No customization options are available.

Shaft Drive Improvements

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by duccrazydave, Oct 18, 2017.

1. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

I think there was a Lupin Blue bike in 2017. The Milwaukee, WI dealer has 2 - 2017 models listed on line, one being Lupin Blue. Also heard yesterday there is a Black R1200RS headed to a dealer in MN so guess the US might be getting some 2018 models in the early part of the sales year vs only 50 2017 models at the end of 2017.

2. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Bob Ain't Stoppin' Member

My bike shows a 10/16 build date. Sold to me as a '17 model and has gold calipers and red frame. How do I know if the tranny is the new or old? I understand the new is a shorter size and the starter is different, but without another unit sitting next to mine I can't tell which I have. The shifting is pretty good for me. It does clunk into first, and the 1-2 shift chatters into place most of the time. But otherwise it works great.

3. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

Hi Ged, interesting as I was wondering whether I had a 2016 or 2017 bike in June this year as it was lupin blue. I was told at the dealers today that if it had the reflectors on the front forks it was a 2017. for me the gear change if I use the clutch is smooth and sometimes depending on how I am ride the quick shift varies from smooth to a bit clunky but not unhappy with it, love it. just need to change screen after it blowing a hoolie in Holland on our way back from the BSB at Assen

4. darrell

image.jpeg
    Measuring your starter will likely answer your question if a 2016 or 2017/18. If it is shorter than 12.5 cm you have the updated transmission. The 2016 models measure exactly 12.5 cm end to end including the small indented part on the front end of the starter.

5. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

Lupin was still an option for 2017, the black/grey was dropped and the black/white/red frame was added.
    Clunk into 1st is better on the '17, 1-2 shift with GSAP is better than the '16. The jury is still out on my '17 as far as all the other shifts using GSAP. My '16 was better 3-4-5-6 than my '17. I am thinking I may need a "refresh" of the program. I get what I describe as a "hiccup" once in a while on upshifts.

Frank

6. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Bob Ain't Stoppin' Member

Thanks darrell. My starter is like yours at 12.5cm. Looks like they phased the new tranny in in calendar '17 rather than at the model year change. So I have an early model year '17 with red frame and old transmission.

7. Nordicmike

Nordicmike New Member

My build date is march 2017 but when i measure starter it appears to be 12.5cm. Any other way to check if i got an old transmission. I bought mine in spring 2017 assuming it would have the updates. But if the difference is not night and day then i'm not too bothered. Got a hankering to change it for a S1000rr which by all reviews i'v seen has a fantastic quickshifter. Not sure if the riding position would be too much of a pain though.

8. darrell

I'm now sort of questioning my post on the 12.5 cm based on the recent replies of others. Here are the part numbers from the fiche on MaxBMW and the date would indicate a change was made on all 2017 models. I cannot see the part number on mine so must be on the back side. As soon as I see a 2017 or 2018 model I'll measure the length unless someone else can find a length different than 12.5 cm.

Notes:
    APPLIES TO VEHICLES PRODUCED BEFORE
    7/2016: IF THE TRANSMISSION HERE HAS
    BEEN
    EXCHANGED, THE REQUIRED
    STARTER VARIANT ON THE
    VEHICLE IS TO BE CHECKED BEFORE
    ORDERING.
    # Part Number Description lb Qty Each
    01 12 41 8 526 230 STARTER - DENSO 4.32 1 $533.47[​IMG]

01 12 41 8 559 213 STARTER - DENSO 3.99 1 $533.47[​IMG]

9. boxter

boxter Active Member

In this country the 17 model is euro 4 compliant, in the case of mine the throttle is different, there is less power at the start to half throttle.

Ged

darrell likes this.
  10. darrell

Interesting. And that is the case regardless if in rain, road or dynamic modes?

11. boxter

boxter Active Member

Yes, they have all been backed off, Power was instant from throttle twist start on my 2016, but now it's from about a third of a turn.

Ged

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    darrell likes this.
  12. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

That’s my experience as well. The 2015 was more ‘urgent’ but not any quicker overall.

boxter likes this.
  13. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

You see, the story here is that the Lupin blue was so ridiculously quick when it came out that they have had to tone it down and ease the power off ....

Jim Evans, Phillo, Willy and 4 others like this.
  14. boxter

boxter Active Member

Like it Andy, truth was my 2016 WAS a lupin blue, new one is white grey :(

:)

Ged