No customization options are available.

She let me down yesterday.

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by dkjkwood, Sep 29, 2017.

1. GaryS

GaryS Member

3rd time's the charm???

After being reassuring nothing was wrong after exhaustive and fruitless testing and handing me back the bike despite my skepticism, the bike abandoned me yet again monday, and back to the shop it went.

3 days later they finally came to the conclusion that they overlooked a software update that dropped the mAmp draw from 109 to 20 and that should fix the problem. Nevermind that they claimed the last time that the software was checked and up to date, among the other problems I relayed from this board.

At least they couldn't find anything else drawing down the battery.

Will cross my fingers and pray this takes care of it.

Unfortunately ... got to ride my ST3 all week and DAMN I still love that bike. But now that the rain is coming, im glad ill have my RS back.

Hope this fixes it cause I was getting down on the bike and ready to wash my hands and move on despite everything good about it.

Also have a Aeroflow "sail" that just arrived. Will grit my teeth as I put it on and probably love the weather protection as we hit the 30s. Will keep yall utd on how it goes - touring medium.

2. GaryS

GaryS Member

Aeroflow for winter - yes!

Been riding with the Aeroflow medium touring for the last week with lows in the mid 30s and highs in the mid 60s.
    Ill try to compare to the Puig touring, but so far I think its (AF) slightly better in all regards, and for the record I had the puig on the higher screws for less turbulence) - I think

FYI: 5'9" and shrinking, 30" inseam, MV bar risers. C3 Pro. ear plugs most days
    As most of you know, the aeroflow can only be placed in one screw configuration for added stability, which given the size and weight, Id totally agree with.

Low setting:
    Puig looks better (small, tinted, still sporty), but aeroflow is growing on me and is not too big, especially being clear.
    Puig: fairly quiet with slight tucked, but upright normal position the airflow hits hard mid visor to make for some not so pleasant moderate volume air noise. Visor up was good, but above 55, it slams shut. On a smoother helmet (I have a 3/4 with a minuscule vent and an arai) it was quieter on top. But I don't like prolonged riding with the Puig in this setting.

AF: Paige from AF thought the flare would add 3" to the airflow, so I was optimistic getting a shield that was 1/2" taller above the top screw than the Puig that the net 3.5" jump in airflow would be perfect. Not so much. I get more broken-up air ... quieter, noticeably less annoying noise than the puig, not naked bike-like and not RT quiet. But its somewhat better. I haven't riden for >30 min in this setting, but do find it more tolerable than the Puig. Still, I've been putting it on high setting for longer runs.

High setting:
    Puig: Very quiet. But kinda dumn looking having this narrow dark shield sitting straight up in front of you.
    AF: Very quiet as well, I think here the Puig does slightly better, but they are both very very good. You do get a little turbulence oddly from the sides that I never noticed in the Puig at high speeds. Its less silly looking owing to the fact that its not a dark shield and I can see over the top without any problem.

The weather factor: to be fair I already think the RS does a great job of weather protection but if you really really need protection from the cold and wet, the AF is better. Both shields protect the body well. The Puig will allow some air / rain to the outer half of your upper arm and the wider AF protects this admirably as expected as well as slightly less flow on the hands.

Honestly after a day with the AF in the high position, it was very reminiscent of the RT I sold, which was a beast in the winter / spring (I almost kept it just as a <50' bike, but the wife gave me THAT look). Almost just as quiet and almost as turbulent free and very well protected. The Puig is a step down in noise (low position) and protection. But I was shocked how much the AF made me think of RT cocoon. Sorta thought I was riding it again, except that my current bike was lighter, better seating position, more fun, and had that gorgeous instrument layout (ok, I've gone to far), but you get the picture.

That said, this is exactly why I wont keep the aeroflow on once we hit lows that are consistently >40-45 or highs in the 70s. Its too much protection. The RT killed me in the 70s+ and this screen would too.

But as we are dipping to mid 30s in the morning and it aint getting, I'm actually keeping the Aeroflow on.

bottom line: Low setting and getting some flow, the AF does a better job (re: noise) and doesnt look too bad doing it. In the hi position its very close, but if you absolutely want better cold / rain protection, the Aeroflow is better.

Niether will be a make a good summer touring screen. The puig is too noisy and the Aeroflow blocks to much of that cooling air. I may try a aeroflow sport so see if like the PB it takes a touch off the chest, but maybe clearer air at the helm.

Aeroflow oddities: very slight distortion, but not enough to distract, obscure or make puke. Also has a hint of purple/blue tint in certain sunlight that bugs me. Ive tried a few cleaners that are deemed "safe" for this but am still hoping there may be a fix. I'm starting to doubt it. The edges have that color too and it may just be the angle and that plastic.

Hope this helps as there are sooo many shield discussions.

1 week in and I'm inclined to let this one stay on the bike till April-May.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  3. GaryS

GaryS Member

have used the AF now for 3 weeks.

Usually keep it in the low setting. There's noise, but its broken up, not harsh and its acceptable. No turbulence.
    If flipped up - quiet on the helm, but consistent turbulence from the side is a little annoying.
    weather protection - cant get much more than this. Rode it in rain and was bone dry on the top. Takes a bit [wind] off the hands, but not much.

still a bluish tint in soft light (dawn and dusk). Distortion is minimal and not a factor.
    will keep for winter and early spring.