No customization options are available.

She let me down yesterday.

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by dkjkwood, Sep 29, 2017.

1. dkjkwood

dkjkwood Member

I'm very disappointed, I've had my 2017 RS for about 3 months now. It has run flawlessly for ~8000 miles. Road it to work yesterday, no problem. Got on it last night and tried to start her up got nothing. All kinds of warning icons popped up in the top left corner had to Uber home.

Took the trailer to work along with a set of jumper cables, took forever to get it started. Ran 5 minutes and then the icons came back up on the dash. Shut it off, it would not start again.

Dropped her off at the dealer this evening.

2. boxter

boxter Active Member

I think the secret may be in all the ' all kinds of warning lights ' :)

Hope they sort it.

Ged

Bravo likes this.
  3. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Sounds like a dead battery to me. (AGM sudden-death syndrome. It has happened to me twice in the past and resulted in the same symptoms on other BMW motorcycles.)

Vtbob and Brimstone Mahone like this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Bad ground or bad battery ... ? I hope that they do get to the bottom of this and share the information with you, and you share on the forum. It would to be good to know what the cause is. Good thing it appears to be rare.

boxerboy likes this.
  5. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Low voltage confuses sensors and makes the computers do funny things. A new batter would be my first recommendation too.

To and Fro likes this.
  6. dkjkwood

dkjkwood Member

That would be my guess as well. The dealer is closed today, hopefully, I'll hear something tomorrow.

7. dkjkwood

dkjkwood Member

Survey Says...

Dead battery

8. mreeter

mreeter Active Member

Such a new machine for the battery to be bad already, must be defective? Do you use a Tender when the bikes parked at home?

9. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

If parked for more than a week, I connect the tender.

10. mreeter

mreeter Active Member

I've been left walking before also, after that I plug it in every time I get home. If I'm not riding and The RS is home, it's plugged in.

Not saying that has to be protocol, just is for me.

Luper likes this.
  11. dkjkwood

dkjkwood Member

My bike is my main transportation, it rarely sits for more than a day without being ridden. This was just a case of a faulty battery from the factory. Things happen, but I expect better from a < 3 month old bike.

12. mreeter

mreeter Active Member

Yes they do, hopefully the replacement will treat you better. Good luck!

13. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

While the bad battery is solved with a new battery, there is some indication else where on this blog of another problem which leads to a dead battery. I recommend checking that blog thread out and letting your dealer know.
    My RS is 2 1/2 years old...original battery, no tender use during riding season....only when the bike is put up for the winter.

Hope replacing a defective battery solves you problem. Just be aware there is another BMW defect which leads to dead batteries.

Grumpy Goat and mreeter like this.
  14. dkjkwood

dkjkwood Member

Give me a few more months a miles and we will see. Keep your fingers crossed.

15. GaryS

GaryS Member

I've lost a little faith. Shared my story on the forum. On battery #2. Left me stranded x2 now. Battery testing showed no fault. Shop supposedly ran thru the bike along with the ideas shared on this forum and could find nothing wrong. Now i plug it in daily, but am I really willing to take on a long weekend in the cold and go without some sort of jumper? Is this truly now a required item to bring on overnight trips? Seems crazy to me and I've never had a bike do this to me and leave me with trepidation on a weekend trip. Not sure where to go from here. Gremlins run amok.

16. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I know that electrical gremlins can be a challenge - but someone who has the training and experience would be able to sort it out. It is only the "shade-tree" types (like me) that have to cope with issues that you cannot see, smell or hold that make it difficult.
    As I have posted before, I was very surprised that my battery flattened last year when I left the RS for 4 weeks. Doncaster BMW traced the reason to my permanently "hot" USB transformer. It drew a few milliamps. In real terms, bugger all. However, hour by hour something that was nothing, became something that was something, and dropped the voltage of the battery.
    An isolating switch has fixed my problem, but it did highlight the fact that if there is a drain on your battery, there is the technology to measure the ongoing loss. From that point, it is a question of isolating what part(s) of the electrical circuits remain "live" when the ignition is switched off. Any "leak" can be traced and fixed.

Just remember, just because people tell you that you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you. Same applies to bikes.

17. Stef

Stef Active Member

Ship the bike to Europe. We have real mechanics :)

SauRoN likes this.
  18. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

I had the battery issue, it was stuffed at 2500km and the bike was unreliable. The dealer tested it and said they wouldn't replace it, said it passed their tests - typical and all i would expect from a dealer - I then bought a new Yuasa battery (240 cranking amps as opposed to the factory 200), no problem since and stays charged even if unused for a couple of months. Apparently these bikes never sleep, the computer stays awake to avoid having to reboot it's tiny brain so there is a small power draw but it isn't a problem if you have a decent battery

Richard230 likes this.
  19. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

If your AGM battery suffers sudden-death syndrome, you can forget about using a jumper cable to get you moving again. I had two BMW's, a 2009 F650GS and a 2007 R1200R, suffer that problem (at 6 and 23 months, respectively) and each time a jump from a car battery got the bike started, but as soon as I removed the cables (not wanting to ride off with a car attached to my bike), the bike immediately died. I might add that both batteries were replaced by BMW per their 2-year battery U.S. warranty, once I had the bike towed into the shop and the battery was tested by my dealer. Interestingly, BMW's battery manufacturer, Exide, only warrants their batteries for 6 months. :confused:

20. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

When I picked up my previous RS (a 2015 Lupin) from it's 12.000 miles/20.000 km service, it would not start at the dealers! So they popped in a new battery. That died on me two weeks later when I had the RS packed for a night away with the RS, the ST and the RT. As the dealer had put it: probably a bug in the software update causing electrical draining... Hmmm. Anyways, that did it, on top of the inexplicable issue I had with the GASP going in to neutral from 3 to 2nd gear, I traded in both the R1200RS Lupin AND the Mrs. R1200ST for a brand new R1200RS. No issues so far. I learned a new software update had solved the battery drainage, they are still looking in to the GASP issue before putting the bike back on the market again (it has been just over a month now...).