). Now with over 18,000 miles I can report this conversion completely solved my sore and stretched shoulders when riding long distance and they do not change the handling when pushing it in the twisties!

11. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

Pedro, please go back through earlier posts on this article and you will see the post by Husni with pictures and comments on his successful installation of the Helibar R1200GS on his R1200RS.

12. Pedro Vaz

Pedro Vaz New Member

Hi Ron,
    Really appreciated. To be honnest I read these posts a couple of months ago, from beggining to the end several times...then I decided to join the forum because I think I will decide also to buy the RS...I am between an RS or an R but the RS is just marvelous. So now I understand the reason for the Wunderlich risers upside down. Many thanks for your help out here... In a couple of days I will order mine and post some pics :).

13. berni

berni New Member

Hi Ron, I have a 2016 R1200RS . I would like to fit these helibars ( HRAT05101 ) There is that many conversations back & forth with people confusing them with helibar risers & such. Could you put me straight as at 500 dollars i can't afford to get it wrong.
    So :- Can i buy the r1200gs Helibars with 6 way adjustment & fit them on my R1200RS with only rerouting cables & brake & clutch lines. With new gs bar ends. Also will the sat nav bolt on the same. Many thanks Berni.

14. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

Berni, please go to previous posts by Husni, his post of July 15 reports his success with converting to the R1200GS Adjustable Heli Bars. There are a couple of post prior the this post that question and answer making this conversion. Additionally, there are yet another couple of post after Husni's post that are associated with this conversion. If, after reading about the several posts, you have any unanswered questions please post to either myself or Husni and I believe we can offer our experience with this conversion. Ron

15. Pedro Vaz

Pedro Vaz New Member

Hi Folks, sems to me that there is another less expensive option, but also less adjustable one.
    The S1000XR Horizon handlebars from Helibars have the same diameter than the the GS ones and cost about 200€/$/£ less. You may want to check those.

https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars®-Horizon™-handlebar-for-BMW-S1000XR-2015%2b/649.html

I am expecting to test the RS next week because BMW called me yesterday saying that one would be available for test drive in the next few days...

Cheers

16. Ron Miller

Ron Miller Member

I went to the Helbars website to compare the R1200GS to the S1000XR. Looking at the dimensions it appears that the R1200GS have about 2" more up and back position than do the S1000XR. I would guess that if one is vertically challenged (5'6" - 5'8") maybe the R1200GS bars would be more comfortable, not so short the the S1000XR bars look like a viable option to me?

17. berni

berni New Member

Has anybody got any pictures of an RS with helibars fitted ?

18. berni

berni New Member

found them now